Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My stock brake discs/rotors are getting close to the 26 mm wear limit (front) and it's thus close to replacement time. I'll replace rears as well. Of course, I can buy the OEM Porsche ones for about $365 a front pair from Suncoast on sale (normally $410), or I can go the replacement route (drilled) with sebro ($220 pair pelican parts), zimmerman ($250 pair pelican parts) or brembo ($290 pair pelican parts or $220 autozone -- yes, they sell them, shockingly). 2010 Porsche Boxster S Convertible - Brake Pads & Rotors - Page 4

I've seen feedback here for the zimms and sebro, but not the brembo stock size (318mm). I do not need to upgrade size, so NOT looking at DBA, Brembo's Big brake kit, Girodisks, etc. Stock size with stock textar sport pads (cayman R) are fine for my yearly DE's and my driving style.

So, having said all that, can anyone provide feedback on the stock replacement brembo rotors/discs ?

:cheers: thanks.

EDIT: so autozone is running a cyber monday deal 20% off.... so all 4 brembo rotors (part nos. 09C09511 FR, 09C09411 FL, and 9889021 rears) fitting 987.2 boxster/cayman can be had for $338 before taxes. Way to tempting if they are OEM like quality....

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have been disappointed by drilled rotors (I installed new Sebro ones a year ago) on my Cayman. There is quiet a bit of cracking around the holes, and the thickness is getting close to minimum already. I do track my car (done about 10 track days past season) and use racing pads for this purpose, so I realize this wears out the rotors faster. I also hate the fact that the holes get clogged up with brake dust. So I am going with slotted rotors next. I have not tried Brembo rotors, but I am pretty sure they only offer drilled.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks olegd for your feedback. Your thoughts regarding the sebro rotors are consistent with what I have read elsewhere: yes they are cheaper than stock, but not last as long. The stock porsche rotors are apparently made by SHW (see here, Monobloc Brake Discs the pic of the drilled rotor looks exactly like the OEM Porsche ones, down to the stamp for L and R side).

I don't mind the drilled rotors as my stock ones have not shown any stress cracks whatsoever after 10+ days of track days and over 30,000 miles of daily use. They are just getting to be a 26.4mm wear in the front, which is approaching the 26 mm minimum thickness. I may give the brembo rotors a go as I can get all four from AutoZone for about $330 for the cyber Monday deal.

If anyone else has experience with brembo, please do share. Thanks

Reactions: KL Cayman

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
bit the bullet and purchased the brembos from autozone. the price was just to good to pass up with the cyber monday 20% off plus $20 free cash deal at autozone. all 4 discs came out to $318 plus tax. should be here next week. I'll post follow up later, as I don't plan on installing them until the spring DE season starts. Discs are coated, which is nice so the hats should hold up well to rust, and are "high carbon" iron content which supposedly helps durability.

for posterity, posting link to the spec sheets for the rotors from brembo's website: https://www.bremboparts.com/america/en/catalogue-us/porsche-2010-boxster/006055

autozone link: https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-rotor

part nos. 09.C095.11 Front right, 09.C094.11 Front left , and 9889021 rears. For some weird and unexplained reason, the front left disk is $20 more than the front right. makes no sense to me.

images below:

Text Technical drawing Vehicle brake
Disc brake Auto part Vehicle brake Clutch part Automotive brake part

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
bit the bullet and purchased the brembos from autozone. the price was just to good to pass up with the cyber monday 20% off plus $20 free cash deal at autozone. all 4 discs came out to $318 plus tax. should be here next week. I'll post follow up later, as I don't plan on installing them until the spring DE season starts. Discs are coated, which is nice so the hats should hold up well to rust, and are "high carbon" iron content which supposedly helps durability.

for posterity, posting link to the spec sheets for the rotors from brembo's website: https://www.bremboparts.com/america/en/catalogue-us/porsche-2010-boxster/006055

part nos. 09.C095.11 Front right, 09.C094.11 Front left , and 9889021 rears; images below:

View attachment 175770 View attachment 175778
Looks like you made a wise decision, based on your experience and intended use. Please follow up with your driving impressions after you've used them for a while.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks and will do. let's see how long they last...they can't be THAT bad and just too darn cheap for a quality brand name.

my DE's are at road america and gingerman, and I've had 7-8 or so weekends (I go once or twice a year depending on year) ...some 1 days and some 2 day weekends in intermediate run groups. so I guess in context, the stockers have lasted pretty well... I have gone through 3 pad changes (stock sport textar pads) through 50% wear limit on them, then put back in box for street use, and still have slightly over 26 mm of disk "meat" left in the fronts, although a lip is showing.
another plus on the brembos, each disk comes with the 2 mounting small screws...so saving .75 cents per screw :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:. I did order 8 new caliper bolts form suncoast... I don't mess with those once calipers come off...

:cheers:

Reactions: KL Cayman

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have been disappointed by drilled rotors (I installed new Sebro ones a year ago) on my Cayman. There is quiet a bit of cracking around the holes, and the thickness is getting close to minimum already. I do track my car (done about 10 track days past season) and use racing pads for this purpose, so I realize this wears out the rotors faster. I also hate the fact that the holes get clogged up with brake dust. So I am going with slotted rotors next. I have not tried Brembo rotors, but I am pretty sure they only offer drilled.
Exactly my experience. I ran both Zimmerman and slotted or plain Sebro for 10 yrs on my 986 Boxster logging over 100 track days. The Zims were a little more $$ but seemed to last a bit longer. Both managed heat well with no other issues.

On my 987.2 the stock Porsche drilled rotors are quite a bit larger and wear well but after 30 track days they look like Humpty Dumpty with cracking everywhere. I barely passed tech at the last event due to the cracking so I am going back to Sebro slotted from Pelican. Fresh rotors and pads are on my workbench and I hope to get this done tomorrow.

Reactions: olegd

·
Registered
923 Posts
thanks and will do. let's see how long they last...they can't be THAT bad and just too darn cheap for a quality brand name.

my DE's are at road america and gingerman, and I've had 7-8 or so weekends (I go once or twice a year depending on year) ...some 1 days and some 2 day weekends in intermediate run groups. so I guess in context, the stockers have lasted pretty well... I have gone through 3 pad changes (stock sport textar pads) through 50% wear limit on them, then put back in box for street use, and still have slightly over 26 mm of disk "meat" left in the fronts, although a lip is showing.
another plus on the brembos, each disk comes with the 2 mounting small screws...so saving .75 cents per screw :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:. I did order 8 new caliper bolts form suncoast... I don't mess with those once calipers come off...

:cheers:
Hi Tango,

I;m looking to change my front brakes. How're the brembo rotors holding up?

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
258 Posts
Any lesser braking power and performance compared to the stock brakes from Porsche?

Hope no noticeable brake screeching too.. I am tempted to replace the stock Porsche disc and pads with Brembos, which happen to be half the price!

Thanks, @caps59 and all!

Hi All.

i installed rear Brembo discs on my 987.1. They are a perfect fit and perform well. You won"t regret your decision. Enjoy, j

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.