Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Great post. I am looking for an 2009+ Boxster S, so thanks much for putting together :)
Best of luck! 987.2 'S's are somewhat uncommon...when you find the right one, go for it!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Best of luck! 987.2 'S's are somewhat uncommon...when you find the right one, go for it!
Yes, I am finding fewer 987.2's being offered for sale. I found one today in fact, that looks really nice (2010 Boxster S with 22K miles), but the owner is asking $38.9K for it, which based on my search so far is WAY above market. In fact, not even dealers are selling similar cars for that much - they are closer to $35-36K:
Cars for Sale: Used 2010 Porsche Boxster in S, Carson City NV: 89703 Details - Convertible - Autotrader

If I keep finding 987.2's priced this high, I might as well save a little more and go for a 981 instead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very informative and helpful thread. I recently sold my Ferrari 328GTS, after five years of ownership, and appreciated its simplicity, particularly compared to my earlier owned '04 Maserati Spyder. I am considering a Cayman, preferably an 2009 or 2010. The ones for sale locally have PDK. I think I would prefer a stick shift 6 speed, assuming that it would be much more simple, reliable and less costly to maintain / repair (albeit shift cable issues for 987's is noted in this thread). My reluctance / concern about a PDK-type transmission comes from the Ferrari / Maserati community experience with early F-1 and "cambio corsa" transmissions. Any comments or advice? Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you have a 987.2S I would hold on to it for as long as possible, they are definitely trending upwards in value. Yesterday a 2010 CS with 42k sold for as much as my 11 CS did, mine had slightly less miles. However they are selling on a wholesale market for the same prices as they did a year ago. It's quite remarkable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very informative and helpful thread. I recently sold my Ferrari 328GTS, after five years of ownership, and appreciated its simplicity, particularly compared to my earlier owned '04 Maserati Spyder. I am considering a Cayman, preferably an 2009 or 2010. The ones for sale locally have PDK. I think I would prefer a stick shift 6 speed, assuming that it would be much more simple, reliable and less costly to maintain / repair (albeit shift cable issues for 987's is noted in this thread). My reluctance / concern about a PDK-type transmission comes from the Ferrari / Maserati community experience with early F-1 and "cambio corsa" transmissions. Any comments or advice? Thanks, Jon
I’ve driven a few different single clutch cars, and have been amazed how much smoother/better dual clutches are during everyday non-track driving. PDK is said by many to be the best of the bunch!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm looking to sell my adult owned (I'm 60yrs old) 2009 Boxster PDK base White w/ Marina Blue leather interior Vin #WPOCA29809U710679 very clean,well maintained,only driven in nice weather.
It has 52K miles,it will go up as I drive it in nice weather,the only mods I have done is dealer installed Sports Chrono and Fister exhaust and I have an extra stock exhaust as well.
I can assist in PPI of buyer's choice at buyer's expense..I've changed the engine oil every 5K miles,every little maintenance was done w/Porsche OEM parts.
I'm looking to get $22k or BO.I'm located in Northern New Jersey.My contact info is 201-741-7414 or [email protected]

Thank you
Paul

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm looking to sell my adult owned (I'm 60yrs old) 2009 Boxster PDK base White w/ Marina Blue leather interior Vin #WPOCA29809U710679 very clean,well maintained,only driven in nice weather.
It has 52K miles,it will go up as I drive it in nice weather,the only mods I have done is dealer installed Sports Chrono and Fister exhaust and I have an extra stock exhaust as well.
I can assist in PPI of buyer's choice at buyer's expense..I've changed the engine oil every 5K miles,every little maintenance was done w/Porsche OEM parts.
I'm looking to get $22k or BO.I'm located in Northern New Jersey.My contact info is 201-741-7414 or [email protected]

Thank you
Paul
Paul didn't note it - but I bought his car. It's now my car. It was in super condition. He was a pleasure to deal with, went out of his way to make sure I liked the car before we started bargaining (which consisted of 3 emails: an offer, a counter-offer, an acceptance.) Wish all people selling cars were this easy to deal with and helpful.

Wonderful car - great seller - having a ball making it "mine" (as you might notice in the "what did you do.." thread.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Paul didn't note it - but I bought his car. It's now my car. It was in super condition. He was a pleasure to deal with, went out of his way to make sure I liked the car before we started bargaining (which consisted of 3 emails: an offer, a counter-offer, an acceptance.) Wish all people selling cars were this easy to deal with and helpful.

Wonderful car - great seller - having a ball making it "mine" (as you might notice in the "what did you do.." thread.)
Hi! I’m going to be in a similar position as you were: buying a 2009+ Cayman. I’m in no rush to buy. My plan is to buy from a private seller after having the car properly inspected. Firstly, I want to know what these cars are worth. I see some 2009-2010 examples priced around $30K with 30K miles. The 2012 models are priced around $45K with 18K miles. But those numbers don’t mean very much to me until I’m more well-informed

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
46 Posts
Looked everywhere for a 987.2. Found only 1 with pdk / S in white. Was unfortunately not well taken care of. 37k miles and looked like 150k. Didn't trust the maintenance. 987.1 in the garage instead.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Looked everywhere for a 987.2. Found only 1 with pdk / S in white. Was unfortunately not well taken care of. 37k miles and looked like 150k. Didn't trust the maintenance. 987.1 in the garage instead.
Ah.. the trick to finding what you want is not to look for it. I was originally looking for a 987.2 Cayman/PDK - base or S. I found one at a Ford dealership - price was good but car didn't talk to me and say "Bring me home, I'm a good car.." so I kept looking. Found one in Columbus Oh - looked really nice, but it was red (cops and I have an issue with red cars..) and about $4k over budget.

Then I spotted Paul's very brief note here that he might be considering selling his '09 Boxster.. and I figured what do I have to lose - might as well go look at it - it was only about 45 miles away. So I did. I was impressed by Paul, and what he'd done to the car (some very subtle modifications that I really liked.)

Took it for a drive and wasn't impressed - but the drive WAS in Staten Island. Staten Island if you don't know it is where they take baby potholes from NJ and plant them until they mature into potholes big enough to export to NYC. It also has awful traffic and erratic drivers, and what looked like an intersection traffic camera. So - it wasn't a really good test - except for one thing - rattles/squeaks. The reason I hadn't included the Boxster in my quest was that I'd owned several BMW M3 convertibles. And the amount of body noise those cars made even going down glass-smooth roads was astounding. I was afraid the Boxster would be more of the same.

Happily - it wasn't. That came through in the test-drive-from-heck - if the Boxster was nice and quiet over the Staten Island pothole nursery - imagine what it would be like on real pavement.

So - I called Paul up and asked if he'd mind meeting me in Monmouth County NJ at a Parkway rest area, so I could try the Boxster out on some decent and very twisty back roads I know of.

That's how I ended up with the Boxster - and I remain delighted in my decision. The car was in superb condition, not used in snow/rain/etc - the usual stuff. Perfect for what I wanted - a daily driver. That may seem a bit odd - taking a garage queen out of the garage - but (1) I'm old - and I expect the car to outlive me, even being daily driven (2) I can afford it - it's small money - about the price of a used Honda Fit. No matter what I do to it it will never be worth less than $10k (about bottom dollar for any running Boxster) (3) I don't think anyone expects these to start climbing radically in value - although I certainly value it more than I would a 911.. So using it isn't hurting the eventual resale value.

It actually does get washed regularly and garaged (boy is my Cayenne pissed about that - lost the premier spot in my garage..) I'm having a ball driving the thing. Once in awhile I get guilty and spend time cleaning it up, but I'd rather spend that time putting miles on it. I think I'll have a friend do ceramic on it - then I can just hose it off once in a while. Great part about white - doesn't show dirt. Always looks good.

So the trick to finding the car you really want - don't look for it - let it come to you.

Reactions: Proj_356_B

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great post. I am looking this year and not sure if I want a older CS or newer C, but this is nice to read and think about things a bit more.
CS is great for me personally because I've been able to "graduate" to the different power levels in the two years since I purchased. I started out driving exclusively in the base mode. Then started working in Sport mode on longer highway drives with less traffic... Then I started working in Sport Plus mode very recently (mind you almost two years into owning the car). I think it's why I'm so in love with the car to this day...
I'm still learning to stretch it's legs and I don't see myself getting bored with it in the near term. A user on this forum once told me "Buy the car you want, and hold onto it. If you buy every couple of years it is a complete financial drain".

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow, blast from the past!. I posted last in May 2016, and on July 2 2016, I picked up a 2014 Boxster S with 4.8K miles in great shape. I drove it home (West coast to Texas) and it was a wonderful way to "get to know the car" - amazing drive through this beautiful country of ours.

I am about to hit the 4 year mark, with close to 33K miles on the ODO. Quite a remarkable car :)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts