Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bit bit of a scare recently where the power seemed to switch itself off. I hadnt driven for 3 days, started the engine drove for about a minute and then as i took a corner at a slow speed the power went, locking the steeing wheel, switching off the engine and the handbrake seemed to also be immobolised. Has only Has anyone has a similar experience? The cars seems to be fine now but would be very worrying if it happened at speed. There are no warning signs on the system at all.

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
816 Posts
Did you lose power to all your accessories (dash, radio, etc.) or just engine died?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure to be honest it happened quickly, i just remember that the engine cut out and the steering wheel locked. ive just noticed that 3 out of 4 of the PDK indicators are no longer appearing -P,R,N only D gears appear. Could a fuse have blown?

·
Registered
273 Posts
When you say "locked" did you just lose power steering or did the steering wheel physical lock engage like when you turn off the car?

You sure about the handbrake? That's a purely mechanical system and separate from the standard brakes: I can't see any way for it to not work in a power loss situation.

On most cars I'd be looking at a faulty ignition switch in the case of a "lost all electrical power" situation, but the Cayman is more high-tech than most stuff I tinker on so I suspect there's probably other potential causes. You might try jiggling the key or banging around the ignition switch while the car is running to see if you can replicate the problem?

·
Administrator
'11 Cayenne TT, '09 Boxster
856 Posts
The handbrake is strictly mechanical - no idea what you mean by immobilized. The steering likely wasn't locked - it was probably without power due to the engine stopping (no power steering pump will work without a working engine.) the PDK display is odd and a bit concerning.

Do you have diagnostics equipment? Chances are somewhere an error code is stored in some module indicating what the cause of the problem was. It might be as simple as a worn out ignition switch, or it could be more complex. Without diagnostics you're just throwing stuff in the wind and hoping something might help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The handbrake is strictly mechanical - no idea what you mean by immobilized. The steering likely wasn't locked - it was probably without power due to the engine stopping (no power steering pump will work without a working engine.) the PDK display is odd and a bit concerning.

Do you have diagnostics equipment? Chances are somewhere an error code is stored in some module indicating what the cause of the problem was. It might be as simple as a worn out ignition switch, or it could be more complex. Without diagnostics you're just throwing stuff in the wind and hoping something might help.
Thanks i think youre right, it feels like an electrical failure which stalled the engine and stopped the pump powering the power steering. ill take it to a garage to have a diagnostics check

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you say "locked" did you just lose power steering or did the steering wheel physical lock engage like when you turn off the car?

You sure about the handbrake? That's a purely mechanical system and separate from the standard brakes: I can't see any way for it to not work in a power loss situation.

On most cars I'd be looking at a faulty ignition switch in the case of a "lost all electrical power" situation, but the Cayman is more high-tech than most stuff I tinker on so I suspect there's probably other potential causes. You might try jiggling the key or banging around the ignition switch while the car is running to see if you can replicate the problem?
So i took the 987 to the mechanic and had a a diagnostics check. All that came up was there were some readings of fluctuations in power. Nothing really specific. They then checked the battery and found whoever owned the car previously had put the cheapest battery possible in there and it was not adequate. I think it was Lion car battery, theyve now replaced that with Bosche! As for the P,R,N not being on the screen and only the gear numbers in D, they said they dont think porsche had those in there anywhere, and its just the right light signalling which you are in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So i took the 987 to the mechanic and had a a diagnostics check. All that came up was there were some readings of fluctuations in power. Nothing really specific. They then checked the battery and found whoever owned the car previously had put the cheapest battery possible in there and it was not adequate. I think it was Lion car battery, theyve now replaced that with Bosche! As for the P,R,N not being on the screen and only the gear numbers in D, they said they dont think porsche had those in there anywhere, and its just the right light signalling which you are in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The battery is a big player in this car. Hopefully that will resolve everything. I had my first battery start to fail, and got a “Transmission Failure, Entering Limp Mode” (something like that) while driving. My bank account fled for the Cayman Islands at the thought of a PDK replacement. These cars are heavily dependent on computerized systems, so a great battery is important.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts