Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, quick story about me and my new to me 987.2 CS.

76k miles bought it sight unseen from a dealer in KY. Got it and it needed a clutch. It chattered and would slip a little. It had a really hard pedal and I figured that's how these things were. My previous car was a 2015 BMW M4 6 speed for reference.

I get a a new Sachs sport clutch and pressure plate. new luk DMF, oem throw out bearing, fork, pin, you name it.
I did not replace the clutch master or slave or anything with the pedal itself.

I'm super excited to get a car back that works nicely. But guess what, it sucks! the clutch still chatters but it holds nicely.
I live in San Francisco and cannot drive any repetitive hills for more than 20 minutes without smoking the clutch. It's absolute trash and it makes me want to sell this damn thing. i broke in the clutch gently over about 500 miles. I stall the car often and look like a total newb. stop and go traffic is an absolute nightmare. if you introduce a slight incline, forget it..

Is it just me? is it the sachs clutch kit? are these cars total crap in hilly areas for stop and go? someone help me?!! i don't want to sell this car but this one thing is the line in the sand for me.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My 987.1 clutch is no better or worse than that of the many other stick shift cars I've driven over the last 50 years. I've not heard people complain about the issue you describe, so have to assume something is wrong.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My current 07 Cayman and previous Boxster shifted fine, no issues. I assume you have something going on there that is out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I've been on these forum sites for over 10 years and your complaint is the only one I remember. So, either it is you or there is something wrong with your car. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't like driving mine in traffic or hills(like any manual) but I do it fine and its not like its undriveable...I'd do one of two things 1) go drive another one and see if its radically different 2) Let someone drive it other than you to see what they think

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been living here 15 years and have driven stick the entire time. Never had an issue until I bought this car. I just can't imagine what it might be. Installing a clutch is pretty straight forward, I don't think it's even possible to get the clutch disc installed backwards. I think I'll throw a clutch MC and slave at it next. and possibly go with a sachs oem instead of sport kit.

anyone in SF wanna drive my car??????

·
Registered
54 Posts
I get a a new Sachs sport clutch and pressure plate. new luk DMF
THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM RIGHT HERE. The Sport clutch has a sprung hub made for use with a single-mass flywheel. Mating two damped surfaces together can cause chattering like you've described.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM RIGHT HERE. The Sport clutch has a sprung hub made for use with a single-mass flywheel. Mating two damped surfaces together can cause chattering like you've described.
I don't think that is it. They said it works just like the oe clutch but handles extra power. the discs look identical with no spring hubs on it.
you can see a pic of the new sachs kit and then the old disc below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zgephAw9Q3w9cHBRA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JKxKyh4YaFRCVDL16

·
Registered
130 Posts
go drive someone else's stock 987.2 cayman s and report back

likely the issue is either the car or you or the clutch components in your car

·
Registered
32 Posts
Greetings to a Cayman. It has been said that our 987's are not the easiest 1st gear starters. I had a BN OEM clutch installed on my preowned '06 CS prior to accepting delivery (2nd gear felt similar to neutral on the test drive). Regardless, I knew I had to have the car after the first 500' of said test drive was completed, nothing like it for the money. Left my 3.0 V8 BMW MT behind in the deal. Well the Cayman was a bit more tricky to start off than the BM for sure. Reverse is close to first for one. Is there a 'hill holder' option on yours? Well some practice and experimenting with the clutch switch (easy surgery on the steering column) gained me some confidence. Never had trouble to the point of smell, chatter or smoking after the first 3-4 stalls were past me (remember to turn the darn key ALL the way left b4 restart!) I'm in upstate NY near the Adirondacks but still not as frequent hill starts as SF...but I do tend to agree that the clutch installation is afoul. Welcome and pls do keep us posted!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Have you checked the clutch peddle switch? Has it been bypassed by the PO? If so, you may try reconnecting it or if not, you may want to try bypassing it. Some like it bypassed others not. I tried it bypassed and had some similar drivability issues. It may have to due with all my mods, but I find it better to have it and haven’t noticed any degradation in performance as others mentioned. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
I’ve thought for years that my ‘06 CS was one of the toughest clutches to start off smoothly with that I’ve owned. My Mustang GT might have been more grabby.

Mine will chatter from time to time too, though not consistently.

I’ve owned mine from 12K miles to 33K miles so it’s the original clutch. I’ve bled the clutch cylinder to make sure it’s in good shape. It’s just the nature of this transmission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 06 S 6spd, and I'm just over the Bay from you. Works great and would be OK in SF for a few hills, but more then once in awhile and it would suck. 1st is very very tall and ment for track and flat starts. I think it tops out at +40mph, for reference my e46 BMW only goes to 25mph in first. In a hairpin turn on a back road I can downshift to first, not normal for a street car. I need to slip the hell out of it on hills. In general, if I'm going to be on a hill I try and plan to not stop if possible and creep up for a green light or a slow roll through a stop. Maybe that is why my clutch is working so well after 86kmiles. This maybe one of those items that Porsche did to dumb down the Cayman over the 911 using a very tall final drive gear. Second goes all the way to 80mph, what the hell!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I have an 08 Boxster S with a TPC turbo conversion. Shortly after adding the turbo, my stock clutch began to slip. No surprise, so I went ahead and contacted Sachs directly to see what they had as options for my set up. They ultimately recommended their Sport clutch with a higher clamping force pressure plate, I will look for the part numbers and post them later. I had the clutch installed by my local indy shop which is excellent. Immediately after picking up the car, I noted chatter in reverse and chatter in first. My mechanic suggested breaking it in moderately to get rid of the chatter. Eventually, the first year chatter went away and then the reverse chatter went away. For a while, the clutch did seem to hold the power quite well. However, now 14,000 miles later, the clutch is slipping. I am not going to replace it with another Sachs clutch since I am sure the same thing will happen again. I plan to install a Spec Stage 3+ clutch set up next.

-Franc

·
Registered
827 Posts
My clutch has always been a bit funky. Easy to stall out on take off. I found I can drive it smoothely by using my toes on the pedal. More control that way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have an 08 Boxster S with a TPC turbo conversion. Shortly after adding the turbo, my stock clutch began to slip. No surprise, so I went ahead and contacted Sachs directly to see what they had as options for my set up. They ultimately recommended their Sport clutch with a higher clamping force pressure plate, I will look for the part numbers and post them later. I had the clutch installed by my local indy shop which is excellent. Immediately after picking up the car, I noted chatter in reverse and chatter in first. My mechanic suggested breaking it in moderately to get rid of the chatter. Eventually, the first year chatter went away and then the reverse chatter went away. For a while, the clutch did seem to hold the power quite well. However, now 14,000 miles later, the clutch is slipping. I am not going to replace it with another Sachs clutch since I am sure the same thing will happen again. I plan to install a Spec Stage 3+ clutch set up next.

-Franc
This is exactly what I did, I contact SACHS too but I requested the sport clutch. They shipped the stuff and I had it installed with a new LUK DMF. Chattering right out of the box.
Based on the last few replies, sounds like these cars just kinda suck on 1st gear take off.
I'm hating it so much that I may just do it all over again but use a stock clutch instead of the sport.

What about the sport clutch disc with the oem pressure plate, anything there?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts