Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market to buy a 997 GTS. Found one in Germany, but it has 50k miles on it. First time buying a Porsche, so not sure if the mileage is an issue typically. That is, barring standard conditions like how the car was maintained and driven, should I expect problems with a 2011 997 GTS with 50k on it?

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Generally speaking, every car well maintained should not be a problem. Check the car's history and have it inspected by your local dealer. Have him list:
1) current repairs needed.
2) routine preventive maintenance cost for the coming intervals.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
My 2011 GTS has 37,000 miles, which is on the high side in North America for a 911 of that vintage. When I bought it in August 2013, it had about 24,000 miles. I was initially a little concerned about the mileage, but the price was about $10,000 to $15,000 less than a similarly equipped car with mileage in the 5,000 to 15,000 range. I bought it from the dealer where it was initially purchased (and traded on a Panamera GTS) so all service records were available. I had the DME checked for overevs as it is a 6-speed (only present in range 1), and there were no issues with the car and maintenance had been done on schedule. If the car checks out and the price reflects the higher mileage, I wouldn't be concerned...50,000 miles just means the car has been a daily driver (a good thing, in my view) and/or used for numerous road trips where the mileage piles up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. Great forum, this planet 9. Now, excuse my newbieness, but I had to think a bit to understand what you meant. I guess DME is some kind of check? Range 1? Either way, over revving is something that can happen only through mods, as otherwise the rev limiter would block it? Happy New Year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Over revs can occur on downshifts when a lower gear is engaged at too high an rpm. Range 1 is hitting the rev limiter and is no problem, range 2 and above should be looked at more closely as apart from potential engine damage, getting an extended warranty can be problematic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it, thanks. The one I am looking at is a PDK. I thought the PDK a should prevent early downshifts? Or not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Got it, thanks. The one I am looking at is a PDK. I thought the PDK a should prevent early downshifts? Or not?
No concerns in that regard then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts