Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just got back into the world of Porsche after a 2 year break. I previously owned a 2006 CS with 19's and pasm and the day to day ride was firm but fine. Ive just recently purchased a 2010 non pasm CS with 19's and im a bit shocked at how harsh the ride is.

One of the factors that might no be helping is the tyres are near the end of their life but still it was never something that I even thought about with my previous CS.

Im hoping that once I replace the tyres this will make an improvement but one other upgrade that I am looking at is the addition of Cayman R suspension. I would just like a bit of feedback from people who have done this mod and if they genuinely feel the ride was improved as well as the handling?

Im also looking at mitchelin pilot super sport tires as any feeback on these would also be much appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Cayman R suspension will improve handling but will be firmer. I use Michelin PSS as my street tires. They have a relatively soft sidewall and are comfortable to me. I doubt that your old tires are causing the rough ride. Have you checked the tire pressure?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
When my original Michelins PS2s got old (5 yrs and 18,000 miles) they got very hard which made the ride harsh. I have a 2008 non PASM with 19 inchers. Swapped to new Michekin PSSs and they made the ride MUCH more comfortable, in fact like night and day. My understanding of the R suspension is that it is firmer which would obviously make your ride firmer. Not something I'd want to do unless I was tracking regularly.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I had a 06 CS that I added the R suspension to the ride was a little firmer but very usable as a DD. Now have a CR and the ride is also very usable as a DD. The R Feels a little lighter from a steering standpoint with the spyder wheels. I agree with end of life comments and air pressure comments causing the harsher ride.
cman21

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im pretty sure the tyre pressures are correct but will look to get some new tyres asap and see if that helps. Im also thinking of the R suspension as it will lower the car as the non pasm sits a little high. Really don't fancy just adding springs to lower the car. Are there any other options to improve the ride and lower apart from a full set of coilovers?

·
Registered
261 Posts
What's your PSI at? Mine on the street (cold) is 31 front 36 rear. warmed up is 35 front 40 rear. I can feel the difference. But I'm also where it's only getting down into the 50's and I drive in the 70's

·
Registered
146 Posts
I changed from the stock sizes of ..

235/35R19 front
265/35R19 rear

to ..

245/35R19 front
285/35R19 rear

and experienced a very nice improvement in the ride quality.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
232 Posts
FWIW, I have an '06 CS with 19" wheels (non PASM) and the ride is pretty brittle over pavement cracks and sharp bumps.
New tires did not make any noticeable difference.
The only other 987 I have driven was a base 987.2 Boxster with 17" wheels. This was much smoother, as anticipated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I changed from the stock sizes of ..

235/35R19 front
265/35R19 rear

to ..

245/35R19 front
285/35R19 rear

and experienced a very nice improvement in the ride quality.

Hope that helps.
Have you noticed and downside to the change? Perhaps in handling?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Then I believe I'll follow suit because the ride is currently too rough with the 235/35R19 front/265/35R19 rear N2's.

Think I'll go to 245/35R19 front/285/35R19 rear Super Sports.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the factory bridgestones on my 2011 carrera GTS and the ride was genuinely awful for day to day use, and if i went to pasm sport, the stiffness was excessive. I had always wondered how much the ride was affected by the tires(and i had always heard birdgestones have stiff walls). I finally wore the bridgestones out and switched to my preferred Michelin PSS that I run on everything else. Long story short, the transformation of the ride from before to after was astronomical. In my experience with the GTS, tires fixed the car for me and made me keep it as a partial daily driver, as i was shocked that it was as stiff as my old gt3 to begin with. And from my experience, there is no better R compound street tire for grip in all conditions, ware and feel.

Reactions: KL Cayman

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thought I'd add an update. I ended up replacing the Pilot N2's with Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's.

Ride is about the same as before, maybe a fraction harsher, but the handling is light years ahead of the Michelin Pilot Sport N2's I had on it before. The difference is incredible. I've went from unhappy with the ride to totally OK with it given the handling performance I'm enjoying now.

Next stop is shocks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear all,

New member here and this is my first post. I have the same setup and complaints like the original poster but I have a different solution in mind:

- I like the handling as it is, it is plenty for road use and I do not want any more road noise from tires
- Our roads are crap (especially countryside) so I need a bit more sidewall for both ride and handling, but I do not like the look of 18" wheels (our winter setup)
- We have quite old and rock hard RE050s on the car and looking to take them off this spring

In that case would that be OK to go with 235/40/19 and 265/40/19 Michelin PSSs front and rear? Will I rub or will the electronics freak out? I know speedo will be off, OK with that, and I will not mod the suspension maybe except spacers.
This would be my #1 choice. If not advisable then I might go wider (245 or 255 in front, matching rear) but I am concerned the stock wheels will not like it, how wide can I go on turbo wheels? (8" front, 9.5" rear I suppose)

Currently I am running 35 profile winters in the rear (18" wheels, unable to find proper size) and the car had no complaints so far, so gathered more courage.

Thank you for replies in advance.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 2012 Cayman Non-PASM on 19" wheels shod with Pirellis P Zeros. I wouldn't call the ride overly harsh, but I must admit I wish it were just a bit more plush. While I like the look of the 19s, I find myself contemplating a move down to 18s. When my Pirellis are at end of life, I might try to find someone that wants to move from 18s to 19s and do a wheel swap.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Stridgey
since your post in November 2014, have you replaced your tires? I'm curious to know if the Mich. Pilot Super Sport tires have improved the harsh ride? I too had a very harsh ride on my 2008 non PASM CS. I replaced the worn rear tires with Mich . PSS and it significantly improved the ride. Whats your feed back? Robstnr

·
Registered
810 Posts
If you think your Porsche's stock suspension is "too harsh" then perhaps you've bought the wrong car. This is a high performance sports car, and that requires a stiff suspension- it really should have been from the factory with springs 2-3x stiffer than they are now. Buy a Cayman for the performance and appreciate it's handling qualities; don't buy it for image and complain about the harsh ride. If you want comfort, Lexus and Mercedes make much more comfortable cars.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
comfort or harshness is always going to be relative. If you stay in an area with poorer roads you will feel it more - no doubt.

I am running 2009 Cayman 2.9 with 19's no PASM and Michelin PSS 235 & 265 tyre combo in stock sizes.
before buying the car, I also asked fellow P9'ers if they felt there was a big difference between 19's and 18's as I felt the 19's were a little firm without PASM.
General consensus is that there wasn't much difference with the 18's. After testing a model with 18's I tend to agree.

However after about a month I think I may consider going wider later as some have suggested to make it more "livable" for those who live in city areas or poorer road repairs or travel across a wider variety of surfaces. As some have mentioned the tyres are sensitive to tyre pressures and I am currently experimenting with different pressures (running 33/35psi currently - previously used 32/34 and 34/37)
I like the PSS and the brand as I've had good experience with them on multiple rides. Good balance for daily use.

Here are some advantages of std suspension though...:
- more ground clearance for ramps/bumps/humps
- predictable suspension behaviour
- lower cost of replacements (plus you can always go after market if you wish)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Robustnr
Still not changed tires as waiting until they are done, should be few more month. Then I will defo be replacing them with a new set of mpss as most people have reported an improvement in the ride after these tyres were installed. Need to do something about the ride height as well but read so many conflicting reviews on suspension setups it's not easy to decide which way to go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts