Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 987 Boxster PDK
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 2011 987 Boxster a little over a month ago. One thing I've noticed is that my fuel gauge drops from full to 3/4 of a tank rather quickly, slows a bit from 3/4 to half, then moves really slowly from half to 1/4 when I normally gas back up. Haven't taken it below 1/4 of a tank so can't say how fast it drops between there and running out. Before the "heavy foot" comments come I generally drive similarly at a full tank as I do at a half tank so this isn't a case of driving aggressively when full then trying to stretch the miles when it gets a bit lower. The MPG reading stays pretty constant and the distance to empty range calculation seems to drop at a constant rate in line with miles driven and the average MPG reading. I swear I can literally watch the gas gauge drop when I fill up until it gets down to around 3/4 of a tank. Is this normal for 987s or is it something that I need to get the shop to take a look at? No sign of fuel leak and I don't smell gas after topping off and driving a short distance so don't think I'm physically losing fuel anywhere.

I'm not worried about gas mileage - I'm more concerned with smiles per mile than miles per gallon. I just want to query the group on if this is normal or not. If this is just what Boxsters do then no worries, but if this isn't normal I'm going to get it looked at since I have a limited 100 day warranty from the purchase date and can look into whether this is covered or not.

Thanks in advance for your input.

BTW - I had also noticed that my speedo was a few MPH off and was going to ask that question, but found some posts on here that said that was normal so not worried about that anymore so thanks for those that post answers to these questions.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,728 Posts
It’s hard to say how inaccurate the gauge is. You could reset the odo after gassing up and monitor it for some accuracy.. these gas suck gas tho

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The gas tank sender is not very linear, so if you're getting the expected mileage, and the gauge behaves the same way every time, I'd say just chalk it up to an idiosyncrasy. Yes, you could replace the sender if it really bugs you, but the new one won't be linear either!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts