Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Recently bought this 987 and have put about 2,000 miles on it since the purchase, currently has 55,000 miles and I was just wondering is this a healthy engine sound? When revving the engine sounds healthy as a horse I just get paranoid! Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Yep, sounds like a Porsche is supposed to and every one I have owned in the past 20 years. Lots of clackety drivetrain noises due to the engine design and position of the cylinders on the ground amplifying the sounds. A lot of what we hear on these current engines are the injectors which operate at high voltage and very high pressures when they clack open/close.

The air cooled models from years ago were a symphony of drivetrain sounds far more than the current engines. Anyone who has driven a classic VW Beetle will understand. I wish I had a Dollar for every one of these "does this sound normal" post that are constantly made in the forums:p

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
73 Posts
I hear a little 'clacking' on cold start-ups with my 987.1. The clacking goes away quickly after start-up and I don't hear it at all on warm start-ups. I'm confident that it's not a serious problem that I need to dwell on.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I hear a little 'clacking' on cold start-ups with my 987.1. The clacking goes away quickly after start-up and I don't hear it at all on warm start-ups. I'm confident that it's not a serious problem that I need to dwell on.
Same here, did it since new. No worries here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts