Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I stumbled across the smoking tire youtube where Matt Farah drives a modded 987 with some TPC turbo kit. I am no diy guy. Mostly get my bmw maintenance work done via some Indy shop or dealer for warranty stuff.. If I were to buy a 987 with this TPC turbo kit installed (stage 1 or stage 2) do Indy's who work on bmw's/porsche's have the expertise to fix/maintain any issues that may arise with this TPC stuff. Obviously I cannot get an extended warranty on a 987 with this level of mods but I can use that money for maintenance instead..I looked up their website. Looks like TPC is located in Maryland somewhere and I am in Chicago so my only worry is the maintenance on such a car. Is this company still around ? Those long time 987 veterans who have this installed please chime in. Any issues you have had so far since the TPC install ? Since I will be naked with no warranty ideally I dont want to sacrifice a chicken and do a little dance every time before turning the ignition on a car like this.. :)

·
Chesapeake Region Member
220 Posts
I stumbled across the smoking tire youtube where Matt Farah drives a modded 987 with some TPC turbo kit. I am no diy guy. Mostly get my bmw maintenance work done via some Indy shop or dealer for warranty stuff.. If I were to buy a 987 with this TPC turbo kit installed (stage 1 or stage 2) do Indy's who work on bmw's/porsche's have the expertise to fix/maintain any issues that may arise with this TPC stuff. Obviously I cannot get an extended warranty on a 987 with this level of mods but I can use that money for maintenance instead..I looked up their website. Looks like TPC is located in Maryland somewhere and I am in Chicago so my only worry is the maintenance on such a car. Is this company still around ? Those long time 987 veterans who have this installed please chime in. Any issues you have had so far since the TPC install ? Since I will be naked with no warranty ideally I dont want to sacrifice a chicken and do a little dance every time before turning the ignition on a car like this.. :)
I live near TPC , they’re still there. They also still advertise in PCA’s Panorama magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
My understanding...

1. TPC installs need to be done professionally. If not with them, then at a shop they know and trust. I've had a shop near me (in Seattle) specifically recommended by them so they know who to trust.

2. Installing the turbo is not easy. Look at Japanda on YouTube for a DIY Cayman turbo install. It's an amazing video, and convinced me that installing a turbo is way out of my league.

3. Reliability is not that much of a concern, because it's high revs that kill your engine and the turbo gives you power well south of this. But if you stick the turbo in a 100,000 mile engine, you're arguably better off not doing that and sending the car to somewhere like 9XX Motors and getting the engine rebuilt. Then think about the turbo.

4. The stage 1 is simplest, and probably best for the road. For stage 2 you add an intercooler and middle radiator, so the complexity shoots up a lot.

5. Going with Stage 2 probably means you should be thinking about what you need to do to make the car safe. I'm looking at refurbishing my suspension and a big brake kit before I install the TPC.

6. The TPC will be totally redundant for 28 days out of the month, unless you are a total hoon. And... probably will make the car undrivable for anyone else (because they think your cute little 987 drives just so nice when they hit the thro... HOLY CRAP).

FWIW, I'm looking to get a TPC stage 2 installed in time for summer.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The kits have gone through iterations and seems like people enjoy them. I see a TPC turbo Cayman pop up every so often for sale and owners seem happy with the car. I had a kit but couldn't install it when I was in CA since their software at the time kept the SMOG sensors in "not ready" state. Some states don't care but I think others have started to check these sensors, i.e. WA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.