Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question I have in regards to the PSE mufflers for the 987's.

If one were to buy a set of the PSE mufflers and install them on their regular 987S without and Sport Chrono or other gadgets can I still harness the throaty sound of the PSE full time valve open?

Reason I ask is because I've seen used/salvaged ones for sale every now and then and was wondering if this is an effective way to gain the 'Porsche' sound.
:confused:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Yes, absolutely. Valves are there to close the pipes and revert to stock mode. So without connecting the valves you will be constantly in sport.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
As Tomasz says it will work without issue, but will stay in the open mode all of the time. If you look in a Tequipment book you'll find the PSE is listed for 2007 models or newer, and this is just because of the speed switching and activation of the valves, and fitting on older models (pre-07) you can install it without issue, as confirmed by Porsche Middle East to me.

If it's cheap enough then it can do no harm and will give a bit more life to the exhaust note, but with so many great tuners on your door step in DE I'd go with one of them for a more in your face sound....but that is just my choice based on the loudness and performance gains, but the other options could bring some conflict with warranty that the PSE won't.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet! Yeah, I would be looking to do this on my '06 987S.

As for tuners in Germany, of course there are many but I'm no longer in Germany instead Oklahoma! :( Also I wouldn't dare to pay the euro prices on this stuff just too much money.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Well living in the US you have a shed load of options as well, and I'd strongly suggest checking out Borla or any of the other aftermarket exhausts in fact.

Independent dyno's showed over 20 hp gains with the Borla on a stock car, where as with PSE you'll get zero power gains and just a slightly sportier note.....however with zero drone.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I did a little write up on retro fitting a PSE system to my 2005 987S. If your car is already equipped with sport chrono then you can utilise the existing control to activate the PSE. All you need to do is add in some additional wiring and do a simple re code on the rear DME and the system works as per 2007 onward factory fit. If you dont have the sport chrono a simple pushbutton can be instaled to activate and deactivate the pse. This is probably the best route as it avoids the 20-40 mph cut out that is coded into the factory supplied cars. If the system is left disconnected it remains in loud mode all the time. I've made up a few custom looms for the retro fit of these systems after modifying my own car.

Here is the write up on the retro fit and switch

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=294&cat=6

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a slightly used PSE I bought from a dealer in Fla. put on my '06 Cayman S today...it's permanently in sport mode and sounds great with no droning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts