Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
987 Cayman/Boxster Gt3 Style Rear Bumper Group Buy

We are offering our new GT3 Style Rear Bumper with finned diffuser. We want feedback from planet-9 members as to your preference to our standard GT3 bumper or our GT3 bumper with finned diffuser similar to the Porsche Boxster Spyder rear bumper. Our fins well be more aggressive than the factory diffuser bumper.

Group buy price is $1095. Regular price is $1295.

Minimum of 5 rear bumpers.

I've attached 3 pictures to this thread.

One shows the bumper as is, not painted or modified.
The second picture shows what it would look like on the car. It has been edited so that's why it looks fake. The point of the picture is to give an idea of the bumper.
The third picture shows the diffuser on our 997 GT rear bumper. That's the look that we are looking to get on the cayman bumper.

We want feedback as to who might be interested in the more aggressive looking bumper as opposed to the original look.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Salam Nestor, I could be one of the easiest customers on the planet to fall for any commercial. And as I was reading your post my feet already left the ground jumping onboard but... when I saw the pictures (mainly the 2nd) I was turned off.

=> Without proper pictures showing the bumper on a Cayman in different colors my feet will not take off.

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Nestor,
A couple of comments, since I am one of only a couple of owners who already have GT3 style bumpers. First, the pic on the left is very similar to what I have, but I note that the tow hook hole is not positioned correctly on that bumper, it is over to the right where the bumperette would be on a US car and the tow hook is dead center behind the license plate on a US car. My vote would be for a bumper like the one on the left. The middle is a mock up so looking at the one on the right it wouldn't work well on the Cayman at all, the exhaust is in the wrong place and the vent slat openings are all wrong for the Cayman.

So my recommendation would be the one on the left, but with the tow hook hole in the correct spot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nestor,
A couple of comments, since I am one of only a couple of owners who already have GT3 style bumpers. First, the pic on the left is very similar to what I have, but I note that the tow hook hole is not positioned correctly on that bumper, it is over to the right where the bumperette would be on a US car and the tow hook is dead center behind the license plate on a US car. My vote would be for a bumper like the one on the left. The middle is a mock up so looking at the one on the right it wouldn't work well on the Cayman at all, the exhaust is in the wrong place and the vent slat openings are all wrong for the Cayman.

So my recommendation would be the one on the left, but with the tow hook hole in the correct spot.
Thanks for the comments Ken. I will definitely let Neal know about the tow hooks and what not. The picture on the right is just to show the kind of fins we would use on the bumper diffuser. We're customizing the diffuser to work around the exhaust in the middle. The picture I used for the one on the right is a picture of a 997 Gt rear bumper. We want our customers to have the idea that it would be a much more aggressive looking bumper. Any other feedback and comments are much appreciated.

Thanks Ken.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm excited to hear you guys are offering this piece, I am looking for a rear bumper that sits lower to the ground than the stock one does. Which of your offerings does that? For those of us with Techart or GT3 fronts and side skirts, the rear looks a touch high, and I've been looking for something that balances out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm excited to hear you guys are offering this piece, I am looking for a rear bumper that sits lower to the ground than the stock one does. Which of your offerings does that? For those of us with Techart or GT3 fronts and side skirts, the rear looks a touch high, and I've been looking for something that balances out.
That is exactly what we are trying to do. Offering a balance to the Cayman with other mods in the front and side. We are excited about this project and I will keep updating the thread as we get news and other ideas.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
ngmh1213

+100% with what Speed Racer S posted .. THE LOWER the better for me
I also like the cool looking rear diffueser the far left picture shows.If you guys could make a Cayman version of this it would be really great :)
Also can you let Neal Know I am sending the 997 lights out today to him
I swaped him the LED lights for the 997 ones .Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: ngmh1213

+100% with what Speed Racer S posted .. THE LOWER the better for me
I also like the cool looking rear diffueser the far left picture shows.If you guys could make a Cayman version of this it would be really great :)
Also can you let Neal Know I am sending the 997 lights out today to him
I swaped him the LED lights for the 997 ones .Thanks
I think we definitely are on the same page as far as what we want the look to be. :)

I will let Neal know.

·
Registered
198 Posts
All,

This is a great product which will make your cars stand out anywhere you go.
You can expect great fitment but you need to be really carefull if you already have a GT spoiler wing as the added weight can brake the fiberglass bumper if it is not perfectly installed.

You may have an open space between the trunk and the GT3 bumper which may require some addtional investment in creating and extension
to cover for that new open space, It will be as wide as the trunk x 2 1/2 inches in height.

I will try to post some of my pictures for you to see.

Jose

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Jose

Not that is how the Cayman should look !!! your car is DOPE!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you can tell us current NR Rear wing owners what you exactly had to do to prevent the rear bumper from cracking . This is a concern I have ,Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
A good shop will attempt to make a nice "flush look" between rear wing base and bumper but it ends up breaking the bumper. Some clearance is a must combined with awareness everytime you close your trunk. I currently have a 1/8 inch between the 2 and it works fine. I also eliminated the weights from the trunk.

Once the fitment on bumper is done open the trunk and see the new space created. You will be able to see your catback!!! We inserted a fiberglass piece as wide as the trunk with 2 1/2 (aprox) in height to cover this space. You can see it in one of the pictures.
I am sure that there are many ways on which an installer can recomend to deal with this issue...

My car is currently at the shop for some bucket seat install. I will post bigger pics when I get it back.

Jose

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.