Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a 06 Cayman S, and after having it inspected, the dealer here locally told me that it has different brakes on it than a regular Cayman S. The technician told me that he THINKS they are from a 911, due to the fact that they are way bigger. How can I be sure? I want to replace the rotors and brake pads, but now I don't know what size to buy. Is there a serial number on it that I can check out, or can I just measure the rotor and judge accurately from that?

He also sad that there are spacers, so can I remove those or should I buy new ones?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Was this a Porsche dealer? If so why didn't the mechanics point you in the right direction? Seems odd they "think they are from a 911" which basically means they have no idea. If this is not a Porsche mechanic I'd take the car to one before you drop money on brakes and pads. Which can be very expensive.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
There's a company named Girodisc that makes aftermkt brakes for Porsches, including bigger rotors, etc. Maybe the prev owner put a set of them on. How about a pic so we can see what they look like. We might be able to give you better info.

Reactions: Boiler Inspector

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,852 Posts
The spacers the OP is referring to may not be wheel spacers. Girodisk (or other aftermarket big brake kit) installation may require spacers to be installed between the stock brake calipers and the wheel carriers, in order to fit larger diameter brake rotors. If this is the case, standard size brake pads will work, but the rotors will need to be sourced carefully. A competent Porsche dealership or independent local Porsche race shop should be able to sort this out quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late response, but to answer the questions, Yes it was a Porsche dealership, and i don't know why they couldn't give me more info. I will take a picture tomorrow morning and post it. they have wheel spacers and spacers to move the caliper to fit the bigger rotors.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,852 Posts
...and the Porsche service technician couldn't decipher this because???

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
beats me lol. Update: I ordered 997 Carrera S brake pads, retainers, and two rotors for the front, and everything fit EXCEPT for the rotors. they are slightly smaller than what is on there currently. That would be fine if I had the right spacers for the caliper to sit on, but I don't so I had to leave the old rotors on. next time I have to replace the pads, I'm considering doing a full overhaul and getting new rotors/calipers/spacers/etc just to have peace of mind of knowing what's on there.

But currently, I have no brake issues/noise, so that's good.

Thank you everyone for the input!

·
Registered
666 Posts
beats me lol. Update: I ordered 997 Carrera S brake pads, retainers, and two rotors for the front, and everything fit EXCEPT for the rotors. they are slightly smaller than what is on there currently. That would be fine if I had the right spacers for the caliper to sit on, but I don't so I had to leave the old rotors on. next time I have to replace the pads, I'm considering doing a full overhaul and getting new rotors/calipers/spacers/etc just to have peace of mind of knowing what's on there.

But currently, I have no brake issues/noise, so that's good.

Thank you everyone for the input!
It appears that your car may have came equipped with upgraded larger calipers. This is a very good upgrade and not an inexpensive one. Best to take it to a reputable shop to see exactly what you have and order the proper pads to fit the larger discs, rather than spend more money to downgrade your brakes. A shop that specializes in track upgrades should get you on course.
I also can not see any cracks in the rotors, so they look fine for now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a good idea. I'm moving to Ohio this winter, from Alabama, so once I get it up there and the winter ends, I was planning on having it painted and tuned. it has an aftermarket tune on it currently, but I have no idea who did it and if they were good. It feels smooth/fine and super quick so I'm not worried. I'll get the brakes looked at as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts