Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
German - if the 997 GT3 is like the 996, there are no back seats.

brad

·
Registered
79 Posts
They compared a 9ff modded Cayman to a 997 GT3 in autobild:

The 997 GT3 was faster on the straights.... The 9ff Modded Cayman was faster around the track by 1/2 a second or so!!! Gotta love that mid-engine balance; here's some stats:

GT3 (3600 cc) / 9ff Cayman (4060 cc)

0-100 km/h 4,3 s 4,9 s

0-130 km/h 6,2 s 7,3 s

0-160 km/h 9,0 s 9,6 s

0-200 km/h 14,1 s 14,2 s

0-402,34 m 12,20 s 12,94 s

Track times:

Gt3 - 144.13

Cr42- 143.59

See link below for more info!

http://www.autobild.de/test/neuwagen/artikel.php?artikel_id=11780

Edited by - Chuck on 08/23/2006 10:20:10 PM

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you allfor the info. Not sure anymore if GT3 is a good replacement as a daily driver to the CS. Maybe 911S or Turbo ?

For now CS is the best animal on the road - this is confirmed by journalists of course (thanks to MPollard for bringing every bit of info about this /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/thumbsup.gif) but alsoby my friends who have driven my car. They all love it and their wives are getting nervous about their spouses getting a CS because one of their good friends (me) has such a cool toy /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/dance.gif/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/drive.gif

·
Registered
167 Posts
German,

I sold my 2004 GT3 to get the cayman. For what most of us are doing with these cars...daily driving, autocrossing and 10 or less track days a year, the Cayman is the perfect platform. I am actually faster around the race course in the cayman by 2 seconds due to the pasm,spt chrono and traction control. The Gt3 is scarry when pushed hard and there is no safety net. Now the new 997 gt3 will have some traction control and pasm so it might behave good enough at the track for the weekend warrier and be compliant and satifying to drive to the grocery. In 2 to 3 years a second hand low mileage GT3 might be the only realistic replacement for the cayman. That said I am thinking more of a cayman with DSG 320-350hp as my ultimate flexible platform.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Gmund,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the 996 GT3. If you buy a 2nd hand GT3 with low mileage do you take a risk of buying a car that has been trashed at the tracks or is it pretty safe ? I agree that a DSG Porsche would be great for daily driving. I have tested the DSG on the sporty VW's and it rocks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think its pretty safe if you know what to look for. There were alot of cars on the market when I sold my car that were low mileage, never tracked etc. A few track days a year is good for the car...I think anyway. Funny you talk of the vw dsg. I was thinking it would be fun to buy one of those or an audi hatch like the upcomming A1 for a track and daily driver car with some fuel economy to boot.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Members of my family own 2 996 GT3's and we all track them on a regular basis (I have a CS) and there is a big difference in lap times between the two cars. On street tires I can run a consistent 2min flat at Mont-Tremblant where they are running into the 1:47 range (with race tires though -sport cups). My brother is running a CS as well with the same sport cups and we are very close in terms or driving talent and he is about 2 sec faster per lap than me. That's still a big spread on a 2 min track. Having driven both GT3's and a GT2 on the track, I can tell you that the sensation is crazy...so much feedback and control. I was a bit fazed by the GT2 simply because of the awesome power; I had to short shift for several corners so as not to upset the rear too much and fry the tires/put it in the wall! The GT3 is the best bang for the buck if you are a track guy, bar none.

If you are looking to buy a GT3, you should just assume that they have seen track use...it's what they are for!

CR

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thank you allfor the info. Not sure anymore if GT3 is a good replacement as a daily driver to the CS. Maybe 911S or Turbo ?

For now CS is the best animal on the road - this is confirmed by journalists of course (thanks to MPollard for bringing every bit of info about this /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/thumbsup.gif) but alsoby my friends who have driven my car. They all love it and their wives are getting nervous about their spouses getting a CS because one of their good friends (me) has such a cool toy /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/dance.gif/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/drive.gif
Well its the same thing with me i have friends that owns S200 and 2006 corvette they were surprise how quick and fast my CS is. it was really fnny that my buddy that owns the corvette wanted to trade his car for a CS. people gets really jealous about my CAYMAN S. S MEANSE SUPERSTAR /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/dance.gif

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
i have owned and track several 996gt3's. has order on 997gt3 and gt3rs. if you intend to use GT3 as daily driver, you are buying the wrong car. yes, it can be driven daily, but that's not the callig of the car. it's like cutting cheese with butcher knive, you can do it, but why?

sensation of gt3 vs cs. stock to stock gt3 has more feedback. i have moton on my cs and my gt3. they have the same amount of feedback but cs if more neutral, no question and much better turn in. you can't accelerate out of corner as fast in a cs compared to GT3. i really dont find one car better than the other. one car is more expsnive than the other for sure. but better? no. they feel different. now if you stuff a gt3 motor/tranny/lsd into cayman, then that WILL BE BETTER.

s2k is a great car, i always thought so. then i rode in one thats reduced to 2500 lbs. WTF... it's an incredible car, so much so i am buying one after that single ride (keeping cayman or course).

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Mooty,

Why not reduce your Cayman to 2500 lbs? :)

very tempted, but to do that, i have to lose all the interior, i mean ALL. drop AC and kill stereo. car seems too nice to do that. i actually like driving it on street still. a new s2k can be had for 29k, seems much cheaper to gut the crap out of it. then another 15k to race prep it. still quite a bit less money than cayman. 15k on s2k will inc full custom cage, race seats, harness, motons etc.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've always loved the S2000...our old shop has built a few of them and there really is nothing quite like reving a motor to 9000rpm on every upshift. Not to mention the slickest gearbox ever and the hit and sound of VTEC hitting....very addictive! back in the day I had a Civic with a built GSR motor that I used to pick on Boxster S's all the time...it's fun being the underdog! Also due to the lack of grunt at lower rpm's, it takes a good driver to keep up with faster cars...not to mention the tail happy attitude of the S2000!

Here is a nice pic of a Mugen prep S2000 (with carbon fiber hardtop)

·
Registered
34 Posts
<div style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Tail happy is right. I lived with an S2000 once for a little over 5 months. Spun out 5 times in five months. Each time was unexpected because it was during normal driving in regular everyday “Normal-Civil Minded” commuting. Besides being harsh, hard and much too loud, I also lived in constant fear of a spinout. </div>
<div style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"></div>
<div style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Once I was sitting at a stoplight and the car did a 360. And my foot wasn’t even on the gas pedal. Ok, that last one was a joke. </div>
<div style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"></div>
<div style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">My brother-in-law totaled the car in a spinout. Never before seen family members so relieved to see acar's demise.</div>

·
Registered
263 Posts
<div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">Tail happy is right. I lived with an S2000 once for a little over 5 months. Spun out 5 times in five months. Each time was unexpected because it was during normal driving in regular everyday “Normal-Civil Minded” commuting. Besides being harsh, hard and much too loud, I also lived in constant fear of a spinout. </div>
<div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">

I daily drove a S2000 for two years - spun it twice: once for fun and the other time on an AutoX track. The S2000 gets a bad rap for being tail-happy because people don't know how to drive it. A drivers ed day should be a standard feature with the S2000.</div>

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
That car does not actually run, nor does 9ff sell anything that works for the Cayman. Just ask Arcticsilver he knows first hand.

I am confused. We are looking at actual real photos of the car driving down a street.

And I am sure you are speaking the truth,... but maybe we are having a misunderstanding as to the meaning of "run"? Could you explain a little more what you mean? Are we talking about who did the actual work on this car?..

Are the track results and track photos all just complete photoshop fakes? A very elaborate and wasteful usage of someone's time and money? I am very confused! :confused:

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
With PASM and climate control the new GT3 seems much more civilized than past versions. If folks drive turbos as daily drivers why not the new GT3?

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
With PASM and climate control the new GT3 seems much more civilized than past versions. If folks drive turbos as daily drivers why not the new GT3?
I drove a friend's 997 GT3 at a PCA autocross this last weekend. Four runs, 3rd TTOD right out of the box on street tires... an amazing automobile to be sure. I just might have to have one. To answer your question... the suspension on a 997 GT3 is substantially less civilized than the setup on the turbo... twin turbos are for cruising (I had a 996 version) GT3s are for racing.

brad

·
Registered
28 Posts
As an owner of a Honda s2000, I can testifty that once you're beyond 6,000 rpms the car will move. A few months ago I was actually keeping pace with a lightly modded 996 911 on the highway at speeds ranging up to 115 mph. It's always a blast to drive.....I always get out of the car with a smile. Nonetheless, I'm still wanting to trade it in for a cayman s. I've been the only owner of the car....bought it new in November 1999....only 13,500 miles.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts