Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reason I shouldn't use A/C Pro to charge my system on my 06? I searched, and I nothing relevant is coming up.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
Unlike home air conditioners, automotive systems do naturally leak; some a small amount annually, others leak several ounces annually. An 06 needing a recharge is normal. Charge away with your favorite brand from the parts house; just be sure to buy a brand that has a a gauge and follow their directions.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Good to know. I had never experienced that............of course, the longest that I have kept a car in many, many years was my 08 CS for 3 years. So, that does not fit the OP's scenario.;

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Like a lot of other things on your car, your A/C system benefits from regular use if only for a few miles per month. There is oil in with the refrigerant gas that's running around in this sealed system. The oil lubes the compressor and is also good for the seals in the lines. If the oil doesn't get circulated around, compressor seals can dry out, cease to swell and leak around the shaft. Compressor seals often re-heal when the compressor gets used again....but by then, you've lost some gas and need more. This is why you notice low refrigerant more often after long storage of your car...or after just not turning it on for a long time, which is effectively the same thing.

You can avoid a lot of this if you run your A/C every month for 10 miles or so. Temp can be up high if it's cold out or you can run the max defrost or whatever setting will turn on the compressor. It just needs to turn and circulate the oil for a few miles.

Often, a small leak can be repaired with the leak-seal in these products. Works well for small leaks. They use this stuff in the A/C systems of manned space thingies. Doesn't hurt the system or its efficiency if it's not over-done. (More isn't better!) Follow the directions that come with the can or are on the internet videos from A/C Pro or Johnsen's and you'll be good. There are some really informative videos online to help.

This is a lot easier and less dangerous than it used to be. There are different fittings on the high and low pressure fittings on the cars. The charging hoses will only fit the low pressure side.

Use the Made in China versions at your own risk. Chinese gas, cans, fittings and hoses have all been shown to be not quite as good and not as consistent as the brand names. Bad refrigerant gas especially can cause some serious problems.

Finally, if you do have a serious leak, get the system checked out by a pro and get the source of the leak fixed. The leak-seal out of the can won't fix a big leak.

:cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.