Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying that I have been enjoying my (self-installed) MaxSpeed NHP exhaust for the last year or so. Great sound and looks like no other Cayman exhaust system that I have seen.

Ok, I'm sure you're wondering what in the world that has to do with the title of my post.

Well, I received an e-mail from the owner of MaxSpeed Motorsports today informing me that when I purchased my NHP Exhaust Tip, I was automatically entered in a sweepstakes...AND I WON! :banana:

After I convinced myself that this wasn't a Nigerian prince spam scam, I pounced on the reply button.

You can pictures of the seats at:

Porsche GT3 Carbon Fiber Seats

Not sure if it's karma or what, but Planet-9 introduced me to MaxSpeed, and I just made my first donation to Planet-9 last month!

I am F-I-R-E-D U-P. The seats are shipping at the end of this week. I am considering doing a self-install, but need to check the articles on Planet-9 to see if it's something worth tackling myself or if it's best left to the professionals.

Given that I have just signed up for the SCCA Autocross School in early spring, I'd better get it figured out soon!

Stay tuned - I'll plan to post pics, etc. when the seats arrive.

:dance:

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I am happy for you that you won the prize and it only seems fitting since they have not yet become a sponsor on this site, in fact I think I gave up pursuing them awhile back but maybe this is a sign that I should reach out to them again. Since these are replicas, do they have any testing certifications that come with them? My only concern with replicas seats is whether or not they are crash-worthy or have been crash tested to make sure they will hold up as well as the real thing. It's like buying a helmet, you could buy a real Bell helmet that has been tested and certified or you could buy a knock-off that hasn't for 1/2 the price, but is a couple hundred bucks worth the safety risk? They certainly look like the real deal and the updated seat design that came post Carrera GT days. If you need an installer in your area check with Napleton Porsche since they do all the Cayman Interseries cars, plus they can take care of the airbag programming at the same time.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Those are great points.

Here's a quote from MaxSpeed's FAQ's:

Q- Have these been crash tested are they really safe to use?

A- These have not been crash tested by any 3 rd party, they have not been approved by any 3 rd party either, we work with a reliable manufacturer who has a good track record and we firmly believe that these seats are safe, the carbon fiber shell is made of real carbon fiber, carbon fiber shells are extremely solid , carbon fiber is widely used in the racing industry, we assemble the tracks ourselves and we only use the best steel that is thick gauge steel for our floor mounts, sliders and side mounts, once bolted they are very solid, if you're worried that these seats flex and wiggle you have got the wrong impression. Once again we cannot make any guarantees or promises without the facts we don't believe that these will jeopardize your safety. If you need guarantees well then you must purchase the factory 997 GT3 Seats available at your local Porsche Dealer for a 10K+ premium.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
You know its good they put that on their site, also helps them from a liability standpoint if anyone ever did crash their car with a set of these and have a problem. It might be nice if they disclosed who the manufacturer was so you could check their track record for yourself, but I understand why they maybe wouldn't want to do that publicly for fear that people would just try to go buy them direct from the manufacturer.

Have you decided how/where to install them yet?

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know its good they put that on their site, also helps them from a liability standpoint if anyone ever did crash their car with a set of these and have a problem. It might be nice if they disclosed who the manufacturer was so you could check their track record for yourself, but I understand why they maybe wouldn't want to do that publicly for fear that people would just try to go buy them direct from the manufacturer.

Have you decided how/where to install them yet?
Well, I need to read your article on GT3 seat installs, plus I'll take a look at MaxSpeed's instructions before deciding. Their site says if you're a weekend DIYer....I think I qualify w/my SRP & catback self-install.

I've also asked Fall-Line Motorsports for an estimate for install - I'll keep Napleton in mind to be sure.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Very cool!! Congratulations. Its funny because I was just looking at those exact seats yesterday on ebay and really liked them compared to others. Also, I am planning on installing a fire extinguisher bracket to my stock seats and was hunting several stores today for an External Torx Socket which is needed to remove the seat rail bolts. If you decide to install your new seats yourself, you will need to get this tool (unless you happen to have one). The specific one you need is E12.

If you need to buy one save yourself the time and go to Sears. They have a 7 piece set for about $20. I tried seven different stores with no luck before heading to Sears. Home Depot and local hardware and autoparts stores did not have external torx sockets. Sears had them and many other specialty tools like the tamper proof torx drivers (the stars with a hole in the middle), tools for brake calipers, and snap ring pliers.

Good luck and enjoy.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
The seats themselves aren't that hard to install and it looks like they don't include the sub strap bar (something to ask them about btw if you plan to use a 5 or 6 point harness, will their custom brackets accept the factory bar because it doesn't look like it from the photos) once you get the seats in the real issue is turning off the airbag warning light, etc. you really need a PIWIS machine or equivalent which typically means a trip to the dealership.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very cool!! Congratulations. Its funny because I was just looking at those exact seats yesterday on ebay and really liked them compared to others. Also, I am planning on installing a fire extinguisher bracket to my stock seats and was hunting several stores today for an External Torx Socket which is needed to remove the seat rail bolts. If you decide to install your new seats yourself, you will need to get this tool (unless you happen to have one). The specific one you need is E12.

If you need to buy one save yourself the time and go to Sears. They have a 7 piece set for about $20. I tried seven different stores with no luck before heading to Sears. Home Depot and local hardware and autoparts stores did not have external torx sockets. Sears had them and many other specialty tools like the tamper proof torx drivers (the stars with a hole in the middle), tools for brake calipers, and snap ring pliers.

Good luck and enjoy.
Thanks Delman!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Im not sure what point is trying to be made with regards to you winning the seats and them not being a sponsor???

But...that is awesome!! They look great...strait out of a Carrera GT! Def post up some pix when you get those installed!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Congrats!!! Those GT3 Carbon replica seats are beautiful and I'm sure they are quite comfortable.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Congrats! You will absolutely love them!

Here are mine installed in my car:

I especially like the contrast of the black on the sand beige. Plus I just ordered some black floormats from Suncoast!

You are going to flip out when you pick one of these babies up with your finger!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I also have them. Very nice seats. Easy install but you have to disable both seat airbags. You also have to rewire the seatbelt, very easy. Unless you are planning to put them on and off several times, you do not need the Torx socket. A normal 3/8 socket will do the job. And for those anal about safety, I just do not get all the paranoia but I guess it ends up being a personal choice. For me, they are just bucket seats without any reclining mechanism so very little can go wrong in my mind. Probably that removing both seat airbags is the worst thing for safety, but the OEM GT3 do not have them either.

Also, I hope you are not too big because I’m 5 9 and 165 pounds and I’m already very tight there…

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I also have them. Very nice seats. Easy install but you have to disable both seat airbags. You also have to rewire the seatbelt, very easy. Unless you are planning to put them on and off several times, you do not need the Torx socket. A normal 3/8 socket will do the job. And for those anal about safety, I just do not get all the paranoia but I guess it ends up being a personal choice. For me, they are just bucket seats without any reclining mechanism so very little can go wrong in my mind. Probably that removing both seat airbags is the worst thing for safety, but the OEM GT3 do not have them either.

Also, I hope you are not too big because I’m 5 9 and 165 pounds and I’m already very tight there…
I'm going to disagree on just using a 3/8" socket, I tried this and the torque bolts started to strip. I'd suggest getting the reverse torque sockets for easy installation and tightening. Worth the $20 for an easy install.

I also agree about the safety issue paranoia. I don't see the problem either. The seat is 100% carbon fiber and extremely sturdy. All of the mounting brackets are solid construction too. I don't see where a problem could occur. But it's a "risk" if anything, I'm willing to take. I feel much more safer in these seats than my stock ones.

+1 on the tight fit. If you're anywhere over I'd say 190lbs and 6'+ this seat isn't for you. Definitely for the smaller person. It fits me like a glove. I'm 5'10 145lbs.

Seriously thought, you're going to love the seats. I was thinking about getting these back in April of last year and pulled the trigger when I got to sit in a Carrera GT at the PCA Hershey swap meet. You feel like you're in a real race car now and taking corners with these side bolsters is just bliss. Enjoy in good health :cheers:

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Let me start off by saying that I have been enjoying my (self-installed) MaxSpeed NHP exhaust for the last year or so. Great sound and looks like no other Cayman exhaust system that I have seen.

Ok, I'm sure you're wondering what in the world that has to do with the title of my post.

Well, I received an e-mail from the owner of MaxSpeed Motorsports today informing me that when I purchased my NHP Exhaust Tip, I was automatically entered in a sweepstakes...AND I WON! :banana:

After I convinced myself that this wasn't a Nigerian prince spam scam, I pounced on the reply button.

You can pictures of the seats at:

Porsche GT3 Carbon Fiber Seats

Not sure if it's karma or what, but Planet-9 introduced me to MaxSpeed, and I just made my first donation to Planet-9 last month!

I am F-I-R-E-D U-P. The seats are shipping at the end of this week. I am considering doing a self-install, but need to check the articles on Planet-9 to see if it's something worth tackling myself or if it's best left to the professionals.

Given that I have just signed up for the SCCA Autocross School in early spring, I'd better get it figured out soon!

Stay tuned - I'll plan to post pics, etc. when the seats arrive.

:dance:
Congrats, the seats look great. A 60 pound weight reduction is meaningful. I am looking forward to your impressions after they are installed and used at the track.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Congrats on the seats and all the better in the fact you had no idea you were in the prize draw!

Wish I would win something worthwhile occasionally ;)

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everybody. I still can't believe I won, either!

I'll be sure to post my impressions on the install, look, comfort, etc. as soon as I get them and install them!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts