Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Porsche 911 C4S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Planet-9! New member... During a spirited drive in my 991 C4S a "PADM FAULT - Ok to drive carefully" alert popped up. It appears based on my research that one of the transmission mounts has failed. Does anyone know if there is any other explanation for the fault? Unfortunately the new mount is $1300 before installation. Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my 981 Cayman last year. You can continue to drive it just fine, but there isnt anything else you can do but have it replaced. The mount is a canister with an electronic coil in it surrounded by a metallic sludge. When the coil is energized the studge will stiffen up. There are several reports of these things shorting out, even on brand new cars that are only weeks old, but the worst that can happen is it just stays in the soft mode all of the time.

The Cayman has only dynamic transmission mounts. The 911 has dynamic motor mounts as well. Yes it sucks that an expensive part like this can just randomly fail for no apparent reason, and its just more of the "Porsche tax" that must be paid for these exorbitantly priced parts by guys like me that are out of warranty

·
Registered
2013 Porsche 911 C4S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ICNU. I was beginning to wonder if I had made my post incorrectly. Appreciate your input. I, too, am outside of the warranty. Then again I'm guessing the "tax" is worth the pleasure of driving one! I have ordered the part and plan to change it out myself. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It would be great to hear your experience when done. I'm considering doing mine myself as I can see them very easily when under the car with my lift. I need to study things a bit more and see where things would need to be supported during the swap.

How did you diagnose which specific mount had failed? I have the iCarsoft 2 device for resetting my maintenance codes since I do most of that myself, but it doesnt show error codes regarding a PADM failure despite it being there at every startup.

I need to plug in my Cobb device and see if it picks anything up, but I'm assuming this may take a Durametric device or PIWIS to properly diagnose

·
Registered
2013 Porsche 911 C4S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd be happy to share how it goes. It looks more cumbersome than complicated... removing the rear bumper, etc. The dealerships can do it without removing it, but i'll have to see if I have the tools/set-up to pull that off. You can find various DIYs online, although I wasn't able to find one for e 991 generation. It doesn't look too bad at all. I used my iCarsoft device to tell me which mount. It's the driver's side in my case.
1585356417465.png
I think I had to drill down a bit into the menu to find it. It wasn't too complicated or I wouldn't have figured it out, trust me. I can go back in if you can't find it. Let me know. Not a problem...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Wow, you have the first version and I have the 2 so I would assume I have the same ability unless they took it away. I guess I need to do some more digging within the menus, but I thought I had gone through every one of them already. Its good to see the specific code as well, so thanks for that!

Im lucky in the fact that my mounts are right there along side the tranny no where near the bumper or any other body parts due to the Cayman engine position vs the 991. You can see my mounts two circled in the diagram

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Porsche 911 C4S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's great! You also have the advantage of access through the hatchback. VERY limited access to the rear in the 991.

Ya I would think you're version 2 should be able to diagnose this issue. I don't know why they would discontinue the feature... but stranger things have happened. I'll try to plug in today and map the path on version 1, maybe that will help.

Love the Cayman btw. Had an 08 Cayman S (manual) up until a couple years ago. Such an incredibly well balanced car... and SO fun to drive!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yep, I had an 06 when they first came out, and then a blue 08 CS myself. I took it in for an oil change in August of 2013, and the racing yellow 981 CS I have now was sitting on the showroom floor as a new 2014 model as they had just been released. That was the most expensive oil change I have ever had!;) It almost happened again when I was back a couple years later with the 981 and there was gorgeous 991 paint to sample GT3 sitting there that someone traded with only a few miles on it, but my lady said no. I now do all my own maintenance as I am not allowed at the dealership anymore. Its just too risky it seems

The one difference I see with your iCarsoft device is appears you have the multi car version and mine is the Porsche only version 2, but you would think that it would still have all the same Porsche functionality? I may have to come back and beg for the specific menu list/order that you are accessing to get there if I cant find it. I will try again tomorrow and see if I can find it on mine. Its possible its just 991 vs 981 function thing?

·
Registered
2013 Porsche 911 C4S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol... understood! GT2/3 RS is dreamland for me. Saw a used 2019 at the dealer today for $221K. A little beyond what I'm willing to pay, and WAY beyond what my wife will authorize! 🙄 I do all my own work as well... primarily as a matter of principle, because the idea of paying $330 for an oil change is robbery!

My Carsoft appears to only be Porsche. At least the menu only lists Porsche models (911, Cayman, Boxter, etc.) .

So I mapped the path and it's not intuitive. It took me a while to figure how I did it, and eventually success! See below:
IMG_2351.jpg IMG_2352.jpg IMG_2353.jpg IMG_2354.jpg IMG_2355.jpg IMG_2356.jpg IMG_2357.jpg IMG_2358.jpg

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Thank you so much for this effort! I will give it a go and see what I can do and report back. Again, above and beyond and I really appreciate the step by step menu images.(y)(y)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Just wanted to follow up and let you know that the information your provided worked for me! My menus are completely different past the diagnose part, but I was still able to work my way through. The biggest help was seeing that the system calls this "Level Control" for some reason?? I would have never guessed to look under than heading.

Also, I had Cayman listed as a car option but I got a message in every option that it could not read the ECU. I found that they also had a Boxster (981) in the list so I tried this as that is closest thing and it specified 981 and that was where I found it. Same message as you but on the Right side for me. I find it odd that they call it a "pressure sensor" and now this has me wondering if its really the mount itself or if there is some other gadget associated with it throwing the error?

It appears from under my car that the electrical plug for the mounts are plugged directly into the mount itself which is a pretty simple looking device. When I think of level control I think of the accelerometers that adjust the suspension when it detects the cars attitude, not the engine or transmission mounts, but PADM definitely stands for Porsche Active Dynamic Mounts and the others I have read about having the same issues were the mounts. EDIT: After a little research its determined that the mounts are actually engaged to some degree at all times and will stiffen up on their own under hard Gs to keep the engine in line with the chassis, or tranny as in my case so it appears the labeling does make sense after all.

I found this cutaway view that is helpful in seeing what is going on inside

And I found this comment from someone with a PADM message that I thought was interesting and think I will just pull the plug this weekend and give it a shot and see what happens (Post #32). I dont have anything to lose at this point

·
Registered
2013 Porsche 911 C4S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad it worked! Now you can at least proceed with confidence that it's the right side. The cutaway is very interesting... functions like I thought it did but it's designed a little differently.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger this weekend. My local dealership had a mount in stock for...... $1400..... ouch. I picked it up on Saturday afternoon and installed it Sunday in about 4hrs. The most difficult part was getting to it. The rear bumper and spoiler mechanism removal involved over 30 screws/bolts. Once I got it, it was a piece of cake.

Interesting Rennlist post.. I have to make sure my wife doesn't read it! My connector was perfectly clean and in "like new" condition. After I installed the new one, the code was gone. I say it certainly doesn't hurt to try the connector first! Let me know. And if you end up having to replace it, it's not a big deal at all. That is, as long as you can stomach the $$$. :oops: I actually put together a quick Youtube since I couldn't find one. Hopefully it will be helpful to 991 owners. I'm not guessing there's much crossover with yours unfortunately. Let me now how things turnout!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yeah, I dont have a lot of hope that cleaning the plug will do anything. The biggest difference for me is the wire harness is all exposed on the bottom of the car and not hidden up high in the back bumper like yours, so there is a greater chance is could become contaminated with something when driving. Its definitely been a learning experience for me, and quite educational on the discovery that the mounts are not just acting on the Sport Chrono button being pressed, but receiving signals at all times and reacting on their own to the G forces of the car if needed.

I plan on getting it back up on the lift this weekend and take a more detailed look now that I know which specific one that is faulty

1 - 16 of 16 Posts