Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope it's just a minor issue but someone can shed some light on what could be the problem.

On Friday I started hearing a knock in my 991 turbo at the rear bottom of the car, close to the rear wheel when making u-turns or left turns. The knock is very clear, just a single knock like somebody knocking at the bottom of the car. Again a single knock but can be felt through the armrest as I rest my arm on it. I feel like it has to do with the rear wheel steering system but I could be wrong. Defiantly I didn't hit anything with the car, not even a pothole. It has only 1400 km on the clock.

Dropped the car on Saturday. Today, I went to pick it up. They told me they just tightened the suspensions. And the knock is gone. Took the car out and it's still there. So I dropped it back and left with a Cayenne loaner after almost losing it with the service manager for not solving it in 24 hours still.

Searched the net, nothing related to what I experience. There's no hesitation in the steering. It happens almost 90% on all u-turns at less than 10 km/hr speed. And has nothing to do with temperature outside or oil temperature. And no, the steering is not tightly turned to experience this knock.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. And when I get it sorted out inshallah I'll share it with you guys to help our future fellows.

·
Super Moderator
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're checking everything as per him today. They said they re-adjusted all four steering arms. Tomorrow they'll re-align the wheels and get back to me.

They have been very nice to me. But I just want my toy back. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Hassaan this might sound silly, but....... Any unremoved "shipping" protective pieces? You know sometimes they forget things, they come undone and we get our heart attacks.......hopefully it's nothing serious. Please keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ trust it was the first thing on my mind. But I left the technicians diagnose her till now. Tomorrow, God forbid if she's not ready, I'll jump in with lessons learned online ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I went without being called in to check on her. They said they just finished test driving it and all is good. They consulted with Porsche Middle East and they were advised to readjust all suspensions, steering and wheels... So they did.

Took the car out for a drive with the technician. First few u-turns, no thump/knock till I downshifted heavily to catch a u-turn and there it was again as I turned but the sound was lighter to the ears and arm on the armrest. I even heard a hollow sound on a light wide bump afterwards approached at normal speed. Over the bump the sound was like there's a gap somewhere getting something to play.

Made half a dozen u-turns afterwards but the sound didn't come back again. Only once in a turn and once on a bump. The tech was sorry, I tried to stay positive and left with the loaner; Cayenne.

Didn't feel in a mood to go back to work so I went back home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also, I think a knock that I've heard on my different 997s sounds a little like the brake pad had a little play to it. Very rarely do I hear it, but it always involved turning at lower speed when pressing the brake and it's always a single knock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Hassaan, understand why this is so frustrating for you .... as it would drive me up the wall also. At least the tech was with you on your run and heard it to -- hopefully that will give them enough to get it fixed. Hoping for a quick resolution for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts