Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unable to find any specific DIY info on the 987.2 engine. There is quite a bit of articles on the 987, but nothing I can find on the 987.2.

Does anyone have any advice on the differences on changing the serpentine belt on the 987.2 from a 987?

-Callahan-

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do you know at what age or mileage this belt should be changed at?
I have read that the serpentine belt should be changed "every 90,000 km or every 6 years" (or 60,000 miles...)

Many Planet-9ers keep spare serpentine belts in their cars and change their serpentine belts at 40K-50K miles. If the belt goes you can be stranded a while waiting on a replacement.

A few other Internet sites say that the 987.2 changing of the serpentine belt is different from the 987 and more like changing the belt on a 981 (I have not verified this yet.)

There is a ton of DIY articles on the changing the 987 serpentine belt and someone on Youtube has a video of doing it under 3 minutes... :)

Here is the video (not sure if this site allows this):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B68RTFIjbE

-Callahan-

·
Registered
98 Posts
My car is an 07 with 55k, I bought a belt and opened up the engine compartment only to find the original still in excellent shape. So the belt is in the trunk just in case. Speaking to a few other Boxster owners they all have told me they still have the original belt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bump - would also like to find some 987.2 specific info; Pelican Parts has a helpful DIY for the 986, which I gather may be a bit of a different procedure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bump - would also like to find some 987.2 specific info; Pelican Parts has a helpful DIY for the 986, which I gather may be a bit of a different procedure.
It sucks that there's no good DIY on this topic. I'm relatively new to this forum.

I recently faced a really weird issue:
The top bolt which holds the idler pulley on my 987.2 base Cayman, sheared off. The belt obviously came off and I pulled over, but I have no idea how and why would that happen (50k miles).

I just bought a new bolt and tensioner, installed everything, but I'm not able to put the belt on -- using a torx socket and rachet on the pulley and going clockwise isn't working. What am I doing wrong here?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
574 Posts
It sucks that there's no good DIY on this topic. I'm relatively new to this forum.

I recently faced a really weird issue:
The top bolt which holds the idler pulley on my 987.2 base Cayman, sheared off. The belt obviously came off and I pulled over, but I have no idea how and why would that happen (50k miles).

I just bought a new bolt and tensioner, installed everything, but I'm not able to put the belt on -- using a torx socket and rachet on the pulley and going clockwise isn't working. What am I doing wrong here?

Any help would be appreciated.
I can sympathize with you and the issue you have has occurred to both me and yesterday, my Dad. We both have 06 CSs. Since it happened on mine first, when he rebuilt the engine in his he replaced the OE 8.8 bolt with a 12.9, which I suppose is stronger. The 12.9 bolt sheared off too! There must be a heckuva lotta tension on these serpentines! Also, on mine he said the surface of the rollers where the belt rides was somewhat melted!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can sympathize with you and the issue you have has occurred to both me and yesterday, my Dad. We both have 06 CSs. Since it happened on mine first, when he rebuilt the engine in his he replaced the OE 8.8 bolt with a 12.9, which I suppose is stronger. The 12.9 bolt sheared off too! There must be a heckuva lotta tension on these serpentines! Also, on mine he said the surface of the rollers where the belt rides was somewhat melted!!!!
Thanks, Boiler Inspector.

I wonder how many such issues have been documented so far. Crazy stuff!
I am planning on replacing mine with a stainless steel one.

I'm also having trouble will installing the belt. The 987.2 layout is slightly different from 987.1.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong here? I'm using a torx socket and rachet on the idler pulley and going clockwise, but that isn't working..

·
Registered
574 Posts
I don't know as I don't have a 987.2. There is an article for your car on Cayman Register; if you are a PCA member you can request admin approval:

Cayman Register

There are some DIYs on Rennlist for the 997.2, which I am sure is slightly different due to where the engine is mounted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK - so here is the answer on this topic.

I have a 2009 Porsche Cayman. The engine is the 2.9 L base engine. This model is the 987C Generation II (987C.2) or 9A1 engine. The replacement of the serpentine belt is exactly as readily available online, as in the attached video. However the belt tensioner is completely different. The pulley itself has a plastic cap and underneath a 8 MM XZN Spline Drive nut. You do not need to take off this cover or use an XZN driver, it is not relevant unless the pulley is being replaced which is not needed for serpentine belt replacement. This is different than the prior engine configurations which belt tension was released by using a 24 MM socket directly on the nut of the tensioner pulley.

Next to the pulley is a large fixed connection point (six point nut of sorts) on the arm of the tensioner apparatus. This fits a 3/4" 30 MM drive socket or open ended wrench, either will work. If you use a 3/4" 30 mm drive socket you will need a 3/4" breaker bar (not a ratchet) because of space limitations. Apply torque clockwise and tension is released. This apparatus will not retention due to a shock type tensioner allowing easy removal, until you retension counterclockwise after the new belt is on. This is also different than prior models.

IMG_2586.JPG

[h=1]Video:
How to change a Porsche Boxster drivebelt in 3minutes
[/h]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did not need to take driver side seat out by the way. Just taking the passenger seat out left me enough room. I even left the seat connected so as to not get any codes when I was done. Just padded the door sill and left the seat there.

·
Registered
895 Posts
So, unbolted the passenger seat from the floor and moved it forward, still connected, as much as possible? I'm trying to picture this in my mind's eye.

Thanks,

Eddie

I did not need to take driver side seat out by the way. Just taking the passenger seat out left me enough room. I even left the seat connected so as to not get any codes when I was done. Just padded the door sill and left the seat there.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I was able to do the job without removing the seats at all, just folded the backs down and slid both of them as far forward as they would go. I sat on a stool placed by the side of the car and leaned in with my upper body. Worked great, and it was a quick job.

This is in a 987.1, but I doubt if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was able to do the job without removing the seats at all, just folded the backs down and slid both of them as far forward as they would go. I sat on a stool placed by the side of the car and leaned in with my upper body. Worked great, and it was a quick job.

This is in a 987.1, but I doubt if that makes a difference.
Yes, no need to remove the seats to change out the belt in either the 987.1 or.2. my seats slide forward enough that you can put your feet or knee(s) on the floor of the car between the seat backs and the bulkhead. I have manual seats in both and access is the same. I don't know if power seats make any difference in this access though.

Also, with the tension release device that the 987.2 has, the belt is easier to change than in the 987.1. In the 987.1 you have to keep tension on the wrench/breaker bar while sliding the belt onto the roller. In the 987.2 you release the tension by 'camming it over", and you can set down the breaker bar and feed the belt onto the roller with both hands, and then apply tension again with the breaker bar.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
please check #7 .. while installing in the new belt.. make sure its free and does not bind in any way.. thats usually the culprit for people doing it again..

Lemon

1 - 20 of 32 Posts