Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Remember we didn't get the first gen 996 GT3's here, we didn't start getting them until what 2003 or so? which would be the "mark II" by UK definitions. The 996 GT3's had a tendancy to really crunch your kidneys on the street, the Cayman is certainly a much better street car and in Gen 2 form is competitive on the track as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remember we didn't get the first gen 996 GT3's here, we didn't start getting them until what 2003 or so? which would be the "mark II" by UK definitions.
Didn't know it :(

The 996 GT3's had a tendancy to really crunch your kidneys on the street, the Cayman is certainly a much better street car and in Gen 2 form is competitive on the track as well.
Do you really think there is a huge improvement between gen1 vs gen2 (in manual gearbox version) ??? :confused:
(as we all know there is one between tiptronic & PDK)

·
Registered
570 Posts
"Both are unadulterated driver’s cars, both robust enough for regular road and track use and both sufficiently desired that their depreciation curves are navigable without too much pain."

Huh? Must be different in the UK cause in the states it's pretty steep. Doesn't take away from how great the car is though.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Gen I or Gen II GT3? Doesn't matter, I'll take either.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you really think there is a huge improvement between gen1 vs gen2 (in manual gearbox version) ??? :confused:
Imho the re-design of the block to these specs was huge.
a) a closed deck design
b) removal of the intermediate shaft
c) 4 head oil return scavenge pumps/lines instead of 2
d) redesigned oiling system for higher side loading

The interseries cars which have run 500+ hrs. of combined competition track time
(not DE pace but race pace with race tires) without a single engine issue says they fixed the previous problems.
Do a search on all the IMS/oiling issues with guys that have run R tires and above at the track.
Once I did, it was amazing to me how common it was once the tires got to R level and beyond.
There are also examples of guys who have done the Gen 1 sump+VOS and
still spun rod bearings (the farthest from the oil supply feed...hmmm) with R+ tires.
One of the many threads
The Gen 1 can be made into a good track car, but the oiling issue req. more than the sump+VOS to be reliable.
Big difference.
For street driving and/or DE's with street tires, the oiling issue hasn't been a big factor.
It generally starts becoming an issue on tracks with long sweepers and R tires.

Back OT, it's nice to see the Gen 2 getting some mag. time with the GT3.
That 996GT3 was fun and fast but it definitely beat you up on the street and
you had to pay absolute attention when at speed on anything but smooth pavement.

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
The simple fix is an accumulator like accusump. I don't believe there have been any failures with this mod.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not to derail this thread too far off topic, and it is worth re-addressing on one of the other threads on it,
but I just have to respond out of a concern for people's cars that the accusump is neither simple nor a complete fix.
Would I run one in a track car? Yes. In a street car? Probably not. Oil line/fitting failure in the cabin.....not good.
It assumes you will be able to reduce the forces before the sump pressure/volume runs out and does nothing
to resolve the scavenging/pooling issue in the heads or foaming/over-supply in the return.
It also does nothing to address the IMS failures which would still happen if not directly resolved.
Also, like any serious track car, if you run an oil pressure alarm, you will see
that even with an accusump as the only fix, the alarm will still trigger albeit less often and with less duration.
There is no doubt the accusump has saved many track engines. But is it the complete fix? No. For a street car? Imho, No.
This requires a multi-moded approach and not just an accusump imho.
I agree with Mike at TPC and Dwain at Vision on this, the issue needs more than an accusump to be done right.
I apologize for the OT, but accurate info. needs to be brought up here.
There are 3 other previously started and discussed threads on this for further information.
Peace out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.