Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many on here still find themselves lusting after a 991 even though you have a 981?

As you can probably tell from my posts, even when I love a car I tend to fantasize about my next car. And lately I've been thinking about a CPO 991S.

Despite all the pro-cayman discussion I've read (most reviews are pro-cayman in terms of driving experience and engagement, although there are a few exceptions like the motor trend 2013 driver's car of the year review, where the crew clearly preferred the 991) I still find myself looking longingly at 991's and aspiring to get one.

I have to admit I prefer the 991 asthetic over the 981, but it's more than that. I think the 911's power as an icon resonates deeply in me. I always wanted one and while I try to tell myself that the 981CS satisfied that desire, I don't find it has.

Anyone else feel the same?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Nothing worse than wanting what you don't have and settling for something else. Life is short,If you can make the swap do it !

Cman21

·
Registered
851 Posts
Not me. I've never lusted after any 911, in fact they scare me a bit, its one of the few cars I've managed to spin. I'm pretty sure I don't have the driving skill necessary to make use of the virtues reviewers go on about for 911.

But that's just my opinion, you should do what makes you happy. I know the Cayman makes me happy.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I love my 981S. I wanted to try something different and don't regret it. My next car will probably be a 991S or a 991GTS. I often wish for more power and a touch more room

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
991 is 20% better car at 200% the cost. Same price/ money not an option, I'd get a 991 mainly for ego, but you really get everything you need out of a 981.

But yes, the 991 is bigger, faster, better, stronger. :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've test run a 991 S with the standard 400hp. There is indeed a big difference in available power. Since the car weighs roughly the same, it does accelerate much quicker. I do prefer the look of the Cayman over the Carrera, with the exception of a 991 equipped with the full Aerokit Cup option. I do hear it alot from Porsche people that the Cayman is the sportier and the better car dollar for dollar. But, yes, I'd take a 991S with Aerokit if it was closer in price to the wonderful 981.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Maybe a little different take on the theme.
I wanted top down driving, and the Boxster was in my price range. 991 Cab was at the upper end of what I could justify paying. I was a bit worried that every time I got in the Boxster I would think about a 991 (like "I could'a had a V8"). The local dealer had a Boxster and Cab out front and once I saw them side by side there was no contest.
After two weeks driving the Boxster in Germany I was convinced I made the right choice.

Now I wait for a nice Christmas present.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I wanted a roadster, already have a coupe in the 997, I think the 981 Boxster is the best looking roadster out there at any price. I don't like 911 in cabriolet form, don't care for the 997 or 991, it doesn't look good. IMO. I've driven the 991 on numerous occasions, C2S, C2, C4, C4S, it's faster but that's about it. The only 991 I would considered is the GT3 but I already have a PDK car in the 981 and will always have at least one MT sports car so the 991 GT3 will probably never be in my garage, unless I upgrade to a GTS with manual.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
The short answer is yes....but for all the wrong reasons. As shallow as it may seem, I do appreciate the prestige of a 911. It's the icon and one of the most beloved cars on the road. I work hard and I want to drive something that reflects my success. (yes I know it is a flaw) :) More importantly, I hate being second best. The 981 exudes that title as the "little brother" to the 911, or the "not a real Porsche" comments etc. But that part doesn't bother me as much as Porsche's obsession with keeping the 981 slower than the 911. It just perpetuates the myth that the 911 is a better car. It's not. It is a flawed and outdated design. I should be able to get a factory order 475hp 3.8L engine in my Boxster...and Porsche shouldn't have shifted to naming their sports car...they should have kept the tradition of a 9 something. That also irritates me.

So I have begrudgingly succumbed and fell victim to Porsche's excellent marketing strategy on how to extort as much money out of it's customers. I routinely get on the configurator and build a GT3 or a C4S with an aerokit. If I don't like the looks of a 911, I can at least fix it with these options. :).

The 981 in B or C form looks better - a lot better. Hands down. And I say that not because I own one and we are in a predominately 981 forum but because I only have to see people gawking at my car while ignoring the 911s. The 911 looks like a squashed beetle in most incarnations and the engine is also in the wrong spot.

After I read this for the fourth time, I decided to make an appointment with a local psychologist. lol

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Well at first I thought similarly but after having the Boxster GTS now for two months I am extremely satisfied and do not desire a 911 Cabriolet. I particularly love my GT Silver with all the gloss black trim. Don't get me wrong I always did and always will like the 911 but have no regrets with the Boxster GTS. It is plenty fast enough for me and any more power would just get me in trouble. Now having the GTS for 2 months I love the lines of the car especially the front. I do not feel like I settled with the Boxster GTS. I also see more people looking at my car then other 911's. Funny is I see 911 owners speed up to get a look at my car. I do not feel I have settled for a lesser Porsche. It is a blast to drive, only saddened that winter is coming and cannot enjoy it as much.

The short answer is yes....but for all the wrong reasons. As shallow as it may seem, I do appreciate the prestige of a 911. It's the icon and one of the most beloved cars on the road. I work hard and I want to drive something that reflects my success. (yes I know it is a flaw) :) More importantly, I hate being second best. The 981 exudes that title as the "little brother" to the 911, or the "not a real Porsche" comments etc. But that part doesn't bother me as much as Porsche's obsession with keeping the 981 slower than the 911. It just perpetuates the myth that the 911 is a better car. It's not. It is a flawed and outdated design. I should be able to get a factory order 475hp 3.8L engine in my Boxster...and Porsche shouldn't have shifted to naming their sports car...they should have kept the tradition of a 9 something. That also irritates me.

So I have begrudgingly succumbed and fell victim to Porsche's excellent marketing strategy on how to extort as much money out of it's customers. I routinely get on the configurator and build a GT3 or a C4S with an aerokit. If I don't like the looks of a 911, I can at least fix it with these options. :).

The 981 in B or C form looks better - a lot better. Hands down. And I say that not because I own one and we are in a predominately 981 forum but because I only have to see people gawking at my car while ignoring the 911s. The 911 looks like a squashed beetle in most incarnations and the engine is also in the wrong spot.

After I read this for the fourth time, I decided to make an appointment with a local psychologist. lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
I opted for the better designed car. Even though it is artificially de-tuned it is plenty fast enough for the street.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
How many on here still find themselves lusting after a 991 even though you have a 981?
You already know what the majority of the responses are going to be here and what they would be on a 991 forum so the question is a loaded one. Since I have been down this road, here is what I think.

I've been down this road (from a 987). I will repeat what I've said before. It depends upon what you are looking for. Money aside. You have to live with the cars for a long time to understand the nuances, not just a simple test drive or a weekend. It's the day to day living that matters. While the price can be much higher, the overall experience in daily life is, IMO, significantly different. You can't go wrong with either based upon what you want.

IMO, the 987CS was more "pure" in the sense the engine noises were right behind your ear. This matters to those who want to be entrenched in the sports car experience. It was easy to toss around, to easy, no effort required. A 911 is harder to drive. As both of us have driven mid-engined sports cars for the last four decades, it handled like it was supposed to. Acceleration, to me, was linear and smooth with no drama. The best I could describe it is "efficient". The car was very efficient in whatever it did. That is a compliment to the engineering. No drama, little effort, very efficient, exactly what we expected from a superior mid-engined car.

As far as I was concerned, performance "modding", for a piddling amount of increased HP, is never worth it other than the sense of being a hobby, something to do. Interior space was tight but we have lived with tight sports cars for decades. It's what we knew. But, my wife feels that is was more livable, day by day, by virtue of the hatch in that you can easily throw bags in the hatch vice using the frunk. She was disappointed in the 981 Cayman hatch in that it looked like you could get less bags in there. So there is the bottom line. The better half believed it was much easier to live with for almost a decade. Easy to access hatch. Easy to toss around. Easy to park. Light clutch. Efficient and made all the right sports car noises, a vehicle type she had been used to driving for four decades.

OTH, the 991, "feels" slightly bigger, more room in the front seats, the world's biggest glove box in the rear, not as convenient for bags since you need to push the seats back. Yet despite the slightly bigger feeling in the front, the lack of cubby holes and places to stash stuff is evident. However, it "feels" more substantial. It's the overall holistic feeling, just feeling more solid (if that makes sense) that matters. That is part of the price difference.

SPASM in sport mode feels much stiffer than the 987 on steel. Driveways are always a pain because one day the front lip is going to rip off (it's disposable in the sense its "Porsche" cheap to replace). Of course, acceleration is superior. The power is not as linear but just rips over 5K. The engine in the rear means the engine sounds are farther away, hence the sound symposer. Some people hate it and stuff it. Other love it and rip out the insulation to make it louder. Go figure.

I know some people think of it more as a GT. If one follows Sam Dawson's definition then yes, I believe it is. Having owned an air cooled 911, the difference in size is substantial. It's far more obvious if you see the generations side by side. So the GT moniker is not off base. However, the 981 is also a boat in comparison being three inches longer than a mid-1980s 911 and a whopping 1/2 foot wider. I find it amusing when people think a 991 is huge when a 981 is, virtually, just as large. In many ways, when we bought the Cayman, it felt like a boat. The modern cars are way to big for a proper sports car.

In terms of livabiity, on the 991, flip a switch and it turns from a docile grand tourer to very quick, harsher riding than my 987, sports car that make all the sounds and wailing that a flat six is supposed to make. In a sense, it's two faced. Maybe it's old age but I've taken to flipping on sports plus but setting pasm on normal around urban, crappy, roads.

The GTS is a bit ridiculous, a parts bin special, a means to slap a badge of the car, call it something else, and sell more cars. I believe it is not highly regarded as much of anything within the community. You can spec a 911 into a GTS. The badge just allows you to get the parts cheaper (not a bad thing). The GT3 is not really livable as a DD although some do. If you really read the 911 threads, in the end, some move on to a TT. The cost is going to be the same. I suggest you read Money's excellent comparison review between the 991S and GT3. I'd guess he will move on to a TTS in a year or two. I know some people dream of a GT3. We considered it. I have spoken to someone who does use one every day and the bottom line I got out of it was: Expect to "pay to play". In other words, expect high costs of maintenance, TCO, and aggravation with the axle lift, CL, etc. If you accept that, you are good to go. Bring cash, lots of it.

I know my wife views the 911 as being "more solid", whatever that means, not as useful for going to the store, etc. Clutch is much, much heavier (to her) than the Cayman. This is the only car she has accepted that when I drive with her, the radio never goes on. That says a lot. When she drives, I'm not sure if she uses the radio. Maybe not as much as in the Cayman.

In terms of looks, that is entirely subjective. Subshooter wrote: "The 981 in B or C form looks better - a lot better. Hands down. And I say that not because I own one and we are in a predominately 981 forum but because I only have to see people gawking at my car while ignoring the 911s.

IMO, the 981 Boxster is one of the best looking ragtops ever, and by that I mean ever produced. It is only exceeded by an E-Type Jag and possibly some early Ferraris. In 2012, when released, we spent some time in the configurator. My wife loved the idea of a Boxster. The 991 Cabrio is just not the same and only looks good with the top down from the rear. I think it might be because of the back seats. At the recent PCA corporate open house, I saw many, many cabrios and a few Boxsters. Virtually everyone had their top down and there were hundreds of cars. The Boxsters ALWAYs, to me, looks better. It has all the traditional Sports Car attributes. Proper sports cars are two seats, RWD, reach out the door and touch the ground, ragtops, and come in red, white, black, and yellow. With the top down, people are drawn to ragtops.

However, my somewhat recent experience at the PCA headquarters open house did not reflect Subshooter's observations. The crowds, and this was hundreds of people, were drawn to the 911 Turbos, GT3s, and 356 Cabrios, not to any 981. Clusters of people gathered around the older 911s and the 356s were always crowded. I also observed a Cayman owner parked with their spoiler up (which I never understood as it looked a bit silly and feeble next to a 930 whale tail).

When PCA handed out posters, every 911 poster was immediately scooped up. You couldn't get your hand in there without someone grabbing it away from you. When the Cayman posters came out, people grabbed them too (free) and then took them back. No one wanted them (this is a true story and probably reflective of sales). Maybe this event was a different crowd. OTH, at a recent PCA event I saw a racing yellow cayman and it looked great, IMO better than Speed Yellow. The wife would take that color in a Boxster in heartbeat.

So it's all about what you want. What do you want? Both do exactly what they are designed to do, and do so effectively and efficiently.

In the end, life is short. Whatever makes you happy. Don't worry about what others think. Worry about what you, and your better half, want.

If you take anything away from this, take this one thing. All this HP means little on the street. All of these cars are far more capable than 99% of the owners and you are most likely will never use it. All this "how the car looks" means little. What matters is how YOU think it looks. If you need validation from others, then its the wrong car. But there is a reason a 991 costs $40K more than a comparable 981 and that difference is not just in the HP but the overall, holistic "feel". You need to live with and feel the difference to see. And then only you can decide. I know I feel blessed to own any one of them.

good luck

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I came into this looking for a nimble track car, and I admit, I started looking a at 991 Carrera S models. These seemed to always price out to $130 K or more for me and this was above what I wanted to spend. Used 991 S's had not dropped much yet and most were set up as "pretty cars", lacking suspension upgrades.

Looked into the 981 and found a great little car, love the looks, the noise, and the handling. The only thing I will miss ( from the 991 S) is the straight line power.

If you only drive on streets and county, the 981 ( I have a GTS) has all the power you need. Tracking this car is what might make me wish I got a 991S ( or greater). Who knows, might have to put a 3.8 in it and fix that......

·
Registered
751 Posts
I never seriously considered a Porsche until the 981 came out. I appreciated the 911 particularly 997+ as well as the 987, but wasn't moved to buy a Porsche until the 981 was revealed. The only other vehicle that really moved me, but wasn't able to buy/justify at the time was the E46 M3.

Reactions: imi and blackmanx

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
When PCA handed out posters, every 911 poster was immediately scooped up. You couldn't get your hand in there without someone grabbing it away from you. When the Cayman posters came out, people grabbed them too (free) and then took them back. No one wanted them (this is a true story and probably reflective of sales). Maybe this event was a different crowd. OTH, at a recent PCA event I saw a racing yellow cayman and it looked great, IMO better than Speed Yellow. The wife would take that color in a Boxster in heartbeat.
You were at a Porsche event of course the 911 gets all the attention, it's an icon, it has heritage, the Boxster and Cayman is a car Porsche made for those who can't afford a 911. For the majority of the population, the 981 is a better looking car. A lot of non enthusiast confused it for a Ferrari, I noticed a lot of people who gives me compliments on my 981 doesn't know much about cars except that it looks pretty, what is it? I noticed those who compliment my 911 knows more about it. A lot of nice GT3 compliments, then I said it's not a GT3, then they look at the exhaust and say, "oh, it's not centered, nice 911!"

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
You were at a Porsche event of course the 911 gets all the attention, it's an icon, it has heritage, the Boxster and Cayman is a car Porsche made for those who can't afford a 911.
Yes, that is why I said "Maybe this event was a different crowd." The PCA crowd knew exactly what they were looking at, exactly what they wanted, and exactly what they were interested in. To be fair, neither 914/924/944/928s gather any attention either. 356s did.

I posted some of the Caymans and Boxster pictures here. http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-pictures-video/100410-pca-open-house-boxster-cayman-pictures.html My observation, and I was there all day, was that no one paid any attention to them. Among the enthusiasts, and I presume this crowd was packed with hundreds of Porsche enthusiasts, it's kind of hard to compete against a 356 Cabrio in concours condition with the top down or a 911R tribute car complete with plastic windows, gas cap in the center of the hood, and parked right in front of the PCA Headquarters door or a row of 930 turbos with whale tails, the recognized super cars of their day, never mind a plethora of older 911 Turbos, GT3s, and what looked like a race car or two with massive wings. And then there was a Carrera 2.7 RSR that convincingly looked like the real thing but obviously everyone knew was not. When I first saw it my jaw dropped and I wondered where Seinfeld was.

When a Cayman is parked with its wing up next to a 930 with a whale tail, you got to wonder "why" when that crowd knew what they were looking at. In another thread, someone said it's a "phase". IMO, that would be an embarrassing phase when parked next to a 930. It also looked like a boat next to the 930, much bigger. Weird how cars have gotten bigger, and not smaller considering all the eco, mileage, green stuff.

This does nothing to take away from the concept that I still think the 981 Boxster is a great looking ragtop. Cayman, not so much. I prefer the 987 smoother flowing lines better. But all of this is subjective. There are no right or wrong answers.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Chows the fact you didn't grab up all the Cayman posters to give to our members here is going to get you on the naughty list for Xmas! :p
LOL, I should have. I think my brain was preoccupied with free food. :banana:They were handing out free hotdogs and sodas. They had a little stand where you got in line for food. Had to wait a bit. The Executive director was giving a speech, handing out prizes, and giving tours of the offices. The tours were mobbed. Not sure why since it was just somebody's desks but they did have some old artifacts.

They had one of those tiny, tall, small tables out in the middle of the parking lot. Maybe 4 feet tall, round, and small top. First they dumped a bunch of posters on them. Nobody knew what they were but people just grabbed them. We were sitting in the few chairs there eating (hence my lack of interest ;)). I got up to see they were 918 posters and they were gone in minutes so they promised more.

Out comes another batch of posters, I got up again and it was a Cayman, grabbed one, sat down to eat. People actually put them back. I turned to my wife and told her to watch what was going on. It was weird. So now a pile of them remained and out comes a third batch of 997GTS Cabrio posters put on top of the second batch of posters. Again the crowd grabs them and they are physically gone. The Caymans remained.

Nah. I only took one, of each. But hindsight being 20/20, I should have grabbed all the Caymans and let you mail them out!!;)

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I can't see how this can be an issue for anyone that bought a new 981. I mean... are people so adverse to used cars that they'd buy a new car they didn't want rather than a slightly used one they see as their dream car?

For my part, I could have had a 911 Carrera for quite a bit less than I'm paying for my Boxster, and pretty much my pick of the litter when it comes to used cars. I clearly chose the car I wanted, and it wasn't a 911. No second guessing here.

Also... I just recently saw pics of the wind deflector in the 991 Cabrio. I get that it's functional, but that thing looks ridiculous. :D

1 - 20 of 58 Posts