Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
07 Boxster S with Tiptronic: Bought with 125k miles. In great shape, so far. I did have to replace the front brakes. I was able to do those on my own with no issue. I bought it to replace my motorcycles, as my wife and kids asked me to. Never really thought of buying a Porsche as we have owned 4 BMWs, but this car is amazing. My wife has 'stolen' it from me on more than one occasion. I think she likes it more than I do. I plan on completing more preventive maintenance such as the transmission fluid change and brake bleeding. Other than that, I'm counting on this engine not detonating like the previous iterations. I wish I could've afforded a 2010+ when I was looking (it's our 4th vehicle), but I'm pretty happy with the car.

·
Registered
310 Posts
‘07 2.7 5 spd with 207k and 10 Northern NY winters. Just replaced original front struts with a pair of ‘08’s from eBay. Each one had 1/2 a broken coil lying in the perch (riding a little low). Also did my 4th set of ball joints and tie rod ends. No work in the rear yet. Original clutch.
Edit: Thought you all might be interested to know I did front wheel bearings too. With the knuckles in my hands, one felt OK but the other was noticeably different. Did them both and the silky feel of the new ones made me glad about that decision. Now I’m starting to hear a drum from the rear… At 207k, the rear doesn’t owe me much. So much more trouble-free than the front. C.

·
Registered
66 Posts
‘07 2.7 5 spd with 207k and 10 Northern NY winters. Just replaced original front struts with a pair of ‘08’s from eBay. Each one had 1/2 a broken coil lying in the perch (riding a little low). Also did my 4th set of ball joints and tie rod ends. No work in the rear yet. Original clutch.
Wow, 207K miles on the original clutch? That's gotta be some kind of record!

I've driven 3 cars to over 100K miles on the original clutch myself. All 3 were still running strong when I traded/sold the cars.

·
Registered
2010 2.9 6spd
46 Posts
.....just about to hit 149000 miles on my 2010 6spd 2.9............just replaced the ORIGINAL clutch and oem flywheel ( ouch.. £1000 ) cleaned maf sensor and had gearbox and diff oils changed........... reckon she'll do another 149000 miles too :)

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S
2 Posts
Our 2008 Cayman S Sport Chrono 6spd is about to turn over 187k miles this week. The car spent its life down south as a well cared for daily driver before, and now lives the high life as a fair weather and road trip car for us. My wife and I absolutely adore it as our first Porsche, coming from sporty VW's.

From the records, it has had a clutch, oil seals, AOS replacement, A/C condenser repairs, headliner, tires, brakes, and fluid/filter changes. Not bad for an old German car.

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
137 Posts
Just cracked 100,000. I replaced my interior hood release, my starter, the AOS and a windshild washer fluid motor. It's running perfectly and drives like a dream.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Our 2008 Cayman S Sport Chrono 6spd is about to turn over 187k miles this week. The car spent its life down south as a well cared for daily driver before, and now lives the high life as a fair weather and road trip car for us. My wife and I absolutely adore it as our first Porsche, coming from sporty VW's.

From the records, it has had a clutch, oil seals, AOS replacement, A/C condenser repairs, headliner, tires, brakes, and fluid/filter changes. Not bad for an old German car.
Curious, what mileage was the clutch replaced?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I’m curious what percentage of 100k+ cars are still on the original AOS and water pump. I’m only at 56k, still on originals, wondering if they are just destined to fail or if they might be ok forever?

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 06 Boxster S has just ticked over 129k yesterday. I've only had it 1200 miles so far and for have changed water pump and low temp thermostat (water pump was knackered), oil change (duh!), bank 1 hydraulic chain tensioner (chasing cam deviation between banks 1 and 2), new plugs and coils, cleaned variocam solenoids and installed on opposite banks (also chasing bank 2 random misfires). This weekend will be installing new AOS and cleaning MAF, throttle body etc. Does need new rotors, clutch seems fine and I'm not sure when the last clutch change was. Doesn't smoke, doesn't use oil and has visible no bore scoring, long may that last....Hopefully I can get to the bottom of the cam deviation and misfires so I can start on the cosmetics.

PS, anyone want to swap their std front lights and side markers for these LED ones? I'd like to go back to stock.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So happy to see so many good miles from everyone!

My '10 Boxster Base has about 77k miles on it now, and runs fine. Glad to see it's got many more years left on it! knock on wood!

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
137 Posts
I’m curious what percentage of 100k+ cars are still on the original AOS and water pump. I’m only at 56k, still on originals, wondering if they are just destined to fail or if they might be ok forever?
It's my understanding that the AOS is almost considered a consumable item like an air filter. Not sure about the water pump.

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
137 Posts
My 06 Boxster S has just ticked over 129k yesterday. I've only had it 1200 miles so far and for have changed water pump and low temp thermostat (water pump was knackered), oil change (duh!), bank 1 hydraulic chain tensioner (chasing cam deviation between banks 1 and 2), new plugs and coils, cleaned variocam solenoids and installed on opposite banks (also chasing bank 2 random misfires). This weekend will be installing new AOS and cleaning MAF, throttle body etc. Does need new rotors, clutch seems fine and I'm not sure when the last clutch change was. Doesn't smoke, doesn't use oil and has visible no bore scoring, long may that last....Hopefully I can get to the bottom of the cam deviation and misfires so I can start on the cosmetics.

PS, anyone want to swap their std front lights and side markers for these LED ones? I'd like to go back to stock.
View attachment 275891
What brand of AOS did you get? Please say genuine Porsche.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im pretty sure i have stock aos and same for water pump for 100 000 miles or 165 000 km my garage said i dont need to change them i only need to "wait" for something broke because i will see it or symptoms..

61 - 80 of 86 Posts