Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Zone 1 Member
81 Posts
The primary indication was that I was using more than a quart of oil in 350 miles. I had changed the AOS in the hope that it was the issue but my worst fears turned out to be true. No track use.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had my car out with the top down two days ago when it was 15C now it's -1 and we have 6 inches of snow on the ground. Won't be racking up any kilometres today.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I love seeing these high mileage examples in such frequency. I went a little wild and traded in a perfectly reliable and recent Honda Accord in on a 2008 Cayman - risky move but it seems like I'll be able to drive it for a lot of miles (it's my daily now). Definitely more exciting miles than the Accord gave me. Thanks to everyone for sharing

·
Registered
381 Posts
I love seeing these high mileage examples in such frequency. I went a little wild and traded in a perfectly reliable and recent Honda Accord in on a 2008 Cayman - risky move but it seems like I'll be able to drive it for a lot of miles (it's my daily now). Definitely more exciting miles than the Accord gave me. Thanks to everyone for sharing
I would drive a Cayman as a daily however summer tires wouldn't cut it here in the Great White North. My previous TT was great with 4 winter tires as it was AWD. I received a lot of stares when I drove that car in the white stuff. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would drive a Cayman as a daily however summer tires wouldn't cut it here in the Great White North. My previous TT was great with 4 winter tires as it was AWD. I received a lot of stares when I drove that car in the white stuff. Enjoy your ride.
Thanks! I'm in Florida so the worst I have to deal with is the thunderstorm every afternoon at 4:00pm any day it gets warmer than 80°F. Never snow.

Surprisingly practical for a daily too, lots of space. I play ice hockey twice per week and my sticks and gear bag fit without issues, other than my passenger having to share the footwell with the blades of my sticks (now in a stick bag.. haha).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks! I'm in Florida so the worst I have to deal with is the thunderstorm every afternoon at 4:00pm any day it gets warmer than 80°F. Never snow.

Surprisingly practical for a daily too, lots of space. I play ice hockey twice per week and my sticks and gear bag fit without issues, other than my passenger having to share the footwell with the blades of my sticks (now in a stick bag.. haha).
Why do some people/countries refer to hockey as ice hockey rather than just hockey. Field hockey is rarely discussed where I live. Nice to hear your playing hockey. I used to play summer hockey but gave that up years ago. I can't wait for the warmer weather as we have a light dusting of snow today.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Why do some people/countries refer to hockey as ice hockey rather than just hockey. Field hockey is rarely discussed where I live. Nice to hear your playing hockey. I used to play summer hockey but gave that up years ago. I can't wait for the warmer weather as we have a light dusting of snow today.
Of course, you're in Ontario! It's a bit different the further south you go. At a club/hobby level, field hockey and street hockey both seem to be more popular than ice hockey in many areas. Where I grew up (central PA), all we had was a girl's field hockey team. There weren't even any ice rinks within an hour's drive; the closest was where the Hershey Bears played.

I played quite a bit of street hockey in college, though: pick-up games on roller blades on the campus tennis courts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry for derailing the thread. I have to specify ice hockey here in Florida otherwise people think field, street, or roller hockey. When I lived in New Jersey, I just said "hockey." Roller hockey is pretty popular down here, but I'm not a fan because you can't stop as quickly and my muscle memory is all ice now.

As for fitting the sticks in the back, they definitely only fit with the blades down in the passenger foot well. I also have a 3" extension in one of my sticks which I tried back when I played defense and liked. Even if I removed the little divider between the rear trunk and the top-of-engine area, they would rub against the roof at least and more likely wouldn't fit at all. Since I only have a passenger maybe once every 4-5 games, it works fine like it is.

I'm only just getting to 49k miles, bought it with around 47k so very new to me. Judging by the results in this thread, I hope to get at least 100k more out of her. I can't see a reason why I'd sell, the next long term plan is to move into a home with a two car garage so I'd just be adding a second car, still keeping this one. Great car so far, the only thing I really anticipate is the water pump failing sometime between next week and next year. Hopefully not this summer, but from what I've gathered it's impossible to know because by the time it starts leaking it'll fail almost immediately without much warning. I had it inspected and it wasn't leaking but the mechanic did tell me that I should budget for replacing it anyway - seems like good advice.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Lonewolfsx, my son played on our area travel roller hockey team. I preferred watching that over ice hockey which was full contact. The problem I have when roller blading is coming to a quick stop which is easy on ice skates. My golf clubs are hard to fit into my Boxster however I get them to fit by removing the longer clubs out then storing in the area of the front seat. Anyway.....

·
Registered
310 Posts
2007 2.7 5-speed with 173,000 miles. 3 sets of pads and 1 set of rotors up front and 1 set of pads and original rotors in the rear. Original clutch. 2 sets of lower control arms after original. 1 set of tie rod ends and presently have some play. Water temp sender, water pump, coil packs and lots of tires. Castrol Syntec 5w/40 every 9,000 miles. Replacing my air/oil separator today.
This has been a GREAT car and very reliable. This was my 8th winter in the NorthEast (60 lb. sand snake secured in the back). So fun to drive this car in marginal winter conditions as a daily commuter on mountain twisties, back roads and highway. C.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Subbed. Great thread idea.

I dont qualify as my 07 CS only has ...well it ticked past 45678ks the other day (which I got my son to photograph lol).

But I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

My car is a weekender and I'm only the second owner. Good service history. No issues and car is like new. I check oil level before each startup. None lost so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just turned 104,000 miles on my 2008 Boxster S this morning... bought it at 85,000 miles love it. No issues other than trying to diagnose a power steering concern right now... although I will admit to being very proactive on maintenance/repairs and as such have replaced in advance many items people do when they fail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just picked up a 2011 Boxster Base last month with the PDK, it had 98000 on it and now has just over 100k, with what I know now, the dealer left between 5-6 grand on the table.

·
Registered
324 Posts
recently turned 40k miles in my eleven-years-old cayman. no problems whatsoever until recently. this car, located in san diego, is kept in the garage whenever it is not being driven and except for the guys who perform service maintenance, i am the only driver. my hands are clean when i operate it and yet, the round buttons at either end of the standard factory-installed audio system are turning very soft and spongy, kinda gummy-like. only these two buttons, no others. i use the one on my left regularly, to turn the radio on and off. and i rarely use the button on my right, which activates the cd player. but both these buttons are by now beyond repair and are even beginning to leave a little black residue on my fingers whenever i touch them. small potatoes in the overall scheme of things - yet annoying just the same.

anybody got a good lead on suitable replacements?

·
Registered
16 Posts
170.000 Kilometers or a bit over 100k miles.
Was a dealership car most of its life (about 90k miles) so one of the door handles is crapping out as it sometimes thinks the handle is pulled so messes up the window retraction thing.

Some tappet knocking at idle when cold, probably binding tappet as it frees up and quiets down in a minute or so of warming up.
Some intermitent smoke issue, probably the AOS is on its last legs.
Porsche service found two ignition coils half dead so I replaced them, feels and sounds smoother and pulls a tiny bit harder.

Other than that...feels and drives like a new car.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
VW forums reported a big problem with washer sensor issues related to using the RainEx orange fluid. It leaves a coating on the sensor making it appear to be a low fluid condition. Pull sensor clean and back to normal. Not sure if this is your issue.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts