Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

For a few years now, I drive a 987.2. Love the car! But I hope one of you can help me out, I'm currently changing a few things, bigger wheels (997 4S 19") and a KW suspension kit V3 (ordered today :cool: ). Making it like I always wanted it to be!

Now there's one more thing I would like also, when I start her up cold, it is really brutal but after a few seconds it is quiet again. Does it have valves or something standard? Is there a way to always have that sound without a full replacement of the exhaust system? An affordable way :) ?

I don't have the sport exhaust, no buttons inside ...

Thx!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
That is normal on any Porsche, PSE or not. It is for emission purposes, and what you are hearing the is the ECU running the car rich as well as altering the valve timing for a few seconds in order to rapidly heat the catalytic converters up. Its literally creating a fireball in the cats to get them hot.

There is a myth that is constantly circulated around on the forums that this noise on PSE cars is caused by the valves opening up on cold start and then closing when it goes quiet, but this is incorrect. Exhaust valves have nothing to do with this sound, and the valves on PSE do NOT open on cold start. The sound is identical even if you were fix the valves either open or closed permanently, or in your case where the exhaust has no valves at all

There is a simple mod that many have done where the clamps on the crossover pipes behind the "T" for the tips are bolted on are loosened and then adjust over to one side, and then you can tune the loudness to your liking by adjusting how much the clamps cover the open slot between the two muffler sides. Do a search for "Porsche free exhaust sound mod" and bunch of threads and even YT videos discussing it with details should come up

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. Im happy someone with knowledge responded ;-). And I will search for the tip you gave me. Have a nice day!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts