Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Not sure how much of my basic knowledge from the 60's still applies, but the most common starter failure was the solenoid relay. When the ignition switch is turned on, a small electric current is sent through the starter solenoid. This causes the starter solenoid to close a pair of heavy contacts, thus relaying a large electric current through the starter motor, which in turn sets the engine in motion.

The symptom of a bad solenoid is either total silence, or just a click. A series of clicks usually indicates the battery is too weak to keep the contacts closed.

It is rare for an electric motor to just stop working. That's why I suspect in most cases it is the solenoid that failed. It used to be an easily replaced and cheap (< $50) part. On tiger's image, it is that cylindrical piece on top of the motor (pointed to by #20). Only held by a couple bolts. On the other end, a heavy +12V power cable. And a couple small wires from the ignition switch.

Doesn't Porsche sell a replacement for the solenoid any more? I guess they'd rather sell you a $1000 motor and $400 labor.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Not sure how much of my basic knowledge from the 60's still applies, but the most common starter failure was the solenoid relay. When the ignition switch is turned on, a small electric current is sent through the starter solenoid. This causes the starter solenoid to close a pair of heavy contacts, thus relaying a large electric current through the starter motor, which in turn sets the engine in motion.

The symptom of a bad solenoid is either total silence, or just a click. A series of clicks usually indicates the battery is too weak to keep the contacts closed.

It is rare for an electric motor to just stop working. That's why I suspect in most cases it is the solenoid that failed. It used to be an easily replaced and cheap (< $50) part. On tiger's image, it is that cylindrical piece on top of the motor (pointed to by #20). Only held by a couple bolts. On the other end, a heavy +12V power cable. And a couple small wires from the ignition switch.

Doesn't Porsche sell a replacement for the solenoid any more? I guess they'd rather sell you a $1000 motor and $400 labor.
Yup, my mech mentioned something about the solenoid which I of course understood nothing about. He also said the starter motor was weak. I think they sent out the starter motor for reconditioning so not sure how long that will last.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
for those curious - you can refer to the video posted by lonewolfsx to see how the starter works.
Start issue - spun up rpms with engine off? A few...

The common issue is apparently the "stuck" or "seized" gears which sometimes fails to extend or retract. That is why there is no cranking or a squealing sound that is a symptom for some. (I only encountered it once though).

It just seems weird that the built in obsolescence of this device seems to be around 8-10 years.

wmclarenf1 you can check the prices on the websites of the common parts sellers.
the choices locally for me were limited and priced approx 30% higher.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts