Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching the gen 2 997 used car market for the past 3 or 4 months and have noticed a big turn around. It seemed a few months ago that there was still a decent number of left over 09 Carreras at the dealerships and a reasonable supply of used cars on the market. Back then there was a new dealer ad in the classifieds (on this forum) every 2 or 3 days. Prices were good and great deals were out there. I was lucky enough to pick up an 09 C2S with most of the options and color combo I wanted.

Checking the classifieds regularly, I noticed that there has not been a new dealer ad ( for a new or used 997.2) placed since April 11, that's almost four weeks without a single new ad on this site. Listings for used 09 or 10 997's are still out there, but the prices seem much higher. Is this just result of the discounted 09 inventory being depleted ? Are dealers selling their 911's so easily that they don't need to market their cars as aggressively ?? And what's up the lack of dealer ads on this site recently ??

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
First, glad you got your car! Porsche stated that they were going to cut back on production in the middle of 09. There were just too many cars on the lots and in the pipeline. Since VW has taken over, there was less financial pressure, I suspect, to crank out production particularly in a declining economy. Once the supply has decreased it becomes easier to ask more money for what's available, although I'm not sure this will actually translate into better resale/less depreciation. As you know the 997 series is winding down toward the 2011 introduction of the 991, probably at the Frankfurt auto show. I've read on other sites that a 997 Speedster (356 units reported to be built) and 997 GTS (X51, wide body 2wd, 500 cab/500 coupe reported to be built) will be part of the farewell offerings. This may also contributes to a declining production. Overall I'm extremely happy w/ my 09 C2S Cab. It does everything I could ask of it, and never fails to thrill and impress.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, glad you got your car! Porsche stated that they were going to cut back on production in the middle of 09. There were just too many cars on the lots and in the pipeline. Since VW has taken over, there was less financial pressure, I suspect, to crank out production particularly in a declining economy. Once the supply has decreased it becomes easier to ask more money for what's available, although I'm not sure this will actually translate into better resale/less depreciation. As you know the 997 series is winding down toward the 2011 introduction of the 991, probably at the Frankfurt auto show. I've read on other sites that a 997 Speedster (356 units reported to be built) and 997 GTS (X51, wide body 2wd, 500 cab/500 coupe reported to be built) will be part of the farewell offerings. This may also contributes to a declining production. Overall I'm extremely happy w/ my 09 C2S Cab. It does everything I could ask of it, and never fails to thrill and impress.
Dave, I bought my car but don't have it yet. It's somewhere between Arkansas and Michigan on it's way to me and I will have it early next week. It's been a long wait but I hope well worth it. I still have my CS which is for sale, but I look forward to having both, at least for a little while, to compare and contrast.

I think that resale on these cars should be strong with less depreciation because of the lower numbers...hope so anyway!

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I'm certain you will enjoy the 911. It's different from the Cayman but it really is a lot of fun to drive. It takes a little more work to drive it fast, I don't try to fling the 911 around corners the way I did w/ the CS, you sort of position yourself into the turn and step on it as you go out. Post some pictures when you get a chance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts