Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lost use of my 2015 Cayman S awaiting parts from Germany, so says the parts department. This is going to make me rethink my decision to go with a low volume German car. I never had to wait more than 2 days for GM parts....
Larry

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ouch. Reminds me of a friend's Saab 99EMS, always int he shop awaiting parts; we used to joke that parts arrived by Viking ship. Later, we revised that to plate tectonics -- they left the parts on the dock in Sweden, and waited for the continents to move closer together.

My brother sued to work as an expeditor for Volkswagen of America back in the day, including Porsche involvement (I recall an entire 911 body-in-white sitting the warehouse pallet racking), they used to have "unit down" status for getting parts FAST if needed because someone's car was out of service. Maybe they don't do that anymore?

Reactions: LouCipo

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I have lost use of my 2015 Cayman S awaiting parts from Germany, so says the parts department. This is going to make me rethink my decision to go with a low volume German car. I never had to wait more than 2 days for GM parts....
Larry
So what is wrong with your 2015 CS? Did you get a decent loaner? I would also not be happy...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not going to into what is wrong except to say that it is not a warranty issue, but I am awaiting Porsche parts. My dealer has no obligation to provide a loaner.
Larry

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Well, if we can't know why it's in for service, we can't really judge whether it's an issue to blame on Porsche. Frankly, I've been in for many services on my Cayman, all with loaners even at a dealer I didn't purchase from. The most recent issue had to have parts from Germany and they overnighted them. I'm really happy with how they have their act together.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If it is an aftermarket part that caused a problem they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem before denying warranty coverage. That was tried on me with my aftermarket stereo and my wife who used to specialize in defending car dealerships won that argument quick and my car got fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Well, if we can't know why it's in for service, we can't really judge whether it's an issue to blame on Porsche. Frankly, I've been in for many services on my Cayman, all with loaners even at a dealer I didn't purchase from. The most recent issue had to have parts from Germany and they overnighted them. I'm really happy with how they have their act together.
His earlier response seems to acknowledge that the problem is nothing to be blamed on Porsche. He just wishes the pieces to fix it could get here quicker. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I need some body parts, read between the lines. Why shouldn't I blame Porsche USA? You go to the parts department to buy the parts, they look up the numbers, place the order and then tell you they have to come from Germany. These are not obscure parts; they are obvious parts for stocking in the USA. So why aren't they stocked in the USA? Too early in the model year? I think not, my car was delivered in July so my opinion is that these parts should have been available about then. I am simply saying that this is an obstacle I never expected and never encountered in 50 years of owning GM cars.
Larry

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am not going to into what is wrong except to say that it is not a warranty issue, but I am awaiting Porsche parts. My dealer has no obligation to provide a loaner.
Larry
I think that may say more about your Dealer than anything else.

My local Audi Porsche dealer, Zimbrick has been very helpful. They last time I had to have service on my Audi, the loaned me an new A4 at no cost for the weekend while they replaced the wheel bearings. My car is long out of of warranty.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ownership of a lower volume, foreign car than, say the Camaro is going to get you that from time to time, period.

Obviously, he has had an accident or damaged something on his car himself and is upset that they're not overnighting the part from Germany, or they don't have it sitting on a shelf in Anytown, USA. Since you won't divulge what parts you need...what response are you looking for on this forum? If it is a very common part that people frequently have to replace or have fixed they probably should have them in stock. Apparently it's not worth owning the car if you can't drive down the street and find every part you need any day of the week? Trade it in for a Mustang GT. Then, not only will the parts department ALWAYS have your part, so will 12 of your neighbors.

:hilarious:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You gave me the response I am looking for....expect this if you need parts. I already had concerns about my dealer/service being located 2.5 hours away, but I blew through that by leasing and knowing that any service would have them retrieve the car if I could not drive it there. I simply did not think about parts and I fully expected that anything I might need would be no further away(measured in days) than if I had bought American. Wrong! Others can ignore my particular concern but it is going to make me think hard when the lease is up.
Larry

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Why shouldn't I blame Porsche USA?
I meant that you're not blaming them for whatever happened that lead you to needing the parts in the first place. :) Maybe I misread the context in Art's response, which I was replying to.

If it were Porsche's fault that you needed the parts then you could reasonably expect them to go out of their way to get them quicker. As that's not the case... then I'd imagine it's just luck of the draw that they're not locally available but that if you wanted them over-nighted or something then you'd be expected to pay dearly for that sort of service if such a thing were even offered.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Sometimes the good things are worth waiting for. :)

I had one of the first 1997 Integra Type Rs in western Canada, and within three days of taking delivery the rear wing was removed with a crowbar in an underground parking garage. It took two months to get a new wing from Japan. With any semi- or truly-exclusive vehicle, I think delays on some replacement parts could be expected.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
..... but it is going to make me think hard when the lease is up.
Larry
If you need the car on a daily basis and having an instant supply of any component is a critical concern, then yes I would imagine it would cause you to think hard when the lease is up. Sorry you got surprised on this factor in owning a unique sports car. I had a friend that crashed his brand new Z3 when they first came out and it took him over 2 months to get the replacement parts from "far away" South Carolina --- as all the body components were going into new production and they had not manufactured any for spares.... good luck with your repair and hopefully the parts get here soon and you can get back on the road..

·
Registered
688 Posts
You can always get caught on parts availability. All manufacturers use statistical analysis to decide what parts to stock where. Worst case for me was the lack of brake pads in North America for a Boxster. They just didn't believe they would need them the first month the car was on the market. After all, nobody would track a Porsche that quickly after launch? I tracked mine 2 days after delivery! :drivingskid:

If you were to say which parts, it would be easier to comment on expectations. A week for brake pads, not so much, a week for an engine, maybe.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Larry
Obviously you are not happy about this. I guess if this is something that is going to happen on [even] an infrequent basis, then maybe a GM car would be better for you. I had my first Cayman for 3 years & approx. 40K miles. The only thing that ever broke was a clutch relay switch, that was a known issue and fixed while I waited. My new 14 Cayman has been perfect so far (5K miles). I like these cars so much that even if I did have to wait a couple days for a part, I wouldn't "rethink" anything. I enjoy my car 3xx days/year. A couple days out of commission seems trivial. Don't sweat it, hombre'

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Apparently I just need to recalibrate my thinking and not be so impatient, a tall order for me. OK, I will try. Appreciate the counsel.
Larry

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think I know where the TS is coming from though. Whether German, Japanese, Korean, or American, I would expect front and rear bumpers to be held in stock (perhaps even quarter panels) - everyone has fender benders every now and then. I wouldn't blame them if they didn't have an entire roof panel, or door skin, on inventory. If they don't stock something as basic as bumpers, what does the parts department have, only oil and air filters?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts