Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Problem: A/C - Leaky O-Rings

Thanks to my A/C suddenly blowing warm air in July and making weird compressor noises and weird engine compartment noises, my car went in about 1800 miles early for its 12,000 mile maintenance.

The malfunction began a day after enjoying a drive with other PCA folks out to Harper's Ferry, and then hightailing it back on US 340, breaking 100 mph on a couple stretches.

The Porsche dealer found two leaky O-rings ("lines 2 and 4") leaking underside at the rear connection to the firewall, draining all the freon out of the car. Both were replaced under warranty, freon recharged and all is dandy.

(That is, if one doesn't mind being hit up for $343 for the "10,000 mile service". Porsche of Tysons Corner promotes service at 10k intervals rather than 12k as stated in the maintenance manual. So actually they can argue I was 800 miles late for maintenance......)

I'm trying to figure out, after years of cars with A/C and no problems, how this particular car gets an A/C problem at 10,800 miles. I am curious if heat and high speeds cause such problems with the Cayman A/C in operation (e.g., O-rings breaking). Anyone else run into this?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Its a well known issue. I had the same problem on my 07 Cayman. If you search the forum you will find similar stories.

Hope everything is working out better now.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Re: Problem: A/C - Leaky O-Rings

I'm trying to figure out, after years of cars with A/C and no problems, how this particular car gets an A/C problem at 10,800 miles. I am curious if heat and high speeds cause such problems with the Cayman A/C in operation (e.g., O-rings breaking). Anyone else run into this?
I don't think it's a "normal" problem. I've got 75,000 miles on my car. I have driven long stretches (cross country) at high speeds without ever having any issues with my A/C.

As they say, YMMV... :cheers:

·
Registered
6,829 Posts

There have been a few reports of the A/C problem you describe - most of these seem to be that the driver doesn't use the A/C for long periods of time, then when needed the O-rings are dried out. I can't tell what your use has been, but it's a good idea to run your A/C once or twice a month for a little while, whether it's needed or not. There's lubricants in the refrigerant that keeps the O-rings from drying out.

brad

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts

I don't think there's a rash of problems here, but all Porsches are more at risk for leaky A/C O-rings over most other cars.

You have to remember,...the compressor is attached to the engine, then lines have to run up to the condensor right behind the front bumper, then to the evaporator in the dash, then back to the engine. Most other cars have all of this hardware in fairly close proximity to each other.

With the Cayman you have a good deal more lines and O-ring connections that are all susceptible to vibration, under car conditions, etc.

So blame the great mid-engine design of the Cayman,....great for handling, not so great for pumping freon around.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

There have been a few reports of the A/C problem you describe - most of these seem to be that the driver doesn't use the A/C for long periods of time, then when needed the O-rings are dried out. I can't tell what your use has been, but it's a good idea to run your A/C once or twice a month for a little while, whether it's needed or not. There's lubricants in the refrigerant that keeps the O-rings from drying out.

brad
Actually, quite heavy use of the air conditioning in June, although I had not had it on max A/C at any time, which is usually more efficient to cool the car down quickly.

Thanks all - sounds like I'm not alone on this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts