Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Revhead
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I was just thinking a few weeks ago how strange this case was.... and suddenly I got struck by this too....
single click but no crank, jumpstart no effect, battery looks ok. starter issue as well.
It must be starter season. :/

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
starter fresh from the box....glad to have a car that starts again!

had to get some other items related to removal of the parts above the starter like the rubber gasket for the intakes that were showing their age.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was just thinking a few weeks ago how strange this case was.... and suddenly I got struck by this too....
single click but no crank, jumpstart no effect, battery looks ok. starter issue as well.
hi. this same thing just happened to me. 07 cayman s. manual. i replaced the starter with a good working used one and still have the same issue click no crank. were you able to resolve your issue with a starter replacement like the other guy on the messages or was your issue related to something else? please help lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
eldilf, since yours is a manual - is your clutch switch working properly?
thanks for replying. i did the bypass on it and still same reaction. i am now going to see about the relay in the trunk. i took them off to just take a quick look and one the terminals looks a bit blued as if a bit burnt. going to see about replacing that to just kind of rule things out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok so now i have had my car down for several months. replaced the starter and the clutch switch and still nothing but click no crank and car loses power after the click. i replaced a relay in the rear driver side who's part number indicated it was for the starter but nothing yet but click and loss of power. i hear there is another relay location under the dash over the fuse box? how many starter relays would this car have? lol im almost at the end of my rope in regards to patience in resolving this issue and thinking maybe its time to let a mechanic look at it. i just hate to not figure things out and fix them myself (of course with porsche owners' help) any other tips?

·
Registered
167 Posts
don't think its due to water - the starter is pretty high up around the same height as the AOS.
The techs did say its not uncommon for porsches around 8-10 years old to have this issue.

its more "frozen" or stuck.
Be interesting to try bonking the starter with a wood mallet before replacing it. That can sometimes bring them back to life if it's something like a worn brush. And brushes can be replaced.. there used to be auto electric shops that did starters and alternators. Drop off your non-working one - come back in a few hours, it will have new bearings, new brushes, etc. Usually around $40-50. Most of those are gone now.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
yes Don, to do the "seize" test for the cayman you need a long metal rod/screwdriver as well as the mallet (the starter is quite deep in) and you need another person to do it while you're cranking.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a shop to refurbish the starter within a reasonable time frame - and I wanted some peace of mind beyond the usual 2-6 months that refurbished equipment usually provides. I was once stuck on a slope in the middle of a convoy... and the car struggled to start! :eek:

eldif, you may want to take a voltmeter and check if the voltage is reaching the starter?

·
Registered
167 Posts
starter fresh from the box....glad to have a car that starts again!

had to get some other items related to removal of the parts above the starter like the rubber gasket for the intakes that were showing their age.

View attachment 265518
That's a new "reconditioned" starter. Bosch used to do that - sell to the aftermarket brand-new starters and alternators marked as "Bosch Reconditioned" - they did this so the aftermarket could sell them for half of what Mercedes, BMW and probably Porche were charging for their new ones. You might want to do two things - shoot a coat of clear lacquer on it before installing it (prevents rust and corrosion), and use some thick grease on the front pinion gear. You might put a bit on the shaft the pinion extends on too. And a tiny smear of grease around the part that fits into the bell-housing so if it ever needs to be removed it will come out easy.

But that's just me... most guys will slap it in and call it a day.. :D

21 - 31 of 31 Posts