Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used set of cloth 996 GT3 seats from another member here. I always wanted the cloth and not the leather versions. I took a couple of pictures with the standard sport seat installed for comparison: My initial thoughts:

-Install was a bit of a pain. I didn't have much luck trying to assembly the rails, seats, and adjuster arm out of the car. I just couldn't get things to look right. I had better success keeping things loose and then tightening them down once in the car. That worked much better.
-Clearance between the center tunnel and the seat belt recepticle is tight!
-You sit a good bit lower. I had to readjust my mirrors.
-The car definitely feels different. There are different sensations being transmitted to your body compared with stock seats.
-They offer a bit more lumber support.
-The biggest difference to me was the shoulder wings. They are much more aggressive and tighter than the stock sport wings. I'm 6' 1", 185 and they kind of pinch my shoulders forward. I don't think I have that broad of shoulders. They do offer more grip and it is easier to hold yourself in place during corners because you can lean against them more with your shoulders.

Honestly I'm kind of on the fence. I'm going to drive with them for a week or two to see if the wings bother me or not. We'll see!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I think you'll get used to them. I ended up adding a pad to the seat bottom for longer trips. You may or not have that issue. I drove form Cincinnati to Road Atlanta once with GT3 seats and it didn't bother my shoulders.

I'm 5'10" at 180 lb.

·
Member of Zone 1 NNJR
135 Posts
I just installed the GT3 seats in my Cayman this weekend. I thought the install was relatively easy. I had the driver seat out before when I installed the fire extinguisher so I had been through that before. I think I will get seatbelt receivers at the end of the season when I reinstall the OEM seats. The GT3 seats are much lighter and easier going in and out.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow-up. I listed them for sale and then decided to keep them. I'm glad I did. I've gotten used to them now and they are pretty comfortable. I had to take out the lumbar support as that was bothering my back some.

As a side note, I definitily noticed a performance difference with the car--it felt sharper and quicker. I know the power to weight equivelant #'s didn't come out to much--about 5 hp in my case, but I could feel the difference!

Now I've got a mint set of sport seats that I need to keep the cats off of in the garage!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.