Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I don't know how many people are of my size - but there is a problem with where the shoulder fitting on the roll-bar for the upper seat-belt mount is.

I'm 5'7" (on a tall day..) 29" inseam (torso and leg length pretty much proportional..) With the seat adjusted so my legs are comfortable with the pedals and my arms with the steering wheel - the seatbelt strap going from the upper mounting point to the center-cockpit buckle - rubs against my neck. It's REALLY annoying.

My attempts to fix this have been:

1. seatbelt pad (goes around the seatbelt) which makes for a softer edge on my neck but doesn't eliminate the annoyance.

2. buckle strap thingie - a 2" wide x 2" wide thing that snaps around the two sections of belt near the buckle - the chest section and the gut section. You move it along pulling those two parts together to move the position of the upper belt vs neck. Downside - the belt is distorted by this device, plus safety is compromised since in a crash the part where the two belt sections are pulled together will have to pull apart for the belt to become effective.

3. belt restrictor. Porsche actually sells something like this - a little clip that snaps over the belt and then can be adjusted to it stops the retraction of the belt. It goes on the chest part of the belt. There are aftermarket ones also available.

#3 comes the closest to working. It's still a PITA since it has to be adjusted every time I buckle up, and then it has to be moved so the belt CAN retract when I'm getting out of the Boxster. Same thing really on ALL of these solutions - they all tend to block retraction of the belt when it's taken off.

Has anyone come up with a fix for this? If so - tell all. I've searched quite a few boxster forums and haven't been able to find a thread on this topic.

Thanks!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the height of the seat? Perhaps if it was a bit higher or lower the belt would move off your neck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have. My seat is all the way up.. if I go lower it's even worse. Take a look at where the fastening on the roll-bar is.

I've given thought of adding spacers under the seat rails to raise the seat perhaps another inch. Curious if anyone has done this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried raising the back of the seat about 3/4" with some wood blocks. It might be marginally better and the seat base still sloped back (important so one doesn't submarine under the lap belt in a front ender..) Thing is - it looks like a simple mounting, but of course it's not. It uses a bolt and a stud to distribute force over a larger area. To make a permanent block to raise it up will actually require some fairly skilled machining. If I do this I'll post a few photos of what I make.

The other option is to lower the upper turning point for the belt. Right now it's about 1" from the pivot bolt for the upper mounting. I found in a catalog some "ham-bone" mounts used on early Corvettes for some reason. I've asked for the dimensions - and I think that will be critical since the pivot point on the roll-bar is actually quite close to the interior of the top when the tops up. Top-down we have all the room in the world. Not so much with the top-up.

What I've done in the meantime is I added a stop to the seatbelt - a clamp-on sort of plastic thing that can be adjusted and locked to any spot on the seat belt. I put it so it stops the retraction of the upper belt just before it would touch my neck. This also means the belt doesn't retract when I get out of the car. Not as big a problem as you might think, the belt seems to be quite happy to lay alongside the seat between the seat and the door.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts