Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New comer here, please bear with me. I just bought my first porsche, (2005 S Manual) and while getting tires changed my tire tech showed me an oil leak under the car with fairly fresh oil from the looks of it. Is this something I need to worry about? Pictures attached.

P.S. in the second picture, it looks as though you can see gears through the case... is this normal and what is this?
Thanks, I'm still learning.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can't say on the first photo - the 2nd photo shows the flywheel gear that is used by the starter to spin the engine. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congratulations on becoming a Porsche Boxster owner! Your oil leak looks similar to one I had in my 2005 BS. It turned out to be a rear main seal (RMS) leak that I have just replaced along with a new IMS bearing and flywheel/clutch/pressure plate. It doesn't look like much of a leak from your photo so I would just check how much oil is leaking over the next few weeks of driving and then decide when you want to fix it. Here's what my leak looked like (even though the oil had collected around the IMS flange, the leak was actually coming from the RMS):

It was a small leak but by the time the oil reached the bottom of the bell housing it looked worse than what it really was.

RobT

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts