Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just bought a 2010 make 987.2 Cayman with 58,000km.
It’s beautiful and I love it much.

I’m a quite “noise-sensitive” guy. After 500km driving it, I found 2 major noise:

1 The infamous B pillar squeak - solved;
2 The strange noise from engine bay of rear driver side - unsolved.

I searched a lot on the internet and below areas have been excluded from the cause:

1 Rear area trim panel;
2 Head liner;
3 Third brake light;
4 Quarter window;
5 Rear shade.

I did a lot of test trying to identify the source of the noise and so far can only trace to the engine bay of rear driver side. Please see below picture of the location.

(It’s not my car. I just use it for illustration.)
69831CAE-36D2-462C-BB42-F473F7B7AE8C.jpeg

I removed the rear trim panel behind the seats. When I put my hand on the right part of the engine bay, I could even feel the vibration. But when I reach my hand inside (behind the metal panel), there is nothing there slapping/ hitting at the back.

It happens only when the car is moving and is more obvious on the cobblestone road at low speed.

At first I thought it was the parking brake cable rattling because the tube guide of the cable is a little bit loose. But after I tightened the bolt fixing the tube, the noise is still there.

I tried to rev the engine at neutral and change the gear, no vibration. So I think it’s not the engine and transmission mount. The vibration/ sound is not originated from the spot i showed in the picture but is transmitted there directly. I am now suspecting the vibration coming from somewhere of the suspension at rear driver side and generating the noise at the spot I show.

Below is the video I took. I took of the carpet trim panel with insulation foam off but leave the metal lid of the front engine bay on. It reduced the engine noise a lot but makes the rattle noise quite obvious. When the carpet trim panel is on, it’s not that loud.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sorry I can't help but that rattle will get to me as well..

I get a different occasional random rattle... sounds like its from the exhaust...happens some times when I'm on normal drive mode and travelling at a speed lower then the gear it's meant for. Typically at below 2k rpm.. kinda like when I used to drive a manual in old days and too lazy to down shift at lower speeds and the exhaust(I think) rattles until speed and rpms pick up for that higher gear. Not sure if it's the same in your case. Your rattle doesn't sound like what I'm describing though but just thought I'd throw it out there. Mine is a 2010 CS PDK as well.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I had a rattle only when driving an certain types of pavement at just the right speed. Have you tried detaching that black "privacy" screen on the hatch? I had a similar rattle and was looked all over - removed carpet like you. Adjusted hatch bumpers. Added some cushioning rubber on the sides of the hatch where it hits the existing bumpers. Finally I disconnected that black screen and I haven't heard it since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a rattle only when driving an certain types of pavement at just the right speed. Have you tried detaching that black "privacy" screen on the hatch? I had a similar rattle and was looks all over - removed carpet like you. Adjusted hatch bumpers. Added some cushioning rubber on the sides of the hatch where it hits the existing bumpers. Finally I disconnected that black screen and I haven't heard it since.
Yeah, I have tried that. It’s not the culprit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Simple idea. Have you check the air filter and airbox?

what is the B-pillar issue? And solution?

gook luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

gook luck
Yes, I did. I also tried removing the upper engine lid and put my hands on the air filter box, it’s quite still when the rattle continues

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

gook luck
It’s the quarter window’s bolt near the seat belt guide got loose. Just tighten it. Don’t overturn. It will snap. I would suggest loose it first and re-tighten it. I ended up snapped the bolt. The bolt can not be replaced alone. It’s integrate in the quarter window. I went to the dealer and replaced the quarter window. The new window seems been updated. The bolt snapped became much bigger. I have driven several hundreds miles after the window being replaced, so far so good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts