Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been some time since I've posted to the forum. My 07 Cayman S has done nothing but carve corners and strafe apexes for the past couple of years. Following an initial spate of upgrades (Softronic, PSS9 kit, anti-sway bars, B&M Short Shift Kit, Alpine Head unit) I've done little more than driver her. She did get a new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports and front rotors and pads at about 40,000 miles, but past me considering tinting the windows, I've just enjoyed driving her.

Last week I shifted from 1st to 2nd and felt the gearshift knob go slack in my hand, like a big spoon in a bowl of schnitzel. I could tell immediately that the shift linkage had come loose, but I didn't know exactly why. My best guess was that I had not installed or tightened some component of the short shift kit properly, when I installed it almost 2 years ago. After all, if you want to look for the cause of a failure, look to the area you last touched.

After the torrential rains we got here in the Bay Area last week I finally put her in the shop and removed the center console. Lo and behold, everything was in order. Nothing is loose, broken, or improperly installed. I then took to the net and searched for "Porsche Cayman gearshift linkage failure" and learned that apparently this has been a problem, not only for Caymans, but several models of 911s as well. It appears to have been going on for some time as well.

I don't have the space or resources to investigate this any further myself, so I'll be needing to enlist the help of a professional shop. I'm assuming the failure is near the gearbox itself, but I have no idea what the connection or linkage looks like in that area.

I'm curious if anyone has had experience with Porsche NA and this problem. It sounds like a fairly spendy fix (~$1,000?).

-tj in los gatos

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Fairly well documented here that the ball connector pops off the shift lever on the transmission. People have snapped it back on and used a zip tie as a temporary fix. Or, sometimes the cable itself breaks, also at the transmission end of the cable. If this is the case you are pretty much SOL and need a new cable.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you are replacing the cables, Numeric Cup style cables are highly recommended.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll do some research and see what the best plan of action is. The Numeric Racing part sounds like the best option, but I just don't have room/time in my garage to dig in to the Cayman to do it myself. Hate to spend stealership money on a part they won't warranty (or even likely install).

-tj in los gatos

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Eric,

Great to hear from you. The CS is gone, the CSL is gone, and I'm hoping the M635CSI will be soon gone too. I now have two Giulias, a Giulietta and a 1900C SS.

Thanks for the tip on RMG, I'll check them out.

-tj in los gatos

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll do some research and see what the best plan of action is. The Numeric Racing part sounds like the best option, but I just don't have room/time in my garage to dig in to the Cayman to do it myself. Hate to spend stealership money on a part they won't warranty (or even likely install).

-tj in los gatos

Just be careful and make sure you get the updated ssk and cables from Numeric. The brass pin and cam on my ssk started to wear down causing extra play in the shifter. It's getting worse. They shipped me a new pin but I've been waiting many days that have turned into weeks to get the cam sent. I've emailed them but they have not been responding. I have certainly not been impressed with their customer service.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just be careful and make sure you get the updated ssk and cables from Numeric. The brass pin and cam on my ssk started to wear down causing extra play in the shifter. It's getting worse. They shipped me a new pin but I've been waiting many days that have turned into weeks to get the cam sent. I've emailed them but they have not been responding. I have certainly not been impressed with their customer service.
Thats what I have been worried about all along with that shifter design. Its a great shifter but that needs to have some type of bearing.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
OP has a B&M SSK. So not sure your information applies, Is your failure related to the cables? Is there a newer Cup cable design? Just wondering, I've got the OEM GT3 shifter with Numeric cables, Cables purchased installed this spring.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the follow up guys. RSchwerer is correct, I have a B&M SSK.

It was a frustrating day....I have called Numeric 3 times and they've yet to return my call, so I don't even know if I can count on them for parts.

My obligatory call to the stealership confirmed the accuracy of the name. They quoted me close to $1500 to replace the cables, including $600 for the cables, which is almost twice what I could order the OE part for from Suncoast.

An independent shop quoted me just short of 3 hours @$150 per to do the job, so I don't know why the stealership costs so much more.

I'm considering buying the OE part for $375 and installing it myself. I just don't have a lot of room to work in my garage these days and the weather prevents me from putting whats in the garage (a rather rare and valuable aluminum bodied Alfa Romeo and 4 very special Ducatis) outside when it's wet.

I'm also not sure if I can even get to the transmission with the car on jackstands. It really feels like a job which requires a lift.

When I installed my PSS9 kit (one of the least fun jobs I've ever done on a car) I had a bear of a time getting the car on jack stands as there's no easy way to lift the car in the center at the rear. You really need two floor jacks. I haven't seen any photos or detailed accounts of where exactly the cables attach to the gearbox and how easy access is to them.

-tj in los gatos

·
Registered
292 Posts
I replaced my cables with only lifting the left rear corner to get to the lock nut. I got better access via the top of the motor by removing the intake. I also had a crappy time reaching numeric and instead ordered them through a local race shop.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I did the swap (OEM to Numeric) by myself using jack-stands. The cable attachment points are easily reachable from below, but as bofus mentioned, the left one is kind of hard to get to from the bottom alone. I removed the flexible air intake hose and was better able to reach the mounting bracket from above.

A lot of disassembly is required to replace the cables - but it is more time consuming than difficult:
  • removal of console
  • removal of engine cover
  • removal of front engine access cover
  • disconnection/removal of old cables
Then the reverse of above plus re-alignment of the shifter. There are several instruction articles and threads that would apply to either OEM or Numeric.

Numeric's facility was only about 10 miles from where I worked ATT. So I just drove over and picked-up a set. It's a pretty small operation. I hope they are still in business ( otherwise the lifetime warrant will be worthless).

BTW, after getting stranded once by a broken cable (replaced under warranty) I decided to preemptively replace mine. So my OEM cables weren't broken. I'd sell them except that I broke the mounting clips (holds the cable housing to the rear brackets) trying to remove them. Otherwise they are in great shape - only one year old. There may be some way to hold the cables in place using cable ties.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the continued support. I just reached out to SharkWerks hoping that they might have a set of the Numeric cables, but the guy I talked with said he had to give up on them because he could never get a commitment on when they'd be able to ship him product (months and months delayed apparently).

At this point it looks like my best bet is to order an OE set from Suncoast and install them myself.

I appreciate the pointers on installation, another owner posted a rather involved procedure elsewhere in the forum, which involved lowering the engine, removing the airbox, and several other items. Normally none of these things would be an issue, but right now, they are.

At this point I've not even been able to see where the cable failed, so I'm flying in the dark until I can do some sort of recon.

-tj in los gatos

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you can get a set of Numeric cables...It's not terrible to install(just make sure you take your time), but make sure you order the wrench. For the left side transmission you might have to go through the top as Bofus and RSchwerer and I did. Also, if Flintworks is near you, they could probably install them for you at a reasonable rate.

Thanks for the continued support. I just reached out to SharkWerks hoping that they might have a set of the Numeric cables, but the guy I talked with said he had to give up on them because he could never get a commitment on when they'd be able to ship him product (months and months delayed apparently).

At this point it looks like my best bet is to order an OE set from Suncoast and install them myself.

I appreciate the pointers on installation, another owner posted a rather involved procedure elsewhere in the forum, which involved lowering the engine, removing the airbox, and several other items. Normally none of these things would be an issue, but right now, they are.

At this point I've not even been able to see where the cable failed, so I'm flying in the dark until I can do some sort of recon.

-tj in los gatos

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd buy the Numeric cables if I could....but I'm not sure how long I'm willing to wait around for them to return my call.

-tj in los gatos

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I spoke with them yesterday I ordered a wrench as I already have their cables from a group buy back in May of this year and haven't installed them yet. Have you tried emailing them with your contact information?

Cman21

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
If there is pent up demand for the Numeric cables, maybe its time for another group buy? Just an idea.

I've put about 4000 miles on them and am happy so far. Really like the feel. Also, another vote here for getting at the left side gear box connection from the engine compartment. Makes life easier.

Cheers,

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am sure that they make a fine product but I have left them three voicemails and if they are unable and/or unwilling to return my calls they do not deserve my business. I cannot let my car sit waiting for a vendor to return my calls, hoping that my money is green enough for them. If this is how they treat people before they're even customers, what happens when I need them?

-tj in los gatos

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I've given up on Numeric. I've been waiting a long time for my replacement parts to arrive and no reply. I installed the ssk last year but had my local indy shop install the cables quite a few weeks ago. Apparently, the earlier ssk's had wearing issues with the pin and cam. I uploaded a video to Youtube and showed it to Dan. He confirmed the extra play in my shifter was from the brass pin and cam wearing down. I've been driving around since then without my centre console, waiting for the cam to arrive. I've emailed both Dan and Charles but no reply.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Hi Eric,

Great to hear from you. The CS is gone, the CSL is gone, and I'm hoping the M635CSI will be soon gone too. I now have two Giulias, a Giulietta and a 1900C SS.

Thanks for the tip on RMG, I'll check them out.

-tj in los gatos
I'm having major Alfa envy!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts