Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 997 gen 1. can anymore suggest an aftermarket air filter to replace the stock one and a silicon air intake also. does this mod make much difference to the hp. any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Well take this for FWIW because I'm not a big fan of engine mods in general, but I doubt you're going to realize any significant gains in HP/torque by only changing to a "cold air" filter. Personally I'd stick w/ the stock OEM setup. IMHO when it comes to modding a modern Porsche non-turbo engine you need to go w/ the whole enchilada-- headers, exhaust, intake, and then a mandatory ECU reflash to realize significant real world gains. At that point it's no longer the engine that left the factory with all the good and potentially bad that may go along for the ride.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I agree with Dave.... changing the filter or intake will not make a noticeable difference in HP but you may notice a little louder intake growl. Nothing wrong with switching to a reputable product, but there are many other areas I would spend my money first. If I wanted a high HP car, I'd buy a Z06 or Viper ( well OK, I'd never buy a Viper). I usually buy the cars I do because of the handling, balance and styling. I've lightly modified a few cars but as far as engine performance and HP goes, these are great cars "out of the box".

I also think I've looked to modify my cars in the past out of boredom with the car and in many cases ended up selling the car soon after the mods were done. So in this case I'd say keep your money!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 997 gen 1. can anymore suggest an aftermarket air filter to replace the stock one and a silicon air intake also. does this mod make much difference to the hp. any help would be great.
On a NA engine, simple modifications like intake, exhaust, headers, ECU flashes will not provide sufficient power for you to note objectively (quarter mile, 60-130, trap speed.) It will likely alter your perception of the car (sounds better, deeper sound with exhaust, faster throttle with ECU flashes.) But it is doubtful that these simple changes will significantly change acceleration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts