Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know if these wheels will fit on the rear of a 981 2.7, with 15mm spacers please?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hello,

Does anyone know if these wheels will fit on the rear of a 981 2.7, with 15mm spacers please?

Thank you in advance.
Hello,

Thank you in advance.
This will put that wheel at 55 and the 987 would need between 43-46. With it being 11” and the 987 suspension as it is, you will likely hit suspension before you hit the mounting surface. This is my guess not having tried any wheel from a 911 to Boxster/Cayman. Mathematically I don’t think this will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hi, I've got a 981 Boxster.
Ah ok, sorry I misread that. Stock 981 rear wheel offset is +45 for a stock 19" so the 15mm spacer would put you at +55. Here is a little better idea of what I mean, graphically. You can see that even using spacers, the rear wheel rim will be 1.00" closer to suspension and I'm preeeetty sure there isn't 1.5" (a tad more than 1.00" for clearence) at stock wheel offset, to the strut. The 981 was not designed to have that large of a width on the rear, therefore it may not be possible. I know there are some that have done it so it might be best to do search on a few forums for topics that fit your question and see what wheels they have used. If I remember right, they were NOT stock 911 wheels but something custom ordered via aftermarket. HRE, Fiske, Victory or something.

Edit: I didn't use the spacer option in the calulator because it maxes at +65 for wheel offset and using +70, if it had it, and using +15 spacer is the same this as just using +55.

Reactions: 718as

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Yep, my calc with a 15mm spacer says about 10mm further out with outer rim which is fine since most use 10-15mm spacers in back over stock anyway for a more flush look, but the inner rim will move 29mm further inward not including the tire. I cant recall from memory if there is enough clearance for that or not when under my car.

That 11" 911 rim typically has a 305 X 30 X 20 tire on it. A 295 X 30 X 20 on a 20 X 10 rim will work because Ive had them on the back of my previous 987 with no issue

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Yep, my calc with a 15mm spacer says about 10mm further out with outer rim which is fine since most use 10-15mm spacers in back over stock anyway for a more flush look, but the inner rim will move 29mm further inward not including the tire. I cant recall from memory if there is enough clearance for that or not when under my car.

That 911 rim typically has a 305 X 30 X 20 tire on it. A 295 X 30 X 20 on a 20 X 10 rim will work because Ive had them on the back of my previous 987 with no issue
I just went out and took a pic. Here is my Cayman with stock 20” Carrera S wheels and 10mm spacer. So this is 10mm further than where you will start from.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

That 911 rim typically has a 305 X 30 X 20 tire on it. A 295 X 30 X 20 on a 20 X 10 rim will work because Ive had them on the back of my previous 987 with no issue
Yeah, I just chose 295 because it's the base 911 rear tire. The 305 will be a tad wider of course but overall it shouldn't change the math much. I doubt the stock 911 11" will fit without a really large spacer and a good bit outside the rear fender. To get the clearence in the back the wheel will HAVE to come forward thereby poking out the front quite a bit.

Reactions: ICNU

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
@PG-IN can you give me the URL for that visualizer if it is online?, thanks!

Although might be irrelevant with standard 981 suspension my 982 has 20x11 rear wheels and they have a 50mm offset.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
@PG-IN can you give me the URL for that visualizer if it is online?, thanks!

Although might be irrelevant with standard 981 suspension my 982 has 20x11 rear wheels and they have a 50mm offset.
As far as I know, all 981/718 have the same suspension. Your 20” are not factory set though, correct?

That’s kinda what I’m saying to the OP. If he can get the wheel further from the suspension without going too far outside the fender (with a custom spec) 11” will probably be ok. But a 911 11” will take a pretty big spacer to do that. 20-25mm. That’s a pretty big spacer and one I wouldn’t want to use personally. But that’s me.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
As far as I know, all 981/718 have the same suspension. Your 20” are not factory set though, correct?

That’s kinda what I’m saying to the OP. If he can get the wheel further from the suspension without going too far outside the fender (with a custom spec) 11” will probably be ok. But a 911 11” will take a pretty big spacer to do that. 20-25mm. That’s a pretty big spacer and one I wouldn’t want to use personally. But that’s me.

SORRY... I did the reply in a hurry, I was supposed to add 'Spyder ' to the description. It would be interesting to know if a 2016 GT4 wheel would work for this car?

Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all.

im currently running 20x10 ET 55 with 15mm spacer and 275/35/20 with no issues.

so looking at calculations if I put on 20z11 ET 70 with 15 mm, It will move closer to strut - 27.7mm closer to the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 2.3mm less than before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe they will fit with 25mm spacers.
Would having spacers that big be safe?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I believe they will fit with 25mm spacers.
Would having spacers that big be safe?

Thanks
They make them for sure, but I personally wouldn't run one that big. That's almost 1" and remember, the wheel bolt is also that much longer. That is a LOT of stress to put on a wheel bolt that long in my opinion. I think about the amount of leverage on those bolts. Spacers that big are usually only available in racing circles and racing shops. Race cars that use them don't have the same safety concerns of driving on the street every single day and are obviously prepared for any kind of failure that do occur with safety gear. Not to mention they are running races which are generally short and then tear it all down an inspect things before using again. I would compare it to seeing these pick up trucks with really short tires and HUGE offset wheels setting them far outside the body of the truck, and how many of those I have seen on the side of the road with a wheel broken off from either stud failures or wheel bearing failures. I just cringe and get as far away from the guys I see with this set up and towing a low-boy with a bobcat or some such piece of heavy equipment. 😣

Which brings up the next point which is excessive stress on wheel bearings.

Sorry to go on, I'm just not a big fan of excessively large spacers or huge offset wheels. I run 10mm rear and 5mm front. Just enough to set the wheels out to the body.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
SORRY... I did the reply in a hurry, I was supposed to add 'Spyder ' to the description. It would be interesting to know if a 2016 GT4 wheel would work for this car?

Thanks for the link!
Ah! OK. I THINK the 981 Spyder uses the same suspension as the other 981 variants, but the only the GT4 uses the GT parts. Then the 718 series of both share the same suspension and are from GT parts bins. I could be wrong on the 981 Spyder but I don't think I am.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Ah! OK. I THINK the 981 Spyder uses the same suspension as the other 981 variants, but the only the GT4 uses the GT parts. Then the 718 series of both share the same suspension and are from GT parts bins. I could be wrong on the 981 Spyder but I don't think I am.
I concur, the 981 Spyder is like the regular 981 except IIRC it uses the X73 variant...

Reactions: PG-IN

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I concur, the 981 Spyder is like the regular 981 except IIRC it uses the X73 variant...
Yeah, that sounds right. And as far as GT4 wheel on the std suspension, here is info from the calculator and Suncoast has them listed for other 981 as an option but stated may require spacers for the front. No problem on the link. It's probably one of the best I've found to show graphically.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts