Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Vendor
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a quick look at the upcoming FUNCTION-FIRST performance and reliability upgrade for the 987 shifter cables...

The OEM shifter cables use large rubber ends to isolate the shifter from the transmission. These soak up your effort and numb the feedback and directness required for optimal shifting performance. The resultant sloppy gear engagement leaves the driver questioning if the desired gear is fully engaged, and it leads to over-extension and stressing of the cables as the shift lever is pulled beyond the limit.
And from a safety and reliability standpoint - the plastic snap-on cups wear out over time and split causing the cable to pop off the transmission.

Our solution replaces the rubber and plastic internals of the OEM shifter cable ends with aluminum and Delrin components. A steel snap-ring ensures the cables reliably snap onto the transmission - and stay there! Plus, the included cotter pins provide a safety redundancy to ensure the cables stay securely affixed to the transmission.

Installation is simple and takes less than an hour. Just snip out the OEM shifter cable end internals and bolt in the upgraded units. The existing cables do not have to come out for the install, so the entire process can be done from below the car.

This upgrade will be an excellent accompaniment to our SHIFT-RIGHT Solution ball bearing shifter kit to deliver ultimate shifting performance and reliabilty.

BEFORE...

AFTER...

·
Registered
50 Posts
When are these expected and what would the cost be? Upgrading all the plastic/rubber bushings to metal on my MK6 GTI shifter was one of the best mods I did.

·
Vendor
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Anticipated release date is currently the end of September. This is a great solution for street performance and DE driver that want to tighter shifting precision, enhanced shifter feel and connection, and added reliability.

For a street/DE car, the benefits (or differences) of our Shifter Cable Ends vs an all-out thicker cable upgrade are:
- Lower cost
- Less added NVH (noise, vibration, harshness)
- Easier/cheaper installation (no taking apart the interior, routing cables, adjusting cables, etc.)

Here are some more specifics on the FFP Shifter Cable Ends...

Upgrade Solutions

The main objective of our upgrade is to eliminate the flex and play of the stock cable ends, which is generally the reason drivers are looking for shifter related upgrades.

Precision

The components from our kit are manufactured to exacting tolerances - take a look at the inner diameter of the Delrin cup compared to the outer diameter of the ball-end that it mounts onto at the transmission:

(for comparison, the ID of the Cup cable ends is 10.20mm)

Noise, Vibration, Harshness

Little to no added NVH - the cable ends use Delrin cups, to minimize any chatter on the transmission, and the rest of the stock cable components are retained to preserve stock-like levels of noise and vibration.

Installation

The entire install process can be accomplished from below the car - there's no need to remove any of your interior.
Just jack the car up, pop off the OEM cables, snip them out with wire cutters, and bolt the FFP Shifter Cable Ends in their place.

This kit will also address the additional "connecting rod" that translates lateral shifter action, which is unique to the 987.1 models. On the S models, that wishbone runs above the back of the transmission, and on the base models, its the piece that mounts vertically next to the transmission. That piece, with its thick rubber ends, adds to the ambiguity and mushiness of the side-to-side action of the shifter.

(Please keep in mind that this modification is not reversible, so once you cut your OEM cables ends out to install the FFP Shifter Cable Ends, you can't go back to OEM without swapping the entire cables.)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are there any issues re adjustment / installation? Does it require a certain precision when cutting off the old ends and installing the new ones to ensure the shift remains correctly adjusted? Would one likely need to then adjust via a bit of work at the cabin shifter end of the assembly?

·
Vendor
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there any issues re adjustment / installation? Does it require a certain precision when cutting off the old ends and installing the new ones to ensure the shift remains correctly adjusted? Would one likely need to then adjust via a bit of work at the cabin shifter end of the assembly?
I'll get some install instructions up soon that show where and how to cut the OEM ends out. You'll just be using diagnol wire cutters, or a similar cutting pliers to snip off one sidewall of the OEM ends.

From there, it's plug and play, meaning that adjustment cable and/or shifter adjustment won't be necessary. Because both the upgraded Cable Ends and the OEM cable end cups are located at the center of the shifter cable end housings, these units will locate the shift cable identically to the OEM setup.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Will they work with the Numeric Racing cables? I've heard the only complaint with going to the stronger cable is the noise vibration transferred into the car from the metal on metal connection.

I see your product tries to improve the original cables life, but what about someone who already switched to Numerics or wants a thinker cable at the same time they do the upgrade to the ends.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Will they work with the Numeric Racing cables? I've heard the only complaint with going to the stronger cable is the noise vibration transferred into the car from the metal on metal connection.

I see your product tries to improve the original cables life, but what about someone who already switched to Numerics or wants a thinker cable at the same time they do the upgrade to the ends.
This upgrade would not work on Numeric cables, the ends are shaped differently. And by the way, the Numerics do NOT have a metal-to-metal connection, there is a plastic "cup" between the ball and the socket. The noise/vibration that people complain about is the result of not doing a thorough job of insulating the cables on their run from the tranny, over the engine, through the firewall, and through the console. My Numerics do not transmit any noise and I really like them (2007 CS).

·
Registered
46 Posts
This upgrade would not work on Numeric cables, the ends are shaped differently. And by the way, the Numerics do NOT have a metal-to-metal connection, there is a plastic "cup" between the ball and the socket. The noise/vibration that people complain about is the result of not doing a thorough job of insulating the cables on their run from the tranny, over the engine, through the firewall, and through the console. My Numerics do not transmit any noise and I really like them (2007 CS).
How did you insulate the cables?

·
Registered
977 Posts
How did you insulate the cables?
I used all of the insulation from the original cables. There is rubber tubing on the sections that go over the engine - for these I sliced them lengthwise and then zip-tied them over the new cables. There is also a large molded gasket in the firewall that the cables go through just at the rear of the console. I carefully cut it out so that I could reuse it with the new cables.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I used all of the insulation from the original cables. There is rubber tubing on the sections that go over the engine - for these I sliced them lengthwise and then zip-tied them over the new cables. There is also a large molded gasket in the firewall that the cables go through just at the rear of the console. I carefully cut it out so that I could reuse it with the new cables.
Agreed with racergreg, I did same by using the rubber cover off the oem shifter cables and zip tied on to the numeric and no noise inside my CR.

·
Vendor
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hi everyone, sorry about the delays and lack of communication on this. I should have done a better job of keeping everyone in the loop! Our machine shop was backlogged by over a month, and the production run was only just completed a week ago. But I've been sorting everything, and it's all looking great! So these will begin shipping early next week. Website product page and directions are nearly complete and should be up on the website by Monday.

We did product rollout for the 997 models and offered 40% off to the first 5 buyers in exchange for reviews/impressions/pictures. I would like to extend that to the Planet-9 community, as well. If interested in taking advantage of that, please send me a PM or email me (linked in signature below).

Regular price = $225
Rollout price for first 5 buyers = $135

S/H to USA = $9.50; Canada = $16.50; Intl = $24.50

(Please note that once this upgrade is installed into your shifter cables, it's not reversible to OEM, since destroying the plastic/rubber innards is required.)

Sorry again for not communicating earlier, and thanks for everyone's patience. I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone likes the upgrade!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts