Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these will sound odd, but whatever. My 987.1 Boxster S was an unfortunate casualty to the fires in Santa Rosa. I had parked her at some friends' house, but sadly, the house was in the fire path. The house survived with some damage, but the garage and cars (two Porsches and Ferrari) were a total loss.

So what to do now...

1- How much does the engine block in the 987.1 weigh? No fluids, no plastic bits, etc..., just the block, nothing else. We're thinking about trying to make some sort of art or coffee table from the (obviously cleaned up) engine blocks as a cheeky automotive shrine to the loss.

2- What would you do if you had a burned up engine block to be creative with?

3- Are the front and rear bumpers made of fiberglass reinforced plastic? If yes, I suspect there is a lot of fiberglass dust in the remaining ash.

Okay, more questions if I think of any.

Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
I don't have the answer, but the Ferrari block coffee table I've seen on Top Gear is really cool. That block is gutted, i.e. it has not heads, crank, rods, pistons, etc. It is a raw block but fully clean with a glass top. That is worth doing! Good luck with it.
PS. My condolences on your Boxster, it must have hurt!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bumpers are not fiberglass, so no worry there. In looking at the painful photo of your car, the heat was intense given the burned wheels. You might find that a substantial portion of the engine has also been deformed. I guess I would tend to think along the lines of Budman, that this is not a good reminder. That said, I still have a couple of twisted bits from a many years ago Formula Ford in my office.
Good luck with whatever you come up with.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Really sorry about your loss and those of your friend. I live in Windsor so am quite aware of the aftermath. IMO I wouldn't keep any reminders of those days.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a chance to dig into the remains, and I suspect as mentioned earlier that engine block is no longer intact. My buddy's 458 was reduced to a puddle. Aluminum engine block was completely gone, only the spark plugs, cam shafts and ceramic brake rotors were identifiable. The inside of his garage must have been unbelievably hot.

Anyway, I'll come up with some little shrine to the Boxster. I can't just let it go off to some ignominious death, unloved and unappreciated. Other than that stupid Bose stereo, I really liked that car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.