Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the back story...

I've had a 2015 base Cayman - for 2 months.
When I originally picked it up, I noticed that the coolant popper was in the low position.
I didn't think much about it because I didn't think they would give me a car that was low on coolant.
So I kept my eye on the water and oil temps for the last 2 months.
The water was always 194 (I'm aware of the 194-221 deal), and the oil was usually around 190-225.

I was at the dealer last Wednesday for a different issue and I asked them to check and add coolant if needed.
When I picked the car up the coolant popper was now in the top position, ok all good.

Later that night, I happened to look underneath the car and saw a Pink silver dollar size puddle.
When I check the coolant level the popper was again in the low position.

When I checked on Planet 9 I found this:
"My dealer told me that if you drive the card hard for pro-longed
times the coolant heats up and expands and some of it gets dumped - overflows.
And basically most Caymans after few 100 miles will show no coolant
when checked via the Min-Max marks.
All of them will need approximately .75 liter - 20 oz.
But basically, the dealer feels that if you go by the min - max thing you will
continually add coolant and car will continually dump it."

Can this be True??

I was wondering if some of you fine folks would mind going out to your car and checking whether your coolant popper
is in the up or down position.

Thanks very much
-Bob

·
Registered
79 Posts
Never really thought about this because the manual states that we'll receive a low coolant warning light if the level becomes too low.

That said, the "popper" on my car (1,300 miles) is in the minimum (down) position with NO low coolant warning.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
OK, I had never checked mine (since buying the car -- used 16k miles from a dealer -- last Oct) so I decided I'd better although I haven't had any cooling issues in the past 1,000 miles. At any rate, mine is in the lower position. And, if I had to guess it has been that way for a while :)

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Red floater stuck down on minimum. A little damp on the lower blue platform. 1800 miles.

And thanks for giving me something else to obsess about... ;)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Same situation with mine, with similar response from the dealer. In conclusion, he stated that the best way to check the coolant is to put the top in service position and check it from under the top cover. I don't know exactly what I will be looking for when I do that, and I don't intend to check it again until I do the 40k service over the summer. Also, I guess he is implying that the "popper" thing is kind of useless. I'll report back in August! :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
After 250 miles in my new 2015 Cayman GTS, I had to add .4 quart Mobil 1 0-40 to bring the oil up to full with the top (overfill) bar empty. Then checked coolant. Red popper in down position. Mix Porsche coolant with distilled water and start adding a cup or less at a time. Probably took about 10 ounces to bring popper halfway between min/ max. Checked again last weeked at 500 miles and popper is down. I agree that trying to keep the popper between min/ max could end up being a second job. You must check the coolant when it is cold. You add enough to bring it up to the max line. Then you drive the car, it heats up/ expands and dumps coolant. Looks like that is the way it is.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
If these work out anything like the 987 once the air is out the level will stabilize. That is unless you have a leak or change something. Think I added about a quart during break in. Hasn't moved since. My experience seemed to be typical from similar threads when the 987 was new.

One thing that appeared fairly common in those threads for the cars that didn't stabilize was the blue pressure cap on the expansion tank being just a little loose. Not loose enough to dump a lot, just leak a little. Unfortunately the 981 isn't as easy to check. If you go that far there will be a little pinkish, white dried coolant on top of the black tank.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Funny, drove the car hard after I changed the oil over the weekend, mine then dumped a bit of coolant as well, no low warning. Popper is on low. It seems that is an issue, over in Germany there is a long discussion about this matter.
Startseite - PFF - unabhängiges Porsche-Magazin & Forum
Ja, aber wir kann nicht Deutsch lesen (oder shprechen). Was sagt man dort (auf Englisch, bitte!) . . .

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yep, the popper on my CGTS is at the low position at 2k miles. My previous car was a M3 that had the same issue.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This thread is making me feel a lot better... I just did a 2-day DE here in Texas this weekend and the afternoon temps were about 90-92(F)... On day 1, I did 4 very hard runs of 20-25 minutes over the day. I run in Sport-Plus, PDK-Auto on track... so I'm basically at 6000-7500 RPM the whole time. Engine temp (oil) goes to 255(F)...Coolant about 102(C) or 216(F)...

The following morning I got a "Low Coolant" warning... "Check and refill Reserve"... which was VERY CONCERNING... I've had the car over 2 years... and have done 6 other DE's with it and never saw this.

I also had my 2 year service in May (4 months before the event).... They should have checked the coolant level... maybe they did? Maybe they didn't?

Anyway, my car took 58 ounces of fluid to get the "popper" to rise... 16oz of Motul "Mo-Cool".. a "water wetter"... and 42 ounces of water...

I'm going to have dealership look it over... I suppose it "dumped" excess from warm/hot track event...

I don't know what "limit" the indicator comes on dash... but mine did at 58 ounces low. FYI for other guys that track their car.

The good news... I didn't have an excessive engine or oil overheating, beyond what you normally get at track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts