Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting time to think about a new Cayman or Boxster so I went on line and filled out a questionnaire. (Big Mistake! I'm getting all kinds of calls. Only one so far has been productive.) Anyway, I get a phone call from an agency in Detroit that wants to help me find a car.

I answered the phone and a guy says, "Sir, are you looking for a Cayman?"

I said, "Yes I am."

Caller said, "Are you looking at any other luxury SUVs?" (I'm thinking, "What the heck is he talking about?" :crazy: )

I said, "No, a Cayman is not an SUV."

Caller said, "Sir, yes it is. The Cayman is the Porsche SUV." (He said it with great authority.)

With even more authority, I said, "No. The Cayenne is the Porsche SUV. The Cayman is a two-door sports coupe and if you don't know the difference you won't be much help will you?"

I hung up. :taunt:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Huh. I might have been tempted to spell out the name and say: "if you can find a Cayman C A Y M A N SUV I'll buy it!"

Reactions: HassaanAbdeen

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'd bet money if I asked people on the streets of Boston what kind of car a Porsche Cayman is, at least 9 out of 10 would say it's an SUV.

Caymans are actually rare enough that some people have either not seen one, or wouldn't know what it was if they did (when I go into gas stations, kids will tell me "sweet 911" or a "sweet Porsh"). About 29,300 Caymans have been sold in the US since 2006, whereas about 118,000 Cayennes have been sold in the same time. Moreover, most people want an SUV, and the idea of owning a 2-seat sports car is unfathomable, so they don't pay attention to the 2-seat sports cars.

·
Registered
625 Posts
It's the hatch. Must have thrown them off, having all the space behind the seats ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
With even more authority, I said, "No. The Cayenne is the Porsche SUV. "
When I bought my Cayman I was telling a car guy friend of mine about how excited I was, after talking about all the options he finally said 'I never really saw you as being the SUV type'. So it's not just non car people. He had completely blocked out the concept of the 'boxster-coupe'.

·
Registered
245 Posts
More than half the people whom I've told about my Cayman (GT4) are expecting me to pull up in an SUV. This should be quite a shock.

And yes, these are my car friends. People with awesome cars who hang out at C&C's, etc. So it's a very common mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
More than half the people whom I've told about my Cayman (GT4) are expecting me to pull up in an SUV. This should be quite a shock.

And yes, these are my car friends. People with awesome cars who hang out at C&C's, etc. So it's a very common mistake.

They must be coming for the coffee, then. :hilarious:
The real car guys/girls in my world know about EVERY new sports car in detail within hours of its official announcement, if not before.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
245 Posts
They must be coming for the coffee, then. :hilarious:
The real car guys/girls in my world know about EVERY new sports car in detail within hours of its official announcement, if not before.
Well, the last guy who said "hmm, a yellow SUV, huh?" Has a 458 and an RS7 incoming. Caymans are maybe below his radar?

Actually, I rarely see Caymans around here ever. I know it's not a very popular car in general, but I rarely see them at all (987 or 981).

He did ask for a ride when it arrives. I think he will be surprised with my SUV that has 4" of ground clearance. :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yeah, when I was shopping around for mine I was at a buddy's birthday dinner and he was asking me what I test drove that evening. I mentioned the Cayman and his friend, who is also a self proclaimed car aficionado, just sort of groaned and said something about how ugly the Cayman was, "the rear end Porsche forgot about, ewww, that's hideous." His wife seemed to agree. I just looked at my wife and was like, humph, I think it's pretty sexy looking, but different strokes and all. Then a bit later, he started going on about my buying an SUV -- it all clicked; I corrected him.

·
Registered
453 Posts
When I bought the Cayman I was shopping for car insurance and requested quotes from different insurance agencies...I would say that about 80% of the quotes I got back were for a Porsche Cayenne of the same year :)
This despite the fact that my request for those quotes was WRITTEN down (as Cayman) in my email.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'd bet money if I asked people on the streets of Boston what kind of car a Porsche Cayman is, at least 9 out of 10 would say it's an SUV.

Caymans are actually rare enough that some people have either not seen one, or wouldn't know what it was if they did (when I go into gas stations, kids will tell me "sweet 911" or a "sweet Porsh"). About 29,300 Caymans have been sold in the US since 2006, whereas about 118,000 Cayennes have been sold in the same time. Moreover, most people want an SUV, and the idea of owning a 2-seat sports car is unfathomable, so they don't pay attention to the 2-seat sports cars.
According to the April Panorama, Porsche sales for February 2015:
Cayman 232 units
Cayenne 1046 units

The Cayenne outsold the Cayman by almost 5:1!

and just for completeness, the rest -
Boxster 211
911 633
Panamera 442
918 14
Macan 624

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Cayman 232 units
Cayenne 1046 units

Boxster 211
911 633
Panamera 442
918 14
Macan 624
Yep. Scary thing is the Macan is heavily supply constrained (Panamera sales are also tailing off as the next generation approaches). US Macan allocations are being increased by 80% (~10K units/year -> ~18K units/year) next month.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Cayman 232 units
Cayenne 1046 units

Boxster 211
911 633
Panamera 442
918 14
Macan 624
I'm pleased to be one of the scarce 232 units sold in February.
Just shy of the magic 2k mile mark.
Redline, here I come! :drivingskid:

·
Registered
425 Posts
So it seems all of us have had our car confused for an SUV because both names start with a 'k' sound and end with an 'n' sound.

The anonymity is even better at the track when other car owners sheepishly approach you after you've lapped them at the track and ask 'What have you done to this thing?'. For which the appropriate answer is 'I've just driven the piss out of it'.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Caymans are unicorns.

Consider this, in the launch years of a new generation (and nearly every year before the financial crisis), Chevrolet sells as many or more Corvettes in the US than all the Caymans sold in the US (ever) since it was available for sale in 2006.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Caymans are unicorns.

Consider this, in the launch years of a new generation (and nearly every year before the financial crisis), Chevrolet sells as many or more Corvettes in the US than all the Caymans sold in the US (ever) since it was available for sale in 2006.
One of my employees liked my 2008 Cayman so much he bought a 2007. When I decided to replace my 2008 with a 2010 CS another employee liked both our cars so much that he bought my 2008. So despite the rarity we have 3 parked in our lot at work. That's more Cayman's than our local dealer has. We make a nice little row of SUVs.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
One of my employees liked my 2008 Cayman so much he bought a 2007. When I decided to replace my 2008 with a 2010 CS another employee liked both our cars so much that he bought my 2008. So despite the rarity we have 3 parked in our lot at work. That's more Cayman's than our local dealer has. We make a nice little row of SUVs.
Your workplace parking lot typically contains a bit more more than 0.01% of all Porsche Caymans sold in the United States. There are probably Cars & Coffee events in some areas that have > 0.1% of all Caymans sold in the US at a given moment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts