Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friend from college and I are in the middle of a heated debate :eek: .

Which car is a better car to buy for a "track toy" for a guy who has done 3 track days so far. He is fired up about getting a 996 GT2 and I am telling him that a 996TT would be a better choice.

Some background...

Over the years he has owned every M3 ever made, a few 911s including a 996TT and an 80s (or was it 90s?) era "Speedster", and most recently a Ferrari 360. His current car is a new M3, and he recently started doing track days at my urging. He is hooked.

My contention, is that he should step up to a GT3 if he thinks a 996TT isn't "sporty enough". Either a 996 or a 997 if he is willing to part with more cash. He is not interested. He is hung up on the GT2 based upon what a guy at a high end car place told him. I told him it is known as "the widowmaker". He is single, so he doesn't care. LOL.

I say that a 996TT is going to be much more enjoyable on the track for a guy like him until he is ready to get a GT3. He thinks the GT2 sounds like the best of both worlds.

Honestly, I only know what I have read about GT2s, and I have seen very few at the track...and never have seen anyone drive one well. That doesn't mean that they are not great cars, of course.

Thoughts?

The choices are 996GT2 and 996TT.

All other recommendations are off the table right now, so no "Miata 'til he wins some races" or "What about a Cayman?" ;)

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
Are you asking strictly what he would enjoy more on the track? GT2 ( I say this for a few reasons including talking to foks in between run groups)
Less expensive to run? GT2 (because of the awd and weight he'll go through tires, brakes, etc faster)
Less likely to wind up in a wall? TT
Faster? tie
Lose less money on? TT S

I've driven both the 6GT2 and the 6TT on the track. In fact if he's looking for a fantasticly setup 6TT that's not to extreme a friend of mine is selling his which he replaced with a 7GT2 and 7TT pdk.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I have driven a straight street 996 GT2 at Miller a little over a year ago for a few laps. The owner had never done any modifications to the steering and suspension. He tracks and races a 997.1 Cup car as well as many other rare beauties including an amazing, very real, perfect Porsche 917 replica.

I hated the GT2. Huge power with an unbalanced feel that wanted to go in all directions.( often tail end first). If you do some very serious steering and suspension changes, I have heard that it can make the car much more predictable. But this car would never be a very serious choice as a semi-regular track car without many serious changes. The 996TT with its AWD will be significantly more planted than the GT2.

It sounds like the guy enjoys having a confident image with sports cars. Tell him how his image will do nothing but suffer much embarrassment, often at the worst of times, with the 996 GT2, with save after save, and more than a few very easy spins. Even with talent, he will just be managing the 996 GT2. But with a GT3 he will be able to demonstrate all of his driving talents with a car that will work with him completely; not against him. If he does choose the GT2,.. put in a VERY stiff suspension, to help reduces spins due to untimely throttle lifting.

Other than that, wish him 'Bon Chance', and keep him and his GT2 far away from Infineon and other places with many walls. LOL
:cheers:

My friend's 917 ( after all it is Porsche Motorsports and Past Models section of the Forum ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
If your friend is serious about tracking he will most likely improve quickly enough to warrant a car that isn't camber challenged.
So I would say a GT2 over TT.

If the original question was about a GT3 or GT2 I would go with a GT3.
A 996 GT2 is as unrefined as it gets in terms of power delivery.

997 GT2's are very well sorted in that regard.

·
Registered
569 Posts
How long does he typically keep cars?

For me, after I got hooked, I started the long road of driving schools, mods, more school, more mods. Given that path, I would say the GT2. If I can safely assume he has the means to buy one, he can also afford a set of Motons or JRZ's to help tame it. I think the GT2 is probably a better platform if it's primary focus is the track.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
the smart choice is TT.
it doesn't matter how many M3 he has had, they all push so pretty easy to drive. not so with GT2. some may think GT2 may be risky in turns, i know plenty of ppl crashing their GT2's going STRAIGHT. and some of these ppl who crashed their GT2's have over 10 years of track experience in 500hp + cars.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
the smart choice is TT.
it doesn't matter how many M3 he has had, they all push so pretty easy to drive. not so with GT2. some may think GT2 may be risky in turns, i know plenty of ppl crashing their GT2's going STRAIGHT. and some of these ppl who crashed their GT2's have over 10 years of track experience in 500hp + cars.
+1 to what Mooty said, I would think you could pick up a 996 GT2 pretty cheaply these days as no one seems to want them...

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
the smart choice is TT.
Agreed, but I've also seen guys with 10+ years racing/de experience crash their spec miatas in very unlikely ways not unlike professional drivers who crash in the pits. Sometimes prudence can't be learned and talent often runs out. I agree the tt is the smarter choice but the GT2 is the more fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts