Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I would like to say thank you in advance for trying to sort this issue out to you guys that always try to help out.

My A/C was running Cold then I noticed not so cold. I placed 134r to 35psi and AC started to blow cold again.

Then a few day later I noticed the car's engine was getting Hot and a/c would shut off so I had the thermostat changed and the car was no longer getting hot.
But the A/C was not blowing cold air just a little and small pieces of foam was coming out of the vents. So I had a mechanic look at it and he says everything in the A/C systems seems to be working as it should. Compressor works, clutch engages, 134 seems good, evaporator getting cold, Low and High pressure seems good, fan and blower turns on. Still no cold air just cool. When changing to heat it gives HOT air when changed to cold air only cool air blows. Also a weird thing is that my car horn seems very week.

Please help.... What do you think is going on.

Thanks again
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7L

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I would think the air diverter that switches between heat and cold isnt sealing or making it all the way over when going to cold, so u r getting some heat bypassing that diverter.

Is the ac colder when u start the car before the engine has a chance to warm up?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is the ac colder when u start the car before the engine has a chance to warm up? No it's about the same. One thing I do notice is that the low pressure line is not getting cold and the high pressure line is Super Hot. Behind the expansion valve there are 2 pipes and they are very cold.

Is the ac colder when u start the car before the engine has a chance to warm up? No it's about the same. One thing I do notice is that the low pressure line is not getting cold and the high pressure line is Super Hot. Behind the expansion valve there are 2 pipes and they are very cold.

Do you have a diagram of the air flow? Do you know where the Air Diverter is located?

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Have you checked to see if the cold air is being sent elsewhere? I.E. the defroster or floor outlets instead of the dash? The system should send the air to the dash vents when in Auto for AC unless manually selected elsewhere or broken.

Is the foam a dark brown? Could be the stuff they use for sealing and I think maybe sound deadening. Maybe a piece of that has come loose and blocked something.

I don't recall seeing an airflow diagram. You can probably get an idea from the PET parts catalog. There's a pdf in the site files or here, http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/usa/987C_USA_KATALOG.pdf

A weak horn could mean one has failed or maybe something electrical. Battery in good condition? Seems like a weak battery can cause all kinds of weirdness.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! The foam pieces are dark grey. When I switch between defrost, upper and lower vents all seems to change and just cool air. Now the strange part is if I close all vents for about 10 seconds and open 1 of the vents the first air comes out super cold. But after that its only cool.

12 Posts
I had exactly the same problem last year and Porsche have replaced the AC evaporator. That was the cause for not cold AC and grey foam disintegrated all around.
I was luck that my car was still under CPO warranty!
They told me the main reason why this happen is because the car was left too much stopped without air circulation

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thank you! The foam pieces are dark grey. When I switch between defrost, upper and lower vents all seems to change and just cool air. Now the strange part is if I close all vents for about 10 seconds and open 1 of the vents the first air comes out super cold. But after that its only cool.
Those are the same foam bits that fly around in my 996tt. It is probably parts aging, but haven't seen it from my 987...yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Found out the issue. When checked the Ambient air was 97 Degrees and it had 35 psi. Tonight the ambient was 81 Degrees so I placed 50psi Air is now blowing super cold. Thank you for all the help! Hope this chart helps others. Not responsible for over or under filling, use chart at your own risk.
FullSizeRender.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts