Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is covered somewhere already, I did a search and did not find anything specific to Boxsters.

1) Just bought a CPO 2014 Boxster S. I prefer to do all my basic service (e.g. oil changes, brakes, etc.) does this violate my Porsche warranty (mine expires August 2020)?
2) When I picked up the car the trunk light was not on, but after they brought into the service department it was one. We went round and round on this as a few times more the light was out. I finally just asked them to replace the bulb which they did. But today I found the light out and then later the light was on. Is there some magic involved with the trunk light? Some switch somewhere that is flaky but not controlling the trunk latch release?
3) My rearview mirror does not dim, but I see on ebay people selling OEM dimming ones. Is there electrical typically already setup? Any videos on replacing it? Not a big deal so I could live with out it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Go and talk to your local P-dealers. Its really a personal thing. If you find a dealer that you can work with, you can do tons of stuff yourself without risking the warranty. My local one was totally cool. The one thing is they just wanted to make sure I OEM parts (aka-filters etc) for what I did. Took them the receipts and all was good. Good luck!

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Welcome to the club!

You can do your own service fine. Just document it really well and attach the receipts so you can produce them if inquired.

Trunk light is a 50 cents piece of plastic+bulb. I bet there is some connection loose somewhere there. Just pop it out of the carpet and look.

You can replace your mirror with auto dimming and wiring will probably be there somewhere. The question is do you want to? I find auto-dimming not dim enough, and much prefer manual where when you click it - you *really* dimmed it!

·
Registered
34,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks about the adviser. When I purchased the car the trunk light was randomly working. Rather than sit while they tore into the trunk I opted to take the car with the plan to visit a dealer later. This would make a good opportunity for me to find an adviser and ask about the DIY work.

As for the dimming mirror, one of the ebay offers says they cannot be retrofitted so I'm not going to try. And your point about dimming not being dim enough is well taken. So best to leave things alone for now.

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Thanks about the adviser. When I purchased the car the trunk light was randomly working. Rather than sit while they tore into the trunk I opted to take the car with the plan to visit a dealer later. This would make a good opportunity for me to find an adviser and ask about the DIY work.

As for the dimming mirror, one of the ebay offers says they cannot be retrofitted so I'm not going to try. And your point about dimming not being dim enough is well taken. So best to leave things alone for now.
I know about the mirror because I did retrofitted generic GENTEX mirror with camera display instead of my stock mirror. Few other people did too. It's as simple as poppingthe old mirror from the ball mount and popping in the new one. Then you need find power.

I liked the dimming of stock manual mirror much better than autodimming of my new mirror.

·
Registered
280 Posts
No manufacturer can deny a warranty claim because you did certain work yourself unless they can meet their burden of proof (important in law) to establish two things: 1. You did the work improperly, and 2. Your improper work was a substantial causal factor in the issue which created the warranty claim. You do not need to depend on the indulgence of dealers. This is federal and, generally speaking, state law.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.