Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After stupidly putting a few 12 packs of coke in the trunk of my 06 Boxster, I closed it, and now it will not open using the key or the manual release next to the drivers seat - any suggestions much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
A few more details might help. I'm guessing that you're saying that you had to push the trunk closed against the 12 packs and it jammed. If so push down on the lid a little while you turn the key to take the load off the latch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you - when you say turn the key, unfortunately there is no keyway for the trunk. How should I take load off the latch ?

I indeed closed the trunk lid against a couple of 12 packs - very dumb of me.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Sorry, when you said key I thought you meant key in a lock as opposed to the key remote.

Just push down on the trunk lid like you're trying to close it and push the key remote. Hopefully it will click and release. Just don't push so hard as to dent it. :)

I don't have any other ideas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, just tried it per your instructions; I can hear the latch operating but the lid won't open and I pushed down with as much force as seems safe. I'm out of ideas too. Thanks for trying to help me!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just tried that - no joy, sadly. In looking at other articles there might be a release wire under the left rear bumperette.....or not. :(

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Take the car for a drive with lots of hair-pin turns. Or a parking lot and do donuts in alternate directions. That should move the 12-packs around and maybe take the pressure off. If it works, don't celebrate by popping open a Coke just yet.

BTW, are you talking about the front trunk (frunk) or rear?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take the car for a drive with lots of hair-pin turns. Or a parking lot and do donuts in alternate directions. That should move the 12-packs around and maybe take the pressure off. If it works, don't celebrate by popping open a Coke just yet.

BTW, are you talking about the front trunk (frunk) or rear?
Rear. Not the frunk. That is a very creative idea you are suggesting - I will try it.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Rear. Not the frunk. That is a very creative idea you are suggesting - I will try it.
OK, then maybe some panic stops would move the top 12-pack away from the latch. I'm not very familiar with a Boxster, is there a way to reach in when the top is partially retracted? Probably not. Just a thought.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Braking, ok, will try that, not sure why it might work but anything at this point. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
OK not my first choice here but... Maybe a plastic dollar store putty knife between the lid and body. Some gentle "up" pressure, maybe try the gentle press down and then repeat the up pressure. If the clasp is cycling maybe just a little help will do it. If you're careful and mindful, trying it won't damage anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks I will try this. If it doesn't work, I guess I will take it to my favorite Indy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, finally solved the problem. Opened trunk using wire that was underneath driver's side rear fender cover. The trunk actuator was bad - replaced it. None of this related to my dumb stunt of stacking coke cartons in the trunk. Replaced actuator, all is well. Cokes in refrigerator at home, cold. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
The actuator at the drivers side sill or at the actual trunk latch mechanism? I had the interior switch go bad but I think I could still use the key to open the trunk. Getting old sucks...I can't remember exactly. For future reference, do you have a picture or can you describe the location of the wire in a little more detail?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts