Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Sincerely hope this is not a redundant post, but I spent quite some time searching and have found nothing quite like it.

As it has happened to other boxster owners on this forum, my driver's side conertible top linkage broke due to failure of a sensor which is supposed to prevent this. I didn't know it was broken for almost a whole season because the top still opened and closed (most of the time), only difference was that the top fabric would close over the window frames sometimes and it would close faster on one side than the other.

Finally, the dealer replaced the driver's side transmission (since they didn't know what caused it to break in the first place) and all is well on that side now. But on the passenger side the soft top fabric still closes over the windows frame every time. The car is no longer under warranty (except for the warranty I received on the top repair) and the dealer said they could probably fix it under that warranty. Instead, however, they told me the car would have to go to a fabric trim shop and neglected to explain to me why (of course not covered by Porsche).

My question is... has this happened to anybody else? Is there anything I can to to fix it myself? And since Porsche agreed to pay 25% of my top repair to begin with because it's a rare problem (according to them), should they have to pay for this 'fix' by a third party? Thanks so much in advance.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,774 Posts
I Sincerely hope this is not a redundant post, but I spent quite some time searching and have found nothing quite like it.

As it has happened to other boxster owners on this forum, my driver's side conertible top linkage broke due to failure of a sensor which is supposed to prevent this. I didn't know it was broken for almost a whole season because the top still opened and closed (most of the time), only difference was that the top fabric would close over the window frames sometimes and it would close faster on one side than the other.

Finally, the dealer replaced the driver's side transmission (since they didn't know what caused it to break in the first place) and all is well on that side now. But on the passenger side the soft top fabric still closes over the windows frame every time. The car is no longer under warranty (except for the warranty I received on the top repair) and the dealer said they could probably fix it under that warranty. Instead, however, they told me the car would have to go to a fabric trim shop and neglected to explain to me why (of course not covered by Porsche).

My question is... has this happened to anybody else? Is there anything I can to to fix it myself? And since Porsche agreed to pay 25% of my top repair to begin with because it's a rare problem (according to them), should they have to pay for this 'fix' by a third party? Thanks so much in advance.
I had the same thing happen to me with the car in warranty. There are some straps in the top that pull the sides in so it tucks behind the side plastic. Mine was covered under warranty, it just took 5 trips. The best way to test it is by putting it up at about 30 MPH to see if it will close properly.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I'd venture and say this happened because some strap was stretched too far because of the broken joint. As for whether the dealer should cover it, I'm not sure, but since they gave you warranty on the top, I'd say they should!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your quick replies. I will do some road testing today and see if it closes properly while driving.

now, that strap you speak of... if it got stretched out too far due to it "pulling along' the driver's side for while, I'll definately talk to the dealer about that. Where exactly is that strap located? Could I temporarily shorten it a bit to see if that fixes the closing problem problem?

Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent! Thanks! Well, closing at 30mph didn't make a difference, but assuming nothing is visibly wrong (mechanically at least, according to the dealer) there is good chance I'll find a solution in this article.

Hope to get to work on in tomorrow. Going to need the luck!
Will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem Solved!

After spending a good 30 minutes writing this up properly, I accidentally hit the back button on my mouse, and away it all went... So here's a summary:

It was indeed one of the elastic bands which had been stretched out. It took a few tries to find the right one responsible for tugging in the top (and I gave up for a while in between), but I found it nonetheless. The DIY article helped to get me on the right track, although 987 tops apparently are quite a bit different from 986s. So... there is a large (a few inches across) fabric piece attached to the edge of the top and stitched on an elastic band, which is attached via a screw behind the inside liner of the top. After shortening this band with a safety pin to test it, I undid the velcro straps of the liner and shortened the elastic band via said screw. Great Success! :)

Thank you guys for the help. All is well, at least for now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.