Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Looking for help in deciding if I should add a GT3 to my very small car collection. I realize that I'm lucky to even own one Porsche let alone three along with three other cars. However, I'm looking for advice from folks with experience driving a recent 500 hp GT3. I currently drive a 375 hp NA Spyder and a 450 hp new GTS 911.2. Both have manual boxes. I don't plan on doing a lot if any track time. Do you think I would find the driving experience of the new GT3 different enough from these other cars on a twisty road to warrant the expense of owning one. I realize this question is based upon the definition of "expense." Let's just say I can afford it but don't want to waste money on a purchase if I'm not going to find the car significantly different than what I have now on back roads. Also, I since I love three peddle cars I would probably go with a manual in the GT3 as well. Thoughts from those with more experience......?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If you can get an allocation for a GT3, go for it. Lists are already long and/or you'll pay over msrp. That said, for a weekend drive on a twisty road I think the Spyder is just about perfect.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, appreciate your opinion.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Since you have many cars and don't need a back seat, there is no way I would get a .2 GTS over a GT3. No way.

.2 is turbo and doesn't sound as good as the GT3. The GT3 is the Porsche king. NA, 9000 rpm.

Easy decision. If I only had one Porsche and DD to choose from, then the .2 GTS would be it but that is not your case. Good luck getting an allocation. Allocations are limited for a reason.

I have two Porsches BTW.

Reactions: Closertotruth

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Of course you should get one if you can get an allocation. The touring version without the wing would be my personal pick. Drool! But please drive it if you get one. I bought a 4s so that I can drive it all year round even though it is not my primary car.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
GT3 is special, GTS not so much, if you can get an allocation, get the GT3, if you decide it's too much for you, you can always get rid of it without losing much. I should had purchased a 997.1 GT3 instead of my 997.1 C4S. I could had sold it for more than what I brought it for.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I drive what I want and my Dealer has offered me GT3 allocations.
I have a 981B and ordered a 991.2 C4S as a daily driver year round here in Wisconsin.
A GT3 is a Track Car first.
If you need a huge rear wing that only provides an advantage at 'Go To Jail Speed' on the road, go for it.
As with most GT3's they sit in garages, go to car shows and provide mental uplift to the their owners.
My C4S goes everywhere, snow, rain and even Snow Auto Crosses at Road America.
Alas (sarcasm) it has no rear wing but it wiil run with most older Porsches at a DE no matter the size of the rear wing.
As my instructer said after my first DE with the car at Blackhawk, "Any day you can pass a GT3, is a good day!"
A GTS is a great car but I ordered the first C4S in my area and had a year and a half of driving it before a GTS would have arrived.
Do you want an ego car that most rarely use unless they Track the car or do you want a car to drive on a daily basis?-Richard

Reactions: Closertotruth

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I have to agree with Richard. I didn't catch the 'no track use' clarifier. I haven't driven the new GT3 but even without the wing (touring model) I can't imagine it would as user-friendly as a GTS or S model. A guys I know used to own a 997 GT3 and that was pretty rough. Even with my 4S and no SPASM, the ride is firm but comfortable. In sport plus mode, even with the standard PASM, the ride is pretty stiff on bad roads. And there is a lot of lumpy pavement in the Northeast. It may depend upon the OP's tolerance to ride quality.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your input. I wouldn't order it with the wing. I just like the NA motor in my Spyder and thought 500hp NA would feel very different than the 375hp Spyder and the 450 911.2 with turbos.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the opportunity presented itself and I couldn't resist so I have a GT3 Touring coming in August. After reading lots of valuable opinions here and on rennlist I will do my own experiment by comparing the GTS and the GT3. I really like the GTS and figure if I find the GT3 too firm and torque deficient I can sell it with minimal to no loss. Looking forward to the sound though.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Looking forward to you comparo when you get the GT3. At the end of the day, it is what best fits your expectations and desires for the specific way you use your car that counts. While it may not be exactly the same as you...............it is why I now drive a 2016 Cayman 2.7L configured exactly the way I want it (PDK, 19" wheels, X73, PDLS, 14 way seats......) instead of my previous Cayman R (6MT).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.