Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, By introduction, in final process of taking possession of a 2009 CS with LSD and PASM. What are the must have occasional tracking mods? Only thing missing for DE days is the sport chrono. Wondering how much of a difference that makes? The sales brochure makes it sound pretty nice. The clutch was slipping so the dealer has put in a new Sachs clutch. Got it for $33K with 19K miles. Seems to be a pretty good deal from what I've been reading, so I jumped in. Prior DE cars were '03 C4S and still have my '02 turbo. Looking forward to more precise cornering in the CS on technical tracks. Going today to put a check down on the CS!

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hello And Welcome Dave.

Fine looking Cayman and my favorite color. And you got a great deal.

Others will chime in with track info, but I suggest tracks pads, SS brake lines, track fluid and GT3 brake master cylinder to start.

Eddie

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Sport Chrono usefulness is greater with PDK than a manual. Lots of discussion elsewhere on the site about differences between Sport and Sport Plus...but the consensus is SC is a must have for a PDK car (especially one that is tracked)...not really necessary with a manual gearbox.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Congrats on the new car. They do look good in Guards Red.

As far as track use is concerned, I only changed my fluid to Motul 600, fitted SS lines and GT3 front cooling ducts and have had no issues whatsoever. I guess it depends on the ambient temperatures, but we don't have to worry too much about it getting too hot in the UK.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Congrats Dave, that one is a beauty!
Are these wheels common on 987.2 ? The reason I ask is, I bought a 2010 CS and mine came with the same wheels.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Agree with the others' recs... pads, fluid prob the two most important things for track use for you. For me, the third radiator (Suncoast has the kit) was a must also due to recurrent overheating. GT3 brake ducts are cheap too, so why not?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
THAT was a great deal! As far as track prep, All I did was fresh DOT4 and Stoptech 309 pads and fresh oil. (I use Mobil 1 5W50 ) Depends on how hard you want to push it. Pretty quick as is. Especially on a technical track like Barber or Atlanta Motorsports Park.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Congrats and welcome nice car and great price!!

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Hi All, By introduction, in final process of taking possession of a 2009 CS with LSD and PASM. What are the must have occasional tracking mods? Only thing missing for DE days is the sport chrono. Wondering how much of a difference that makes? The sales brochure makes it sound pretty nice. The clutch was slipping so the dealer has put in a new Sachs clutch. Got it for $33K with 19K miles. Seems to be a pretty good deal from what I've been reading, so I jumped in. Prior DE cars were '03 C4S and still have my '02 turbo. Looking forward to more precise cornering in the CS on technical tracks. Going today to put a check down on the CS!
Your car doesn't count as being added to the garage until you click this link and add it! :)

Planet-9 - VB Pro Garage

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Caymans hit the track running and need few modifications, with one exception. The brakes are known to get a bit spongy when they heat up. The only mods I would go with for the first time at the track would be racing pads (I prefer Pagid Yellows, but Hawk and PFC have many fans on this site, too), braided stainless steel brake lines and racing brake fluid (I use Castrol SRF, many use Motul 600) and GT3 brake ducts up front. (They're only about $40.00 and quickly snap in place.)

I also installed a GT3 master cylinder, which has a 25% wider bore, so it pushes more fluid and firms up the pedal, but you only need this if you're still getting a spongy pedal after going with the braided brake lines and racing fluid.

I just bought my wife a 2011 CS today for her use as a track car (yes, I'm fortunate enough to have a wife who loves the track and is Solo qualified), so I'll soon be doing all of the above to her car, too.

Welcome to the club...And have fun!

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
btw, you stole that car from the dealer.. those about 40's around here..

awesome buy..

Lemon

Agreed. Makes me feel like I paid way too much for mine. PASM --- Zenons---- Not black. Exactly what I was looking for in Spring of 2013 and couldn't find. I wouldn't sell mine NOW for $33k and it has 62000 miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for the welcome. In cannot figure out why it is so cheap, but it was not even offered up for sale yet. A friend from the P club has his pristine 914-6, 997 GT3 and Cup Car serviced there, told me about it. He was going to buy it, but declined and told me of it.

Great tips on the brakes, already have the GT3 ducts since I was going to throw them on my turbo next track event.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats Dave, that one is a beauty!
Are these wheels common on 987.2 ? The reason I ask is, I bought a 2010 CS and mine came with the same wheels.
They were an option, doubt many Caymans had them. I also have the wide 997 TT versions on my 996 turbo. They do look badass.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Welcome! and of course congrats ;)

Track mods ... track pads + fluids would be much needed. Also try to push the alignment to have more negative camber (which isn't much you can do with stock suspension, but get as much as you can). Run a search on that topic as others with experienced would be able to chime in. The camber will save your tires. Might be even worth it to go GT3 lower control arms if you do track quite a bit. The cost will come back through less frequent tire changes.

Otherwise the list can go on forever if you get itchy as i soon found out. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quick question, can I use GT3 ducts (plug n play) on a 987.2 BS as well? Or is it just for the caymans?

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Well bought at 33K, congratulations and welcome. Maybe you were just at the right place at the right time especially with the weather. I don't imagine sports cars and motorcycles are big movers at this time of year. I would have expected something closer to the 40's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well bought at 33K, congratulations and welcome. Maybe you were just at the right place at the right time especially with the weather. I don't imagine sports cars and motorcycles are big movers at this time of year. I would have expected something closer to the 40's.
That was also a thought. I'm on 19 day vacation south, so dealer is sitting on it and a check till I get back. Pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts