Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to install a COBB tune for both the engine and PDK on my ‘09 BS. I realize the there will be very little noticeable improvement in engine performance, but am hoping that I will like the improvement in the PDK’s operation. Does anyone have any good (or bad) experiences to report when installing a COBB tune on a 987.2?
Thanks in advance!

· Registered
67 Posts
I did a performance focused upgrade (did not do the upgrade for my PDK) on my 2010 BS a couple of years ago. Originally the upgrade included a COBB AccessPoint and custom tune (to incorporate new headers, throttle, etc.). Within the first six months, I started having power issues. The engine would suddenly go into "limp" mode. We (my Indy and I) never found a cause for the problem (part failure, driving style, etc.) and Fabspeed/COBB were of little to no help. They were aware of the issue - several other customers were having it - put were unable to determine the cause thus unable to fix it. During that period there were a couple of reports of the issue here and on RennList.
The only way to return the engine to reliability was to reflash the ECU with the stock Porsche tune. We finally removed the COBB tune and AP and installed a GIAC custom tune (with the reflash "wart"). Since then I've had no problems at all with "limp" mode and the performance appears to be every bit as good as the COBB custom tune.
As always, YMMV. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Joe Henley

· Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue with my 987.2 Cobb protune. Car goes into limp mode in cold weather on anything but the stock tune. I have to flash back every winter, super annoying. Cobb and the tuner had no idea and blamed eachother.

· Registered
2011 Cayman S, Sport Chrono
151 Posts
I’ve had some cold weather issues with my Cobb tune. This thread has some more details. It includes conversation about weak battery as well, but I suspect the Cobb tune is the underlying factor.

One other consideration besides the cold weather problems is that my OTS tune for 93 octane didn’t seem to deliver any noticeable change in power. To Cobb’s credit, the power claims for this tune are quite modest. And the car runs well under most conditions. But the cold weather problems are irritating.

· Registered
2 Posts
I got a softronics re map on my 987.2, 2.9L. I've never had any issues at all.. I don't know how much improvement was made.. Probably very small.. I was told there is very little overhead on the 2.9. The the throttle response and mid range torque seemed the biggest changes.. But that is just the butt dyno talking..
Mainly...no CEL.... No other issues... At all.

· Premium Member
56 Posts
wow...nice to know i'm not the only one. i told my shop, after returning the car 3 times for all of the above, call me when it's DONE. i get progress notes once a week, i'm just glad it's not summer. this is a well-respected shop and i not concerned. i found out that there are 2 levels of "limp mode", "White" and "Red"!...i cannot think of another "2 tier alert" notification.

· Registered
62 Posts
Just curious for those doing a COBB or Softronics tune - do you already have Porsche Sport+? Did the tune improve over Sport+. I have a PDK and just upgraded
sw to Sport+. Have literally just driven it home but will get it on the track for a test ASAP.

· Registered
67 Posts
Just curious for those doing a COBB or Softronics tune - do you already have Porsche Sport+? Did the tune improve over Sport+. I have a PDK and just upgraded
sw to Sport+. Have literally just driven it home but will get it on the track for a test ASAP.
Is your question regarding the PDK or engine? It's an important distinction.

I can't speak to the PDK tune; I haven't had one done. But I did have the base and a custom tune for the engine done (after adding headers, intake, and throttle upgrades). Once all the hardware upgrades were on, the difference in performance between stock tune and custom tune was quite appearant. I never tested the stock hardware performance difference of before/after tune.

My subjective (ie., non-dyno) priority for upgrades is (first to last): headers, custom tune, throttle body, IPD plenum, air filter. Umfortunately, that is the same squence as the cost. :)

· Registered
9 Posts
I have both the PDK tune and the Engine tune on my 981 CS. I have a BGB tune along with headers and there was a noticeable difference. The PDK tune is awesome if you have the 202 version the newer 400 tune is terrible and not worth it. Fortunately though you can't get the 202 from cobb since it's an off the shelf you can load it from another user.

· Registered
62 Posts
I am interested in both the engine and the PDK tune. On the COBB PDK tune, did you already have Porsche Sport+ installed and the Cobb PDK tune made a noticeable improvement? What was the improvement, quicker shifts, shifting at different RPMs, etc? Also when you track do you use paddles to shift or keep it in auto. Does the Cobb PDK tune improve paddle shifting?

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is your question regarding the PDK or engine? It's an important distinction.

I can't speak to the PDK tune; I haven't had one done. But I did have the base and a custom tune for the engine done (after adding headers, intake, and throttle upgrades). Once all the hardware upgrades were on, the difference in performance between stock tune and custom tune was quite appearant. I never tested the stock hardware performance difference of before/after tune.

My subjective (ie., non-dyno) priority for upgrades is (first to last): headers, custom tune, throttle body, IPD plenum, air filter. Umfortunately, that is the same squence as the cost. :)
Can you share which headers you installed? Also which exhaust you put on with them?

· Registered
67 Posts
I started by replacing my stock exhaust with a PSE installed by my Indie. I really liked the sound when open and the ability to quiet it down on the drive thru the neighborhood. After about a year I did the performance uogrades which included the Fabspeed Sport headers. These have 200 cell cats (half the stock 400 cells). With the combination of PSE and Sport headers I have no problems with drone. With WOT, preferrably up a slight incline, the sound is GLORIOUS!
Joe Henley

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I started by replacing my stock exhaust with a PSE installed by my Indie. I really liked the sound when open and the ability to quiet it down on the drive thru the neighborhood. After about a year I did the performance uogrades which included the Fabspeed Sport headers. These have 200 cell cats (half the stock 400 cells). With the combination of PSE and Sport headers I have no problems with drone. With WOT, preferrably up a slight incline, the sound is GLORIOUS!
Joe Henley
Can’t wait … don’t have the PSE, so planning to put fabspeed max-flo, w a COBB 93 tune. Got some work done this week on wheels, taillights, spoiler, vents, badges.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well… interesting news regarding my COBB ECU and PDK upgrades; first, they have a fix for cold weather for the ECU tune. I threw a check engine code and needed the fix which they immediately sent to me. Second, the PDK tune was t possible due to the fact that I have an earlier version of software for my PDK which needs to be updated. So COBB sent me a service bulletin to get this done at a dealership (it’s a dealer only upgrade). Over all great service and pleased with their follow through. Will post again when I get the new tunes actually installed.

· Registered
67 Posts
Ljoy,
Here's hoping it all works out for you. In my case, three (as I recall) "fixes" and it never quite got fixed. It's been several years since my experience, I hope yours different than mine and is complertely successful. Good luck!

Joe Henley

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ljoy,
Here's hoping it all works out for you. In my case, three (as I recall) "fixes" and it never quite got fixed. It's been several years since my experience, I hope yours different than mine and is complertely successful. Good luck!

Joe Henley
[/QUOTE
Thanks … I was more than a little tense today while we were sorting out what happened. Do you still have your Cayman or Boxster?

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yup. 2010 BS.

Joe Henley
I am really happy with my ‘09. Just trying to fight off a very bad case of 911-itis… have my eye on a couple of 981’s that are dropping in value almost daily. Hoping I can keep my wallet in my pocket and NOT buy one (which would require me to sell the BS).

So, I flashed the ‘fix’ and it didn’t work either … about to call Nick at COBB … will let you know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts