Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Administrator
2,222 Posts
For some reason only hollow centered bit worked for me (t15):

I'm glad i've bought in the past a set of various bits shapes - this is a must with the German car.
PSSTTT.... the screw is a T20, not a T15. I've seen it referred to as a T15 in several articles about doing the elastics so I tried a T15. The T15 catches just enough of the splines that it can be used to unscrew the screw and screw it back in, but it's WAY easier to do with the correct size Torx - which seats itself quite securely in the screw Torx socket, making it much less likely the screw is going missing while working with it. I'm guessing some time long ago in a land far away someone posted it was a T15.. and the mistake was started and just continued.

· Registered
4 Posts
PSSTTT.... the screw is a T20, not a T15. I've seen it referred to as a T15 in several articles about doing the elastics so I tried a T15. The T15 catches just enough of the splines that it can be used to unscrew the screw and screw it back in, but it's WAY easier to do with the correct size Torx - which seats itself quite securely in the screw Torx socket, making it much less likely the screw is going missing while working with it. I'm guessing some time long ago in a land far away someone posted it was a T15.. and the mistake was started and just continued.
They must have changed sizes over the years. I just replaced mine and it was definitely a T15 not a T20. I confirmed it when the screw was out.

· Registered
4 Posts
Finally got around to doing this fix. Luckily I have a buddy who is good with a thread and needle.

Got a 1 inch elastic band from Michael's, cut it to 6 inches and made 3 adjustment holes.
One side worked on the 1st hole, the other on the 2nd hole.
Overall took maybe an hour and cost 4 bucks. Looks almost factory.

View attachment 282015

View attachment 282017

View attachment 282016
Finally got around to doing this fix. Luckily I have a buddy who is good with a thread and needle.

Got a 1 inch elastic band from Michael's, cut it to 6 inches and made 3 adjustment holes.
One side worked on the 1st hole, the other on the 2nd hole.
Overall took maybe an hour and cost 4 bucks. Looks almost factory.
I just did your version of the repair and it worked perfectly and seems really strong. Thanks.

· Administrator
2,222 Posts
They must have changed sizes over the years. I just replaced mine and it was definitely a T15 not a T20. I confirmed it when the screw was out.
What year is your Boxster?

· Administrator
2,222 Posts
2005 Base
Thanks. I spent about an hour with the factory parts listing (free download from Porsche BTW..) trying to see if it listed a screw size for that spot. No dice, and no screw. Usually, there will be a listing for even tiny parts like that, but if there is I wasn't able to find it.

I assume yours is a 987 and not a 986 (there were apparently some 986's sold as 2005 models..) There were some design changes in the top mechanism with the 987.2 - so it's possible this was changed at that time. The 986 didn't use the triangular piece that attached the elastic to the roof cord - the elastic attached directly. I could imagine a different sized screw also being used. Dunno if the triangular piece was a model change revision, or a running-change revision (changed while the model was in production..)

As I mentioned - the T15 will fit in, and is close enough to unscrew and screw that fitting, but in my case - the T20 fits snuggly - making it much easier to get the screw back into the threaded hole on the arm.

· Registered
4 Posts
Thanks. I spent about an hour with the factory parts listing (free download from Porsche BTW..) trying to see if it listed a screw size for that spot. No dice, and no screw. Usually, there will be a listing for even tiny parts like that, but if there is I wasn't able to find it.

I assume yours is a 987 and not a 986 (there were apparently some 986's sold as 2005 models..) There were some design changes in the top mechanism with the 987.2 - so it's possible this was changed at that time. The 986 didn't use the triangular piece that attached the elastic to the roof cord - the elastic attached directly. I could imagine a different sized screw also being used. Dunno if the triangular piece was a model change revision, or a running-change revision (changed while the model was in production..)

As I mentioned - the T15 will fit in, and is close enough to unscrew and screw that fitting, but in my case - the T20 fits snuggly - making it much easier to get the screw back into the threaded hole on the arm.
Correct 2005 987 Base. Late 2005 model with the "fixed" IMS if that might make a difference and I do have the triangular piece.

· Registered
1 Posts
Great idea and good to see it works. My solution was just to train the significant other to tuck in the passenger side while i did the drivers side haha.
That is my cure, at present. Also, I find that if I stop the closing in the service position, the elastic has time to regroup and it seals into the slot on the frame. Maybe just dumb luck.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts