Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Excellent- With Wavetrac, when you have an unloaded inner wheel, the Giken will not transmit power across the diff to the loaded one, which happens more than you would think. Wavetrac has a power slider that does transmit this power across to the weighted tire. It happens so fast that I don't even know it happening, just that both rear wheels are fully pulling. What is mind blowing is that with both of these rear tires fully pulling, I have yet to experience a snap oversteer on exit. My front tires are a bit rougher from more sliding, but not enough to cause noticeable understeer.

Reactions: Saabretooth

·
Vendor
455 Posts
I've had a chat with Matt and he's been kind to let me know that Guard no longer builds LSD for Open Diff PDK applications.

It's positioned as a Motorsports product and have not been able to get cooling of the transmission at the highest possible standards he expects and has decided not to pursue this product line.

I respect his integrity to not put out a product that works only partially to his expected levels. Might revisit Guard in the future with a different car down the road.

So at the moment I'm exploring both Wavetrac and OS Giken open diff replacement LSD.
I'm not surprised, most PDKs we see at the track have overheating issues.. Matt is a good guy and really sharp. I was thinking about putting a PDK in my 500+hp Cayman and had talked to Matt about it a few years ago. Small market and parts for those transmissions are a PITA...

I run the Gikens front and rear in my 600whp sequential transmission STI race car. They work REALLY well.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Josh, Does this mean that no PDK transmissions will be supported by Guard due to the heat produced by the clutches? What will happen to those PDK owners who already have a Guard installed? Is Matt saying that the temperature rise caused by the clutches be enough to impact the longevity of the transmission?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Josh, Does this mean that no PDK transmissions will be supported by Guard due to the heat produced by the clutches? What will happen to those PDK owners who already have a Guard installed? Is Matt saying that the temperature rise caused by the clutches be enough to impact the longevity of the transmission?
My understanding is that only for those that didn’t come from factory with LSD only.

Those with factory LSD PDK is still supported

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
455 Posts
Apex1,
If you're interested in one of Matt's GT diffs give him a call. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer all your questions.

I haven't talked to Matt about PDK diffs in a couple of years, sounds like my info is out of date.

Josh

·
Registered
81 Posts
Building on Apex's favored pick. Check out the 911 RSR turbo monster tribute in this month's Excellence, it mentions the wavetrac as a chosen component.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts