Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having just taken delivery of a 2018 991.2 4s, MT and as a former owner of a 981 BS also MT, I thought I it would be useful and fun to record my ownership experience with this car using my 981 BS as a reference point. Most of the reviews I have read don't really reflect actual ownership experience so I am hoping this is useful not just to myself but also to others who may be thinking of buying this version of the 911. I am only going to focus on the driving experience and not electronics and other stuff irrelevant to the drive. Please note that I am just an average enthusiast and not some professional driver who can tease out the nuances and finer points in the driving experience between the two cars. These are just my impressions.

My second drive today about 30 miles mostly back roads and a bit of highway.

Impressions of the MT: The feel of the 7 speed MT is very similar to the 6 speed in the BS. If anything, it feels slightly notchier ( new car) but clutch engagement is very forgiving and quite similar. Clutch is much lighter so I needed some recalibration.
Strangely, I noticed some drivetrain lash/ chatter in the 911 in first that I do not recall in my BS. Maybe a new car.

Steering: The steering feels lighter in the 911 and I don't sense any greater feedback than in my 981 BS. It is very accurate and very similar so I can't say that one is superior to the other.

Power delivery: remarkably similar and surprising. The turbo six feels very much like a NA motor. I could not sense an abrupt onset of power despite the turbo. Below 3.5k rpms, even the 420 hp six is a sleeper. Not that different in feel from the 3.4 NA flat six. I haven't revved the engine past 4.5k rpms and I am waiting for break in period. Less NVH not that the 3.4 was coarse.

Brakes: nothing to say except that the brakes are very strong but these are Porsches we are talking about.

Ride: I used comfort settings (tire pressure) today in my 911 with the PASM in normal mode. My BS with 19 inch wheels did not have PASM. Here I notice a clear difference. The 911 rides much better especially on the highway. Feels much more settled and more like a sport sedan than a sports car. Very nice for long drives. In town, I really can't say it is any better. Firm ride and does not like undulations in the road.

Cockpit and comfort: As I had hoped, the 911 with its 18-way seats is vastly superior. It is clearly a more comfortable cabin. I get a much better sense of space and comfort and having a glass sunroof makes the cabin very airy and nice. Sunroof open and windows down, it doesn't quite simulate the convertible experience but is close. Very nice. Visibility is excellent. My BS had the 14-way seats and for my body, 5 ft 11 inches and 170 lbs, the 18 ways feel way more comfortable.

Sound: I did not get the SE but despite that, in sport mode, the car is not quiet. I can clearly hear the raspiness of the flat six which starts raising its voice past 4K rpms. It is quieter than the 3.4 with the SE but I am happy with the level of sound and am glad that I did not get the SE. Windows down and sunroof open, in sport mode, I could hear the flat six but also the turbo whoosh. Windows up and closed sunroof, it is a little quieter but by no means a quiet car. Tires make quite a racket as well.

Handling: Now this is my first rear engine car and that too an awd but already I sense the greater weight in the back. I took an on ramp, a long descending right sweeper with a posted limit of 30. I used to take that ramp at about 70 in my Boxster with little drama. In the 911, I could already feel the heft in the back which needed some brain recalibration. This car handles differently. At a similar highway split where I took the sharp right fork, again I could feel the lightness in the front compared to my BS. Interesting.

Anyway that's all for now. As I pulled into my garage I noticed a screw in my right rear tire. It had gone in about quarter of an inch. I pulled it out. No loss of air. But very strange that I would encounter this in only my second drive.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks for your observations. Looking forward to more in the future!

Reactions: Damonki and Anand

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I enjoyed reading it. The clutch and the rear weight bias take some getting used to but it will feel like a glove soon enough. After I got back from 2750 miles driving my 991.2C4 around Europe and then came back to my Boxster, the clutch just felt like I needed a hydraulic leg to push it in.....it was so heavy. Then I got used to that again.

Reactions: Damonki and Anand

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the write up. I enjoyed reading it. The clutch and the rear weight bias take some getting used to but it will feel like a glove soon enough. After I got back from 2750 miles driving my 991.2C4 around Europe and then came back to my Boxster, the clutch just felt like I needed a hydraulic leg to push it in.....it was so heavy. Then I got used to that again.
It will be interesting to read your perspective as you switch back and forth between the two cars. I hope you get your 911 soon.
And since you will have both cars, ( I wish I could have kept my BS), you are in the best possible position.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
It will be interesting to read your perspective as you switch back and forth between the two cars. I hope you get your 911 soon.
And since you will have both cars, ( I wish I could have kept my BS), you are in the best possible position.
Thanks. I plan to do a video review and comparison of the two cars. (if I get the time!). I love them both.

Reactions: Damonki

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
A couple of other observations. I like looking at the car's vitals when I am driving and I don't like distractions.

a) TPMS in the 911 will not display tire pressure when stationary but will show the deviation from pressure settings whether they were set at normal or comfort. You have to drive the car at 15mph to get a tire pressure reading. I guess when stationary, from the difference in set tire pressure, one can judge if one tire is low as long as you remember the previous reading.

b) Instead of a stalk to toggle the various displays on the multi-function screen as in my 13 BS, it has been replaced by a 'bubble' scroller on the multi-function wheel. The small rubber roller feels quite flimsy. I leave it to display oil temp., coolant temp, oil pressure and turbo boost. Seems like a standard setting.

c) I can't turn the upshift indicator off like I did in my Boxster.

d) too many gauges in the cluster as is typical of 911s. Very distracting for the driver so best not to look at them except the tach and the digital speed readout.

e) no dash reflection in the windshield in my two-tone blue and graphite interior while driving.

Actually, in a car like this, fidgeting with a PCM touch screen and swiping etc. while driving is not a good idea.

Reactions: subshooter

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A common question that folks may ask is whether the 911 is a better touring car than the 981? Well, I have had the chance for several longish highway drives in my 911 and I can say without any reservation that yes, it is a significantly better touring car than my 981 Boxster S. The ride is much better, the cabin just feels more open and airy and there is less din despite the noisy tires. It is by no means a quiet car. But one can hear the Boss stereo clearly and the 18-way seats are just about perfect for my body.
It is a car with a vastly expanded range of use for me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Anand, I'm coming from a 981 Cayman (except went from PDK to manual) as well and your impressions and experience are spot on!! I definitely felt that rear weight distribution when getting on an on ramp! Similarly with the 18 way seats! I previously had the 14 way and could get some back pain after a couple of hours on the highway. I had no problem with the 18 way seats after driving 4 and half hours.
The transmission felt "notchy" at first but this has improved if not almost disappeared. Similarly, l I believe I also experienced some drivetrain lash/ chatter at first and happy to report that this has resolved (it does occur when the car is still cold though).
I'm also happy to report that good things happen above 4000 rpm.

Reactions: Anand

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Anand, I'm coming from a 981 Cayman (except went from PDK to manual) as well and your impressions and experience are spot on!! I definitely felt that rear weight distribution when getting on an on ramp! Similarly with the 18 way seats! I previously had the 14 way and could get some back pain after a couple of hours on the highway. I had no problem with the 18 way seats after driving 4 and half hours.
The transmission felt "notchy" at first but this has improved if not almost disappeared. Similarly, l I believe I also experienced some drivetrain lash/ chatter at first and happy to report that this has resolved (it does occur when the car is still cold though).
I'm also happy to report that good things happen above 4000 rpm.
That's great about the transmission. I am glad I am not just imagining it. I think it is good to share experiences wih this lovely car. I completely understand now why folks love the 911. I still can't believe I own this car.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I still can't believe it as well !! Come to think of it, neither of us are new to the brand and the interior are similar to the 981 yet the 911 feels special. Out of curiosity, how many looks do you when walking away from it ?

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I still can't believe it as well !! Come to think of it, neither of us are new to the brand and the interior are similar to the 981 yet the 911 feels special. Out of curiosity, how many looks do you when walking away from it ?
I've only had my car for a week and I check in on it every few hours when I am awake and at home. My wife has asked me if I want to sleep in the garage.:) I like staring at it. Good thing it is not a woman or I'd be arrested for stalking.
The drive is what I truly enjoy. I was really nervous about blowing 125k on a car and was hoping it would be more user-friendly and that my wife would like it. The car so far has exceeded my expectations and my wife likes it. :) She did not like my Boxster and did not like riding in it.

Reactions: chows4us

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Two questions for you, Anand: is there more legroom, and is there less tire noise at speed? Tx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
245 Posts
Anand thanks for your thoughts. I have had a 2016 Boxster Spyder for about 18 months. I love it but the ride is firm and my wife complains that she gets car sick in it (probably my driving). This week I will be picking up a 911 GTS cab with manual and was counting on it being less harsh on long drives so as not to get unwanted looks from my passenger. Sounds from you like this will indeed be the case.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Two questions for you, Anand: is there more legroom, and is there less tire noise at speed? Tx

I find it roomier and with comfort entry, it is also easier getting in and out than my Boxster. And yes, it is less noisy than my Boxster with the top up but I had the SE in the Boxster. There is tire roar and I am pretty sure if I switched to Michelins, that sound too be reduced. As I said before, it is by no means a quiet car but is quieter than my Boxster.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Will throw in a couple more observations.
a) I can't for the life of me tell that this is turbo car. Throttle is very linear. With my turbo Volvos, it is very easy to tell because of the abrupt onset of power.
b) Car is a pussycat below 4000 rpms and driven reasonably. It is not a crazy torque monster with a jumpy throttle. No need to 'fear' the 420 hp. I don't have to drive it like a maniac nor is the car straining to be free to do 100+ mph.
c) Car can carry crazy amounts of speed into corners.:)
d) And this is just me. I always felt a sort of frenzy driving my Boxster. Needed to drive it fast. This car not so much. After back to back long bicycle rides yesterday and today, I was tired and wanted a more relaxed pace for long drives in the afternoons. The 911 is happy to oblige. I can easily see this as my only car.

·
Registered
782 Posts

If I can answer also, I find with my 981B I have to put my left foot under the brake pedel to get enough comfort for cruising, if I keep my left foot on the resting block, the angle forces my left thigh into the 18 way seat bolster. In my 991.2 C4S, I don't have that problem.
I find that the C4S cabin (I don't have a sunroof) with windows up is about as quiet as the 918B with top and windows up but the road noise is substantially higher in the C4S with P Zero's versas the 18" Dunlop Sport Maxx on the 981B.
All in all with all the added technology in the 991.2, it's a better overall cruising experience than the 981B but the 981B is still a very refined sports car. On rough roads the 981B is slightly more comfortable than the C4S which I attribute to the Wheel size.
BTW both cars have PASM.
Again my wife prefers the C4S.-Richard
BTW Safety, the 981B with the top up has just awful rear vision.
The C4S is much better and I also have LCA which is even better. I also have ACC which is just great for highway crusing!

Reactions: MidEngine-Fan

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
She needs to drive it, then keep it. Its not MT, right. No heavy clutch. You might regret it though if she keeps it.
It is a MT (see below). I like driving a manual. Clutch is wonderful and light. Car is easier to drive than my MT Boxster. My wife has been threatening to drive it. She never touched the Boxster. Just came with me on drives that too occasionally and complained about the ride and noise. :(
With this car, wife is happy so I am doubly happy. :) She is not into cars so her threats to drive the car are just bluff thankfully.

Base Price 911 Carrera 4S
$112,000

Price for Equipment
$17,870
Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee
$1,050
Total Price* $130,920
Exterior Color
Night Blue Metallic
N5
$720
Interior Color
Leather Interior in Graphite Blue/Chalk
BG
$4,280
Packages
Premium Package i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
P3F
$620
Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
$0
Auto-Dimming Mirrors
$0
Seat Heating (Front)
$0
Exterior
"PORSCHE" Logo Painted Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
CWL
$380
Rear Wiper
$370
Power Folding Exterior Mirrors
$330
Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass
$2,000
Performance
Manual Transmission
$0
Sport Chrono Package
QR5
$2,090
Wheels
20" Carrera S Wheels
$0
Wheel Accessories
Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest
$190
Interior
Light Design Package
$510
Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel
$470
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
P07
$3,470
Seat Ventilation (Front)
$840
Smoking Package
$0
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
$0
Instrument Dials in Black
$0
Audio and Communications
BOSE® Surround Sound System
9VL
$1,600
Total Price* $130,920

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Have about 600 miles on my car and took it on a short trip to VT with my wife. Some additional observations:
a) Nice touring car. Quite comfortable on the highway but is not a luxury ride. Concrete sections, the Pirelli tires are noisy but otherwise not bad. I think Michelins will be better with 19 inch wheels. 18-way seats are perfect for me and much more comfortable across the shoulders than the 14-ways that I had in my Boxster.
b) Sunroof open, windows down, I can the hear the flat six clearly. Closed, the sound is more muted. Not very noisy but very pleasing and I wouldn't want it any noisier. No drone without the SE. Visibility is excellent.
c) Clutch and shifter have settled in and I don't experience any chatter in first. Very easy car to drive.
d) Two tone graphite and chalk leather interior is gorgeous. After this, I don't think I can ever go back to the standard interior.
e) dark blue car attracts almost no attention. Very grateful for that.

It is great to be able to personalize a new car. Can keep the price reasonable for a 911 and get the options one wants and not the ones picked by the dealer such as in this manual 4s for 143k.

https://porschenashua.com/inventory...Nashua+New+Hampshire+2018+Carmine+Red+1342765

Edit: Can't get a tire pressure reading or the difference from set pressure when the car is in the garage. Have to drive it first up to 15mph.

The car is crazy fast.:):) I have to be careful.

Reactions: subshooter
1 - 20 of 120 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.